The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:13 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hello from B.C, Canada
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:56 am 

Hey there...thought I'd better introduce myself and my borderline pony.

Let's start with me...WELL...my name is Rhiannon I am 16 y/o. I currently live in beautiful British Columbia, Canada. Yes, I am part of the "eh team" and might I state that yes, I am proud of it! I have been riding for many, many years. I have always been fascinated with dressage...but I hated how evil it was and looked (like 50 bits in their mouth)...so here I am...here to learn the natural way of doing dressage. I catch on fast so hopefully this will be a breeze and we will soon be doing natural dressage.

Ok, now time for some info on my horse...

Name: Ice Cappuccino (a.k.a Cappy)
Height: 14.3hh
Colour: Liver Chestnut
Markings: A little white star
Breed: Morgan

Cappy came to me about a year an a half ago. I actually found his ad on the computer and he was listed for free...well...I know why, once I got him...him was like IMPOSSIBLE to control...when trying him out the lady actually said "Don't pull on the reins to stop, he'll just got faster"...WELL...I guess I have to use my seat...which he didn't respond to either...SO YES...he was quite a project for me...and we have come a LONG, LONG way...I wouldn't trade him for anything...he is a sweet, sweet guy... STUBBORN but I have gotten through...he actually knows a few tricks...he gives kisses and hugs...haha, such a suck-up. We still have so much more to fix...another reason I am here...I actually went to a horse show...where there was a VERY RUDE judge, and we entered the pleasure class...WELL...after she went around giving comments, she got to us and said: "He will NEVER be a good pleasure horse"...I almost cried cause I thought I did so good. I have almost forgot to mention his previous home...nice people...but downright horrible to the horses...Cappy is 14.3hh...well they had him jumping 5ft fences...maybe that is just me to think it is not fair, but he doesn't even like jumping from my experiences with him...I think he got most his problems from them. Anyway...moving on...I will post a few pics of him!

So if you have any tips, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Rhiannon & Cappy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:56 am 

Welcome Rhiannon! :f: Cappy looks like a cute fellow!

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, Rhiannon (what a nice name)! :)

Cappy looks cute indeed. I think that stubborn horses are great teachers, and "impossible to control" perhaps just means that these horses make it easier for people to search and find means of communication that go beyond control. :smile:

Anyway, it's great that you are here and I am looking forward to lots of Cappy stories. :)

Best wishes,
Romy

P.S.: What is the eh team you are proud of?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:13 pm 

"eh team" = proud to be canadian :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Admin

He is cute :) it does not matter what others think of Cappie, as long as you are proud of everything Cappie does :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am 

Love the look on Cappy's face.
He looks wise, probably he just needs someone who understands him!
I bet you'll proof that rude judge wrong. :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:17 pm 

Ya...he is quite the cutie...I a pretty sure he will prove that judge completely wrong!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:43 pm 

Hi Riannon.

Big welcome from one Canadian to another, eh? LOL :funny:

It sounds like you've come a long way with your handsome boy. Don't listen to that judge, and just keep enjoying Cappy.

I have a Canadian x Newfoundland Pony mare and I have been getting negative feedback about her from just about every equine "professional" I've come in contact with (very discouraging). There is a dressage coach that I'd been taking lessons from (I am not a dressage rider, but I am using lessons to help me be better balanced), and she is the only one who is positive about my mare's ability and personality (she absolutely loves my mare)...so I'll stick with her! :yes:

Wishing you and Cappy all the best!

Cyndi in Ontario

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:04 pm 

Welcome from another Canadian (unless our stupid Quebec government decides to hold a referendum to separate from Canada :evil: ).

Each horse, imo, has their own little personality and they ALL have qualities. Why people can only see the negative sides (especially judges since they are in contact with all types of horses), just tears my heart.

I also have a stubborn horse (QH) and I have found a way for him to want to do things. He's very jealous so if I ask him to do something and he doesn't want to do it, fine, I'll go see the other horse and hug the other horse, give him treats, etc. Magik will automatically come back and when I repeat asking what I want, he'll do it then!! Such a sweetie!!

Hope you enjoy yourself here and I'm sure you will learn alot of new things!!

Jocelyne

P.S. what does the EH stand for??