The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:52 pm 

Josepha, I could never write this...maybe some years from now?

For now, I'm still floating often between understanding and not understanding, how all the work in interconnected. The connections are sometimes very hard for me to understand and to keep straight in my mind. The progressions, what to look for at one stage that tells you are ready for the next, what a movement should look like, how to tell if a horse is using him/herself in a good and healthy way, if there is enough energy asked, if there is enough relaxation, how the rider affects the horse (negatively and positively). Just because I am getting to a certain place with Tam, does not mean that I understand how I got there. There is SO much to know.

I see all of this information at times like a tangle of threads. Each thread is linked to another, or the threads can split and connect with two or more other threads and those threads connect to other threads...if it were all laid out correctly it would look something like a net...neat, tidy and it makes sense when you look at it. For now, I still have much of it a jumbled pile and I'm not sure mine is a nice net at all...there are holes in it that need repairing, etc.

I have a LONG way to go and may never have it clear in my mind. I envy your ability to simply lay that net out...all neat and tidy! :kiss:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

ha ha ! thank you, but it took me over 20 years to untangle my net! :funny:
And with some horses I meet, it tangles all over again :roll: 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:33 pm 

I just wanted to say that although I am not riding my horses yet, it is still a VERY useful and wonderful topic - it makes sense, even for doing groundwork.

Quote:
Just because I am getting to a certain place with Tam, does not mean that I understand how I got there. There is SO much to know.

And this I also understand very well. The feeling that "oh...now we are here? we can do that!" is very familiar to me and I have also puzzled over the fact that "I have no idea how this all came together to be so...". I think I just trust my instincts and trust the process. But I am still lacking a lot of knowledge and structure...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:40 pm 

Hi Josepha:
Even though I've been trying to ride Magik now for 3 years, I'm still not ready to do this on my own. I started reading this post and wow! the information is just great!
This morning I sat on Magik's back with the cordeo and stayed put for a few minutes. I didn't know what to do after. So I guess I'm ready now to move on!
Thank you Josepha for all this info. I'll keep you posted in my journal.
Jocelyne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:16 am 
Site Admin

Thanks Jocelyn,

I developed my 'system' much further now... working on a book and more videos :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:55 pm 

Thanks Josepha for the videos. Those really help (since I'm so visual and don't quite understand all those technical terms). I'll start with the flexions and let Magik do them on his own (treats will help for sure). I'll do them on the ground and when mounted (so I'll have something to do when on his back).
On the ground, I'll also ask him to put his weight on the hinds (I know what to do) and at the same time, ask for the neck bend (ramener) on his own. I'll try to post a video just to make sure I'm not hurting him in any way.
I greatly appreciate your help. This should be a fun experience. I have about 2 months before the snow kicks in so I should be able to do some exercises while mounted.
Thanks Again Josepha.
Joc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:58 pm 

forgot to ask, will the book be a step-by-step system on how to exercise your horse properly? Is the book going to be in English and how about videos, are they going to be available here or on a dvd? Is it going to be like an on-line course? That would be great.
Joc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

horsefever wrote:
forgot to ask, will the book be a step-by-step system on how to exercise your horse properly? Is the book going to be in English and how about videos, are they going to be available here or on a dvd? Is it going to be like an on-line course? That would be great.
Joc

The book will be in dutch at first. I am planning an on line course of 'how to' step by step in English, along the line of the videos I'be shown you.
Problem is, AND style... you never know if a horse wants to perform something or not when the cameras are rolling :) :alien:

Do you have facebook Jocelyn?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:48 pm 

Yes, please, please, I want to register!
The spelling of my name is Jocelyne Boudreau in Quebec Canada. Or maybe it will be easier for me to find you?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Josephas- ... 3792759492

That is my fresh new page :)
After 'like' You can post a video there and I shall be your 'from a far instructor' if you wish :)
Also I'll post there all the things and activities concerning The Natural Riding Art

:)