The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:43 pm 

Hi, I just recently found this forum, and am really excited about it!

I live in Aberdeen, Scotland, and own the lovely Fern, a 9 year old grey American Bashkir Curly mare (although smooth coated, so she looks like a mustang). I'm currently 4 months pregnant so finding riding is getting a bit tough, so decided to take this as an opportunity to focus more on moving on our riding relationship from the ground. We're mostly just happy hackers, but I'm hoping to start endurance with her when I can start riding again. I think AND will be a great help to us.

I'm also studying to be a barefoot trimmer and the more I know about horse behaviour and biomechanics the better I hope I can do with trimming for health and performance.

Any advice and help I can get is greatly appreciated. I'm also interested in saddle fit as Fern is proving to be a challenge that way. I switched over to riding treeless about 10 years ago, and 5 horses later couldn't complain at all about the saddle. Unfortunately Fern has something else to say, so we have entered into a fascinating learning experience trying to find something that suits both of us. Difficult with her wither width of 125 degrees, so treed saddles don't look to be an option for her as there is no way I can afford a custom made one. Plus, I like the concept of treeless and a closer connection while riding, I find treed saddles uncomfortable and unconnected. However, that will be a few months yet before I look into getting a new one as I don't see the point when I can't test it out properly just now. Until recently we were in a leather tree saddle, but there is something about it that just makes me think it's not quite right. I suppose I just feel she could go better. Again I hope AND will help us get there.

Sorry for the essay, looking forward to getting to grips with things.

Amanda

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Amanda, welcome! Nice to have someone else from Scotland here, I am sure Ali will be very happy (she lives close to you and does not have many like-minded people over there). :)

Looking forward to reading more about you and your Fern - I once knew a Bashkir pony (but without curls) and she was an absolute sweetheart, lovely and wild! :)

Best wishes,
Romy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:17 pm 

Hello Amanda , Welcome :green:
It is great to have you here ,I am so glad you are from Scotland :)
You may find the links to other threads sticky interesting
I look forwards to reading more of you and fern :yes:
Best Wishes
Ali :f:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:36 pm 

Thanks! Ali, where abouts in Scotland are you? I always love meeting up with other similar minded horsey people!

Also, I'm probably being dense but how do I upload an image? I've clicked on the Img option in the tool bar but nothing seems to happen?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:41 pm 

I live the next town along from Forres , where abouts in Aberdeen are you ?Or do you live in the city ?
You are welcome to come up and visit or stay with us any time :D
Oh , and we have a sticky for posting pictures here
Best Wishes
Ali :f:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:43 pm 

I'm in Aberdeen itself, but keep Fern just outside near Countesswells. Will definitely try to pop up sometime!

Think I've got this figured out, so will test a pic of the lovely Fern.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:54 pm 

She's a gorgeous horse! I'm sure you'll love the forum. I've always admired endurance riders- they enjoy the horse's natural athletic ability and are still very kind to their horses. (I guess they have to take good care of them and have a good relationship, because they rely so much on them!) Anyway, welcome to the forum! :giveflower:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:26 pm 

Welcome onboard, and Fern looks lovely! Never heard of the breed, but then again, I'm not the strongest in that field.
I'm highly interested in hoof trimming as well, so look forward to possibly exchange ideas/views/techniques! :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:28 am 

Thanks! I'm rather biased, but I do like my girl. Bissen, do you just research on your own for trimming or have you registered with a school? I'm with the ESA (Equine Science Academy) although studies are going very slow; hopefully I'll do better now as I'm in between jobs, and with a baby on the way not looking for a new one!

Oh, and don't worry if you've never heard of curlys; they are a rare breed; I only got into them as a previous partner had severe allergies but wanted to get into horses. They are essentially the poodle of the horse world and hypoallergenic. But after a move overseas (I'm originally from Canada), when I was in a position to get a new horse, I looked first for a curly as they tend to be such a sweet good natured horse!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:27 am 

Sorry for the late reply! I somehow missed it...

I'm a complete freelancer on hoof trimming, and have been a member on a few forums so far, currently only active on one, where we're only a handful of people. Been on so many boards with way too much catfight. One board I had to leave because some insisted that God had everything to do with horses and hoof trimming. I am very non-religious, and they were very much religious. Feuds pushed me away. The current forum I'm on is so very open; if you're interested, I can throw you a link :yes: Some very competent people there!

Anyways, I'm self taught. I got an interest in it as my dad is a vet, and waaaaaay back in the day took a trimming course. His health has been horrible the past 10 or so years, and so he eventually couldn't do it. I was under a bit of his supervision for a while, but then discovered how ignorant he actually is regarding hoof health, so I took matters into my own hands. I'm by no means a pro, and our feet still battle some pathologies, but when I see how some registered farriers leave horses, I realise mine may actually be better off :ieks:

How far are you in your studies? I'm HORRIBLE with biomechanics :blush: I really need to take a course sometime, because I'm afraid that's something you don't learn well, just by reading.