The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hello everbody!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:17 am 

Well, hello everybody.

I normally don’t introduce myself in forums. I normally don’t write a lot in forums, too, I prefer reading. But I really like your forum as you all seem to be very friendly, calm, open-minded people, so that I don’t have to be afraid to write something. Here we are, me, and my grey horse (or donkey, as somebody called him when he was younger and much more grey than now…)

I found this forum by chance. It’s funny, because not long ago, I decided to quit “working” with my horse as I did it before, and I started to work the AND way, before I knew that AND existed. I was browsing around in the internet, looking for something that might help me on that way, but I didn’t find anything that seemed to fit. Nevzorov Haute Ecole, very nice, but I already knew it’s far too dogmatic for me when I first visited their website (and, by the way, I thought and think, that I will never be able to do these things with my horse…). Parelli – I didn’t hear too much good things about it, a lot of “making” the horse do what you want instead of asking, hmm… no. Rai-riding seemed to be interesting, but I don’t like the idea that you don’t help your horse to become stronger before you ride…well, I’m afraid I’ll never be able to ride my horse in collection, but I think the minimum is to try it, isn’t it?

So, I started my own way (very clumsily, but happy) and then I found you.

Too funny, three days before I found the forum, I “invented” kind of the “chase-the-tiger-game” without knowing it… and, man, it helped so much!
My intention in this was to show my horse that he does not have to be afraid of plastic bags. What happened was, that he now isn’t afraid about anything I shake, rattle or squeeze around him. As if he understood this one example with the plastic bag and now knows, that nothing I bring around him, is dangerous. Well, outside, when we go for a walk, it’s still much more difficult, but there’s an improvement already.

From then, he started to come to the gate of his paddock when I call him, sometimes even galloping, and sometimes he whinnies. He always stayed close to me. It was very hard to lunge him for some days, because he didn’t want to go away from me, and I didn’t force him… but now he understood, and both works – walking/trotting with me, and walking around me (free and with lunge-line). I have so much more fun now, and I think him, too.

All this started, when I got him, so many years ago… in the beginning I worked inspired by a book by Hempfling… the problem was, that there were only explanations for groundwork, and I did not know how to do this on horseback, especially as I’m quite an unexperienced rider. So I called someone to start my horse the traditional way and nearly forgot about this alternative Hempfling stuff… but I was never happy with this, and it became worse and worse, as I tried harder and harder. Once my horse bucked me off in dressage training just after I mounted, my trainer was yelling at him (thinks bad of my horse anyway). I mounted again, and he didn’t do anything, walked around the arena… but then, when I wanted to trot, I noticed he was lame… oh my god… I felt so bad. First then I understood, why he had bucked. This was the moment, when I decided to listen to him better in the future. So, "back to the roots" now. I started to remember, why I wanted to own a horse once: to have a companion. Not for sports, not for riding. That was never important to me. I just forgot this, because everybody told me I have to ride, that's what a horse is for. If you can't ride... well... Salami.

Now everybody is making fun of me, because I don’t ride anymore, or only for a few minutes, few steps in the arena (and it hardly works – I think my horse doesn’t understand what I want, yet… but it’s nice to only sit on him, even if it’s him who decides where to go… *giggle*). If somebody knew I write in this forum, they’d bet I’ll be dead in a few weeks because my bad, ill-bred horse is going to kill me as I don’t dominate him all the time anymore.

But know what? I don’t care :)

(And sorry for my English, I know I have to improve that, but I really try to write as correct as I can)

Grey

Post subject: Re: Hello everbody!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Welcome!! :)

Very nice to have you here and I hope you will enjoy the forum and also let us learn from your experiences. Looking forward to reading more about you and your horse! :f:

Oh, and don't worry about your English, it's great.

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:54 am 

Hi Grey! Welcome here! I've joined the forum just a few days ago too. Don't worry, your english is great! (Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?)

Have you pictures of your horse?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:02 pm 

Thank you for your nice answers. I think I'll feel comfortable in this forum, you're all so friendly :smile:

Madrileno, so we're both new, it's good to know I'm not the only "beginner" here. I've got some photos of my horse, but I don't know how to post them (and, in fact, I'm a little afraid that somebody I know will recognize me or my horse...) So maybe it's possible to post a picture so that only members can watch it? Or I could send it per email.

Oh, and I'm from Germany.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Grey wrote:
So maybe it's possible to post a picture so that only members can watch it?

Yes, the diary section is for members only - so maybe just start a diary. :smile:

Oh, and you are from Germany! Next weekend (13-15 August) we will have an AND meeting in Belgium (Dutch/German border), maybe this is close to where you live and you want to come, too? It's always so nice to meet some of the others in person, be able to talk about horses with people who understand what you are actually talking about and also such an inspiration to see others train and play with the horses.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:23 pm 

Hey Romy,

thank you so much for your invitation! :blush: Especially as I'm in Western Germany right now, so it wouln't be too far away. I would love to come. But I can't afford it right now. :sad: (poor german student...).

I hope you're going to have another meeting so close to my place someday. Next time, hopefully, I'll join you.

And thanks for the hint, I'll start a diary soon (I already did do this for myself, but in german language, a week or so ago).

Grey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:59 pm 

Hello, Grey, and welcome here. Your English is so much better than my German :funny: I do not write, read or speak German at all. I think it's great that you are willing to use English at all.

