The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hi from England!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:29 pm 

Well I wish I'd found this website a year ago!

I've got a lovely 15 year old horse who I got last November. I've done a bit of parelli with him but I wanted to try and do something a bit more fun and natural, parelli seemed still a little too much like I was pushing him around and he'd switch off quickly when he realised what we were doing. I'm glad we did it though as it has helped our communication and now he will follow me, move away from pressure, run with me and circle me without a rope.

He's a lovely boy and I hope to learn lots of new things with him over the winter. People keep telling me it will be hard to teach him as he is not young but I think we'll be fine, he loves to learn and play! :D

Here we are...Image

Post subject: Re: Hi from England!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome! :)

Great that you have come here to learn together with us. I am curious to read more about you and your horse. Oh, and I don't think 15 is old at all - my Titum is 16 and still he is such a fast learner if he wants to. And I guess that's what AND is all about: creating a context in which the horse wants to learn. :smile:

Best wishes,
Romy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:08 pm 

Thank you!

He's had a very interesting life before I had him, he's done all sorts, western, side saddle, lots of dressage and showing, all here in the UK. He is naturally quite a collected balanced horse so I want to build on that and help keep him supple and well into his old age. Thats the plan anyway!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:21 am 

Welcome Seoirse!
Love the pic you shared with us, what's this beautiful white horse called?
Hope you'll share your stories with us, I am looking forward to reading them :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:55 pm 

Welcome here!

Great photos!

Cyndi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 am 

He's called Rowan. ;)

This week because of his cough I've not been riding him, so we are just hanging out together. I've been mending the fence in the field and poo picking and he follows me around 'helping' me (mainly by tipping over the wheelbarrow!).

I'm hoping after the vets visit tomorrow we may have more of an idea how to deal with this cough. Once he's had the scope and trach wash I'm going to start hacking him again, just in walk as I am worried about him being too inactive. Just walking doesn't cause him to cough so I think it will be ok and it will mean we can get out and about which we both love to do.

On another note, I've used a few horse forums over the years but this is by far the most international one of all. It's wonderful how so many people from all parts of the world are here together for one thing. Our love of horses! :applause:

xx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:45 pm 

Welcome! :f:

There´s surely no age for a horse where he is too old to learn something new. I´m sure you will both learn a lot of new things together! :yes:

The horse owes us nothing.