The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:07 am 

Hi Everyone,

I've spent the last several evenings devouring posts and figured it was time I stopped lurking and registered my login. I'm a 22-year-old lifetime rider. I've been interested in natural horsemanship for the last decade or so and have relied on the principles of Parelli and a few other natural horsepeople in an effort to achieve a greater connection with my mounts. These approaches have helped to make horses calmer and more obedient, but I've always lost interest when the horses I worked with became bored. At that point, I almost always remove the horse's halter and experiment by playing games at liberty. Judging by my own findings, something in the 'traditional' natural horsemanship approach is to be found lacking.

I always rode with eventing trainers, but started to get seriously interested in classical dressage when I studied as a working student with Michelle LaBarre (http://www.labarredressage.com) in Northeastern Pennsylvania in 2009. It was supposed to be a 3-month stay, but I was learning so much and so excited about the improvements in my riding and horsemanship that I skipped a semester of college to stay on.

The horse I ride here at home is a strong-willed 15-or-so-year-old matriarchal a Trakhener named Phresca. I'm a competent rider, and have been riding Phresca since early 2008. But something about the combination of Phresca's biomechanics, my riding style and her attitude towards my aids keep me from being able to connect her front and rear ends except in rare instances.

She's built downhill with powerful hindquarters, large shoulders and a long back - not ideal for collection. And yet I know that she's capable of it. A year and a half ago, I had one lesson on her with my trainer, and Michelle was able to give me enough insight to help me straighten her out and work through her back. But most of the time, when I ride her on my own, I find myself overwhelmed with enormous pressure in the reins and nothing but leaning and rushing if I try to supple her mouth while trying to maintain greater pressure between her front and back. She's the only horse I have this problem with, and she's the only one I want to ride. Currently, she's grumpy and resentful because I've been trying too hard to achieve what I'm not capable of asking for. Hence my arrival to this site.

I really am excited to be starting an approach of positive reinforcement with Phresca. I'm a philosophy major in school and fairly scrutinizing, but I couldn't be more pleased with the melded combination of natural horsemanship and classical dressage I've found on this site. With all the talk about "grassroots organizations" in American politics, I'm extremely pleased to have found this overwhelmingly awesome example of a grassroots, non-commercial online learning community.

In the summer of 2009, Phresca had a foal named Teddy. Their owner plans to start him under saddle this winter, but I'm hoping to work with both Phresca and Teddy until further notice. It will be wonderful to compare their development, as well as to have two horses to practice on. I'm looking forward to Phresca becoming a willing, active participant in her training and to Teddy learning how to be a proper big boy right from the start. The videos posted by Miriam & Romy are especially inspiring.

It's a pleasure to be here and I feel very lucky to have this forum to help me as I stumble along in (hopefully) facilitating these horses' natural skill and aptitude.

My best,
Adair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:41 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, nice to have you here! :)

Adair wrote:
I'm looking forward to Phresca becoming a willing, active participant in her training and to Teddy learning how to be a proper big boy right from the start.

I think the easiest way to help Teddy with that is to be a proper human right from the start. :smile: Looking forward to reading about your interaction! :)

Oh, and I am very sorry if you were having trouble with your first post and got a notification that it needed to be approved by a moderator - we have changed something in the forum settings a few days ago to prevent spam, but it seems like this is causing extra effort to our new members. I have changed it back now, so you should be able to post without further problems.

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:31 am 

Welcome Adair! :f: So nice you have found your way here. I'm sure you will find a lot of like minded people here from all over the world.

I liked your introduction very much and I'm looking forward to hear more of your experiences.

P.S. if you want to share pictures of your horses - we all love pictures! :yes: :D

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Welcome :) !

For the horse in question, I would suggest to study Antoine De Pluvinel. (Leave her head and mouth in peace, stir the shoulders with the reins, not the head and work on laterals only, constantly, and transition up only from lateral work. Do not ride circles when she is on the shoulders or keep them lateral).

In any case, my advice would be to abandon what does not work and only frustrates you and your horse and search for new ways, often the opposite of what does not work.

Concerning collection, does she collect on her own and in ground work?

Best regards,

Josepha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:47 pm 

Welcome here! :smile:

My mare has a long back too, but although she may never have "perfect" collection, she has beautiful long strides :D

Cyndi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:01 pm 
Site Admin

I have given up searching for perfection, I just search for healthy and fun :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:46 am 

Very true, Josepha! :clap: :clap:

I just want my horse and I to enjoy our time together :kiss:

Cyndi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:44 am 

So glad you have found your way here, and so glad you've decided to come out of lurkdom. And we DO love photos here!

Best of luck on your altered path with your Phresca and Teddy!

Welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:44 pm 

Welcome! I enjoyed reading too!

Quote:
With all the talk about "grassroots organizations" in American politics, I'm extremely pleased to have found this overwhelmingly awesome example of a grassroots, non-commercial online learning community.

Well said :yes:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:29 am 

Thank you for the welcomes. I wouldn't say that Phresca collects much during free movement, but she does carry her shoulders most of the time. Her movements are usually pretty flowy. I have started a little diary about our training. Work I've done with her baby Teddy will go under there too.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3913