I'm very happy to get to know another person with an undisciplined horse ;) I understand about you wanting to stay under the radar - I had a lot of comments about the clown and her circus horse :sad: and I still do get them sometimes. I decided that my horse's opinion was so much more important than all those ignorant people who wanted me to hit, kick and pull him.

:f:

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:13 pm 

Hi! I'm a bit new here myself. I really liked the fact that everyone was nice here - I started researching online and found so many horse communities where people were just so nasty. :ieks:

Peh... no worries here though. :smile: Good luck with your journey with your horse. And yeah, I like the fact that the "Diary" area is private so it doesn't come up on search engines and non members can't view anything posted there (pics videos etc).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:24 pm 

Hello Grey,

Welcome!

There is flemish saying (I am flemish living in Italy):
what belongs together, comes together...

The fact that you found this forum, proves this again!
You are on the right forum now, we all love to hear about your undisciplined horse :funny:
:love:

AnneMarie

------
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make'em drink...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:48 pm 

I don't think he is an indisciplined horse. I think he's really nice. I had a small girl riding him bitless last summer (I have some photos, but I have to find someone who has got a scanner). He was so friendly to her! He is nice with the vet and the farrier, is easy to lead, doesn't bite or kick. The only problems we had were when riding, but that's totally my fault because I'm a really bad rider.

But there are some people around me who think he's bad and undisciplined and won't stop to say nasty things about him. I remember one day last year - the owner of a new horse in our stable watched me brushing my grey "monster", came towards us and said: "Hey, he seems to be so friendly - and xy said he was an arsehole!?" :ieks:

I don't know why people say these things. He's really not that undisciplined. But these people already shout at their horses, kick and hit them when they only do one step whithout their permission. But they win competitions, so they have to be right... right? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:39 pm 

Quote:
I don't think he is an indisciplined horse. I think he's really nice.

:D That's exactly the point I was making. Of course he's really nice, and of course he has self-discipline.

My boy is one of the gentlest, sweetest horses I've ever dealt with but, because I allow him to say "No, I won't" to things he is unsure of, certain other people keep labeling him as undisciplined when what they really mean is that he is unpunished :D

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:48 am 

Gray (hope you feel so at home here, eventually, that you will tell us your real name),

Welcome! Of all the places I take part or lurk on the internet, this is by far the only place that I have found where I truly feel at home. Safe to discuss my own journey that will differ from the next person's journey, from the next, and so on. We are all so very different.

And yet...we all have so much in common here! Unruly, dangerous horses! LOL. Yes, after a brief discussion with a stranger (we had met once, briefly before) regarding the fact that I do a lot of clicker training, she told me very seriously (she had never even seen my horse) that if I did not show him who was boss by the time he was five, that I would have a very dangerous horse on my hands. :razz:

Yep. Well....not everyone thinks the same way about horses. So consider yourself one of the family (we need a little singing, dancing smiley) because you have not said one thing that is in the least bit odd..... :D

Welcome home! :yes:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:10 am 

Your written English is extra ordinarily clear and understandable. You must have had good teachers and or studied very diligently.

I had some odd, but for me familiar, emotions reading your story with Grey, your horse.

We are so different you and I in our histories, yet right now on the very same path. I felt sadness reading that. Sadness for me, for all the horse's I've trained and ridden over a 20 year period. But then happy for you and your horse that you found, so early, this path and you chose it yourself and are looking for and finding ways to go down that path.

I had to leave horses for around 40 years when I first found that path myself, with the help of my kind and lovable good humored Quarter Horse stallion. There just was nowhere to go but out of the business - I thought forever.

About three years ago I came back, and some of the magic I had known and had to abandon 40 years ago has begun again. A wonderful Andalusian mare just fell into my life, then more wonder, she was in foal though it was not known at first. Now I have two beautiful ladies in my life to teach me how to do what you are doing.

You have, I hope, so much less of the old way of doing things. I expect you will, as so many here in AND, become my leaders. I'll always be behind what you can do, I think, but it still is a trail worth my following, and with my two, and the lessons I teach others, I hope to make up in some small way to the horses I once "trained," with my dominance, kind as it was, still cruel to the relationship of the horse and what he could have given me had I been where you are now.

I am so happy for you. Do it. Do what your heart is telling you.

Here is a place, as you are quickly learning, to do that - follow your heart and your horses lead.

Welcome, Grey.

Donald - Altea and Bonalaria (Bonnie)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:47 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Grey! :)

Gosh I can not get over the fact that you can not even show pictures here afraid that your stable mates mind find out :ieks:
Can't you find an other place without that sort of secret police? Gosh... :pet:

Anyway, very nice to meet you and I hope you and your 'dangerous' Grey will enjoy yourselves in our green AND lounge with all us other bad riders and dangerous horses :green: :funny:

Warm regards,

Josepha
ps: I am near Achen, like 25 minutes or so :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:27 pm 

Maybe I'm a little paranoid about pictures of me in the internet ;)

I stay at this stable, because it's a good playce for my horse. And there is one person (and her horses) I really like. I try not to meet the persons I don't like - it's no big deal. Nobody is ever unfriendly to me, it's just that I know they don't think very good about me, but I think I shouldn't care about that. I can live with that as long my horse is happy there (and he is).

Again, thanks to everybody for your nice words. I think I have nothing more to add here. I'll start to write my diary now :-)