The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: My new guide, Solo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:32 am 

After a long, long time a decided to come back here again.
A lot happened, really a lot. The last time I posted on this forum was in 2007.
Although, my diary. I stopped posting because I've lost my horse back then. I had to put him asleep. After that happened I decided I want to do and see more in my life, I went to Spain, to work with the most beautifull horses their, the Pura Raza Espagnola.

When I came back I started to ride horses for a lady who travels a lot, also PRE's. And although I like and love to do that, and with having a lot of liberty, I still couldn't chase the dream I had in the past with Midas. Training a horse without pressure, without forcing him to do things, let the horse do thing because he want to and he like to do those things.

With the lady we had different horses to train and sell. At one day we went to go to see 2 horses. a mare and a gelding, one of them should be trained by us, so we had to choose. Hearing the story's I'd already made my decision, it would be the mare. The gelding seemed to be very frightened, had been to a Monty Roberts stable and still they where unable to handle him. Although I'd always liked that kind of horses, I didn't want to do it anymore, I couldn't stand all the people who had their opinions about me everytime. I would pick the mare.

Believe it was faith, believe it was a coincidence, but the mare seemed to be sold already. So it was the gelding I was going to train, Solo.

When I started to train him, I got a little worried. I knew it was going to be a long way, this horse would need a lot of time to confident with humans again. During the training they keep asking me how he was doing, if he made steps, but all went very slow.
Being sick made me ask if my colleague and the lady would have a little time to work with him. With both it went wrong, he pulled the rope they where holding, made himself escape, and make them wait for hours untill they could catch him again. That was the point where the lady called te owner of the horse, to say it was done, this horse needed to be put away right now, he was a shame for the owners name as a breeder, he would brake his reputation, so their where 2 options left. The first one was to put him at slaughter, the second one, was selling the horse to me.

And that is the story of me and my new teacher. Which is a 5 years old PRE horse.

Post subject: Re: My new guide, Solo
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome back, Keet! :)

So nice to read from you again. I am very sorry that you had to let Midas go, but so great that you found Solo! He seems like an incredible teacher.

I am very much looking forward to reading about you two. :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:36 am 

I read your intro yesterday..this very same...and I saw you in my dreams this night.
Hmm, so very wierd. Something touched me I guess.
Welcome. Back. : )

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:35 pm 

I'm sorry about your horsey :sad: But I'm so glad you got this one :) I love his expression in that bottom photo...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:12 pm 

Thanks for your answers :)
Yesterday I came, after a long while, on this forum again, started to read a little bit. And while reading I realized why I ever signed up here, at the same time wondering why I ever stopped reading... There's so much to learn. There are so many interesting people here!
And though I learn a lot at the NH-forum too, it doesn't always feel right, I'm different from them in some things, but I will be different in some things here too. I'm just always walking the way between the 2 ways I like :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:17 pm 

Keet wrote:
Thanks for your answers :)
Yesterday I came, after a long while, on this forum again, started to read a little bit. And while reading I realized why I ever signed up here, at the same time wondering why I ever stopped reading... There's so much to learn. There are so many interesting people here!
And though I learn a lot at the NH-forum too, it doesn't always feel right, I'm different from them in some things, but I will be different in some things here too. I'm just always walking the way between the 2 ways I like :)

What I really liked about this place is the huge amount of different horse people. No one has the exact some method or philosophy, and everyone is ok with experimenting! It makes learning so much more rounded and gives me perspective. It was when I read about how everyone is supposed to respect eachother and help teach and encourage rather than judge that I knew this was the place for me. So far I haven't found a single other horse community that open... :) I'm still reading threads everyday to learn and understand new things. Sometimes my brain hurts. :funny:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:41 am 

Welcome back, and welcome to the very handsome Solo.

Perhaps soon you can change his name to Duet ;)

I am so sad to hear of the loss of Midas. :sad:

But at the same time, I am glad you are back here. I will be very interested to read about your journey with this boy. :f: :f: :f: :f: