The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Ingrid - Intro
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:49 am 

Hello everyone! :lol:

Well this forum is truly a breath of fresh air!

I have been struggling for some time now, with the strange (going on stranger :shock:) tone of the NHE forum.

I've been saddened by the latest turn of events, the double standards, the zealots... It is such a briliant concept, but it is being drowned by personal agendas.

I have met some great people on the NHE forum (and I'm really excited to see quite a few here!!), so I would lie if I said I didn't learn from it.

But I think, like most here, I have a need for open-minded, objective, constructive discussions and not worry about whether my honesty is going to get me the boot!

I'm also not much of a gospel girl, I need facts to support arguments, not blind faith.

Miriam, I want to thank you for posting this:

Miriam wrote:
All the exercises in the pictures the ponies knew before coming to NHE - except for the travers Blacky shows on one of them. That one we only learned a couple of weeks ago, and that one is inspired by the way of Bent Branderup to teach the travers, it's not in NHE.
We learned all the other exercises from clicker training - a really punishment-free training system where quite a lot of people already were training horses with the clicker towards collection. The ramener, or standing (and moving) with a flexed poll I for example learned years ago from another clicker trainer.
That doesn't mean that we didn't learn anything from being in the School! Well, the ponies only learned two NHE exercises. I taught Sjors the pirouette with on frontleg stretched out - but stopped with that after 1/3 pirouette again because I felt that it put too much strain and torsion on the standing frontleg. And Alexander teaching his horse the back crunch you see on the dvd's inspired me to train that too, but in another way than Alexander does. But as only a few exercises were written down in the School anyway, most of the School lessons come down on following what your horse inspires you to do, so that's what I did.
Really the only one who learned from NHE, was me. It didn't teach me new exercises or collection, but it showed me that what I was dreaming of - collection at liberty - was really possible. And that I just had to follow the pony's, take off the halter and switch it for a cordeo. The second thing I learned was the importance of play and movement to establish collection. Up untill then our exercises had most been worked at in concentraded, slow gaits or halt, and faster movement took place most of all on the lunge-line. Not suprisingly, the ponies weren't really that inspired to speed up or collect. I therefore also couldn't expect them to run around me like crazy, like the horses of Alexander so beautifully do, but instead decided to move myself too - run together. That got the ponies minds awake again. So NHE most of all showed me what was possible, and that I should just follow my feelings instead of thinking that it was all impossible anyway.

That made everything crystal clear for me! I always believed in taking what you like and leaving the rest behind....All the great masters have something to offer, even if their method as a whole isn't the answer.

So anyway, I'm Ingrid!

I'm 33 and grew up in Belgium, then immigrated to the US after highschool. Hoping to move back to Europe soon, for a slightly more "laid back" lifestyle!:lol: I'm thinking Spain?! 8)

I have a lovely, sometimes challenging (for me!), Arabian named "Sky", which I wouldn't trade for anything. Sometimes, the going gets tough, but we also get those really amazing moments.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Hi Ingrid!

Welcome :mrgreen: !
Well my dream is also to move to Spain, so meet you there 8)
Very nice that you are such a globetrotter!
Yesterday I was questioning if the horse ridig in the US is much different than in The Netherlands after seeing spanish horses ridden the western way over there. Is it true that mostly people ride westernstyle or not?

Kind regards,

Bianca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:56 pm 

Bianca wrote:
Well my dream is also to move to Spain, so meet you there 8)

Hi Bianca, it's a DEAL!! Where in Spain were you thinking?

I found that riding in the US varies quite a bit. The majority is probably western-style, but there is also a lot of english, hunter, dressage. Gaited horses are also popular but more of a specialty.

There seems to me there are 2 styles of people: The ones that just like to ride and the ones that must compete at all cost!

There are a lot of very expensive "show" barns in this part of the country, where one wouldn't consider showing up in the wrong apparel!

But because this is a BIG country, there are also lots of very laid-back barns, that welcome all sorts of riding styles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Haha, I want to live in Tarifa or Bolonia (next to Tarifa) because I now never see my windsurfing boyfriend and want to be somerwhere hot!
Over there there is a lot of rural country and not many tourists and the cows just walk along the coastlines :mrgreen:
I want to breed spanish horses over there (the 1st one is on the way) and teach people to be nice to horses ;)
Last time I was there I wanted to ride along the coastline over there but all horse are hurting like it seemed.. So I have to bring my own horse next time.. well.. if one of my horses already is with us... why don't bring the rest and move :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:37 pm 

You do like it HOT!! Andalucia is really pretty...love the architecture....but too hot for me!

We have chosen Galicia/Asturias as our retreat....very mild weather, lots of rain, very green and lush....and beautiful countryside with untouched beaches on the Atlantic...

I can't wait! :lol: