The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:22 pm 

Hello,

I live in New York City and also rent a studio at a farm in Warwick, NY where I keep a horse. I found this forum when googling around, so far it is the most common ground I have come across online. I am glad to have the inspiration and a place to share ideas, learn, and communicate about horse behavior and relating with them to keep them safe in a world that humans think they control for now.
I am changing my perception frequently with new information, it has been fascinating as well as humbling. I started with the more commercial "methods" when a horse came into my life 7 years ago, and now am trying some of the communication ideas I have found on The Art of Natural Dressage. I recently played chasing the tiger and it seemed to be interesting to Noa, will be adding to it as I learn more games.
Here is a clip from May when he had come off a long period of confinement, rare for him, he usually lives in a domestic (artificial) herd. I had never done this (I had played with him plenty over the years, but not the asking for a rear part), just wanted to see if I could shape the behavior that was happening, he had no outlet with other horses, so I was it. He had been expressing frustration by running around his paddock if something set him off (neighbor's white turkeys, visiting mare riding nearby), really pounding around heavily on a healing leg, so I was hoping to slow him down and release some of the tension.
I realize he is showing some conflicted behavior with me, hoping that lessens as I get better at communication. Now he is more calm, back in with 19 horses he has known for most of his life, some other clips of them on the youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twt_l-ci1KA

Cheers,

Lauren

Last edited by Lurleenp on Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Lauren! :)

Noa looks like he is so much fun to be with. I can imagine that he is providing lots of helpful input for your training, and I am very much looking forward to reading more about what you two are doing together.

Best wishes,
Romy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:07 am 

Welcome Lauren! :f:

I've already browsed through your YouTube channel - the place where you keep Noa looks so nice! And you're doing lovely things together. It will be interesting to read more about your exploits here in the future :yes:

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:22 pm 

Hi Lauren!
What a beautiful horse Kainoa is! Sounds like that name has an interesting meaning as well :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:51 pm 

Hi Lauren,

Welcome here :) Noa is beautiful, and he looks like he is nice and energetic, yet he stopped and calmed down so nicely for you. Wonderful! I look forward to reading more about the two of you!

Cyndi