The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hello from Romania
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:08 pm 

Hello everyone,
My name is Ana, I am from Romania, and I have a 1,5 years old gelding. His name is Stelica (in Romanian, a diminutive from the word "star"), and I have him since he was about 3 months of age. Actually he was separated from his mother (feral mare) short after birth and for three months was raised by an old lady with1-2 l of cows milk per day and leftovers. He was in a terrible shape but now he really looks like a horse, although a very small one (around 1.20 m tall) ... more like a pony :D
So I joined this group as he needs some education: he is EXTREMELY spoiled and I am quite worried that he will eat me some day :))
A week ago he had 2 sessions of Parelli, he will have a couple more... it seems to have some effect on him as he's already started to behave and now I plan on starting the Natural Dressage. Maybe I'm subjective, but he seems smart and eager to learn. And everything that he does "bad" is because, in my opinion, he is really bored an he just doesn't want things to be done other than his way...
I feel like I have so many good thing to learn from you and I am so eager! Can't wait to brag here with our achievements!!!

Post subject: Re: Hello from Romania
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Ana!

Oh, a spoiled young feral horse sounds wonderful! I guess there is so much you can learn from him. :)

I am looking forward to reading about you two, and if you have any questions, just ask (or check out the Links to threads).

Best wishes,
Romy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 pm 

Welcome Ana! :f:

Seems like you have taken on a very interesting challenge with that young boy :yes:. I'd like to hear more details about you two. In what way exactly is he spoiled? And what are your plans for him in the near future?

I bought a 3-year-old gelding and had loads of fun with him already, but such a young horse with such a background is still something quite different ;)

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:39 pm 

Well, Houyhnhnm,
For example, I red on this forum about how to be interesting to your horse, and how to make him look at you, how to make him want to interact with you... in this case, I am the "horse" and he is the "owner", as he is the one to look desperately for attention. And when we interacts, sniffing and gentle touching on the head or muzzle, treats etc. are not enough for him. He likes human contact a lot! And he bites everyone, and he pushes you with his chest. And when I try to correct him, he is so annoyed and upset that he tries to dominate me, by pushing me around or, if I retreat, upset, he is playing the upset card too and is ignoring me for quite a while... When I take him out of the box, often he will try to bite the rope or my hand... not to hard, because he doesn't want to hurt, but enough to leave bruises. Other than that, he is a very good horse: he comes most of the times when I call for him (except when he plays with other horses), is ok with the shower, hoof and coat trimming and actually any other medical treatment...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:12 pm 

I really don't have any experience with horses raised by humans. I only heard and read about it. It's hard to say without knowing what happened in the first 3 months of his life, but as I understand it, it will be very important to let other horses educate him. Is he in horse company? Does he have other yearling companions?

Maybe someone else here has experience with human raised horses? It's a very interesting topic I think...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:28 pm 

He is in a group of 7. One 15 years old male Shagya Arabian (his constant companion, as with the others only occasionally in direct contact, all 7 of them, otherwise separated by an electric fence), a 7 y old female Shagya Arabian, a 1,5 y old female Shagya Arabian, a 4 monts old foal, a 1 year old stallion, and a female donkey :D The fantastic 7 :))
And they spend most of their day on the pasture.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:30 pm 

I am definitely curious what he looks like :yes:
Welcome on this forum, it will be interesting to read how you two are doing!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:43 pm 

Ok...I finally managed to upload some photos. So here is his story in pictures:
When we found him, at around 3 months of age:
With a friend, and his foster mom:
Having some nice moments together:
Running like crazy in the back field:
First snow:
A winter walk with my brother:
With his friend and metor (arownd 2 monts ago)
And a closeup :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:28 pm 

Aww he is such a cutey. He sounds like a bit of a challenge, but its great that he likes people so much.
:) I hope you find plenty of ideas on the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:33 pm 

Terrific pictures! :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:17 pm 

Thnx for the beautiful pictures, cant wait to see more of this horse :-)