The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:14 pm 

Hello,

as some of you know, I've been here, been gone, got back here and went away again... and now back again (for now ;))

Lots of things changed, lots of things stayed the same.

Biggest change:
I now own my own mystical magical pony, a 10 y.o. andalusian mare, untouched named Alba.
alba and me, me with an almost insane smile on my face that gives away my insane happines
with whom I'll explore more, in every possible way.
I feel blessed that she's with me, and that we both can learn together.
We haven't done 'much' yet, but spending time together and me looking in awe to her (and she looking back a bit confused).
But I only have her for 5 weeks now, she is very much 'a horse and nothing but a horse' and therefor it's been one (joyful) ride of learning horse-stuff, she is differs from the other horses I've worked with in every single way.

I'm following the instructors course with Josepha, which Alba is fantastic for.

And next to that, some things that stayed the same, I 'work' with Indy, a paint-mare of 14 y.o.
She is very much touched, has been ridden from 2.5 y.o. but was 'to hot' for the reining matches, and was sold as a breeding mare. Her owner got her about 2 years ago, and we have been dealing with several medical challenges.
from returning hoofulcers, to back problems (due to trying to avoid putting weight on a certain leg), to sunburn, to being underweight, to muscle problems (stiffness mostly, she has a strange metabolism in which every food she eats, turns into muscle it seems... even when not in full 'training'). which we are working are way out of.
Her owner now has very little time, and mostly goes for rides outside, and lets me do the 'training', but wants to learn so takes the occasional lesson with me.

And then there is Eclaire, a 18 y.o. Hanoverian mare, who is starting to act like she is 8 more then she is 18.
Her owner is a friendly woman who is usually very excited, and very busy, but wants to have quality-time with Eclaire when she's with her. Eclaire has had some troubles, was in a paddock with one other horse, but never felt comfortable in there, and the last horse she was with (had many changes of horse-friend there) was bullying her enormously, so we decided to change stables. She is now in a wonderful group of horses, in which she feels relaxed, but she got very thin, and as it happened it came out she has hugh dental problems, but we have a nice dentist visiting to keep an eye on that, and with proper feeding management we seem to get her to grow even some muscles! I do train her, and help the owner to train her (in a fun way) as well.

That's mostly it... I have no picture of Eclaire (yet)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:38 pm 

Aww... Alba looks just sweet! :love: That's a horse to my taste :yes:
10 years old and untouched sounds like a really interesting challenge - I'm looking forward to your experiences...

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:41 pm 

she is sweet!
Well, is she challenging me or am I challenging her (or myself?)

I heard so many strange reaction to '10 y.o. untouched'

including: "now you'll have to fight over it with an adult horse"

what? I need to fight? :ieks: I'm not fit for a fight with an adult horse... I must find another way, I'm not fighting

and all sorts of stuff, how hard it would be to simply 'overrule' her :)

well, they are right, it is hard to overrule her and it's a horrible idea to fight with an adult horse 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 am 

Hi, I am quite new to this forum, so I didn t follow your diary of Ruphina. I can imagine, that it is a long and sad process, to lose a friend like that.

Nevertheless, your new friend Alba looks just like the kind of horse, I love... :love:

By the way, I love your avatar as well... :D

Greetings, Dani

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:22 pm 

Thank you Dani,
she is very sweet, very sensitive and very expressive.
Precisely the horse I was searching for (except I said 'I SHOULD NOT buy a white horse' not because of color but because of health-issues like melanoma... but okay, a white horse it is).

The avatar is one of my drawings of quite some time ago, I drew a lot until starting and finishing art-school sadly, sometimes I start drawing again, but never 'for the long run'.

Been reading myself into all the information again, and in some diaries, don't have much to add yet