The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hi everybody!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:41 pm 

My story:
I'm a dual high school senior/college student with a passion for horses. I've always had an interest in dressage but wasn't so much a fan of the traditional methods. This year I started taking riding lessons with a woman who teaches the French classical equitation style from the Cadre Noir, and it's really got me back thinking more about how I ride and train. Which led me to this lovely forum!

I've spent my past 3 and a half years working with rescued horses (mostly PMU foals) on a farm about 30 minutes from my home. I've mostly done that farm's kind of spin off of Natural Horsemanship exercises trying to build a relationship with and train the young rescue horses there. I'm really interested in learning AND because it seems perfect for rehabilitating/training rescue horses. This winter, I've been able to care lease on of my favorite horses and board him closer to home. Enter Alexie: 16 year old fleabitten grey Arabian Warmblood gelding, with enough character for the both of us combined. "Lex" as I call him isn't a rescue, but the farm owner's old riding horse, who was a little too high energy for her taste. I've been told I have a really calm energy, and apparently Lex thinks so too, because he's never been as spooky for me as he was for his owner. He's a super personable guy with that prideful Arab attitude, and he never fails to make me laugh. Lexi was sent off for about four rounds of traditional style dressage training, no idea what level he would be at, but apparently he can canter pirouette if you ask him. I wouldn't know, I've never been that level of rider! Anyways, I'm hoping to form a better connection with Alexie and and ride bitless and eventually bridleless. Knowing Lexi, I think he would really love the positive aspect of this kind of training, and I can't wait to progress with him this winter. :)

Here are some photos of Alexie and I, this was from a photoshoot over the summer, I'm now beginning to switch him over to bitless. He's a pretty sensitive horse so I think it will be great for him.

Last edited by Kala on Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Hi everybody!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Kala and Lex! :)

Really nice to have you here! I hope to read more about your journey with him, and please share with us what you are learning in your lessons. I could really use some dressage inspiration again. :f:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:20 am 

Welcome Kala!

I love your Lexi (and your description of his character) and will enjoy reading more about the two of you very much! Glad you could join us here!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:48 am 
Site Admin

you are both stunning! Lexi reminds me of a horse from my youth who was called Nadir... love thinking of him again... welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:21 am 

Welcome Kala :f:! Hope you feel at home here...

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:30 am 

Thank you everyone! I am glad to be here! I'll be sure to update you on how our journey is going, I'm planning to start a training diary on here this weekend. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:39 pm 

what a beautiful horse...

welcome!

My horse is a beautiful living sculpture