The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Horsefever...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:31 pm 

Hi everybody
My name is Carolien, I live in the Netherlands. This is my second introduction, the first one didn't work.
I have 3 horses. A pony named Isola Arizona, a mare named Kimaeda, she is pregnant. Due to a blessure I can't ride her anymore so I take her out for a walk in the forest every now and then. And then there's Remy. I bought him last summer and we've a lot to learn together. He is very dominant and I am not so we've had our troubles but now I think he likes me as much as I like him and we trust each other. He's willing to work with and for me but only for me. I started riding at the age of 42 so I'll never catch up with most of you who started riding before you even learned to walk. But I enjoy it very much. Reading about AND was finding a lot of answers. I thought I was right all along but now I know for sure I'm on the right track. It's such a friendly way to work with horses. I try to stay relaxed at all times by thinking: tomorrow is another day, and so far so good.
Our 3 children also used to ride but they're all puberty so need I say more....
Hope to learn a lot here.

Post subject: Re: Horsefever...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:33 pm 

Welcome Carolien!

Although some of us rode very early in life, many of us found a new way, much later in life! I envy the younger people on the forum who have found such wisdom while still so young. But there is a lot of joy found regardless of the time of life we find what feels right and comfortable in our hearts.

Glad you could join us here! I'm looking forward to hearing about your horses! :f:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Carolien! :)

Very nice that you have joined us. To me it always seemed that starting with horses later in life also has its benefits: you have a bigger chance to actually learn the things you want to learn, and to stop doing things when you don't like them.

I was reminded of that this spring when a young girl who visited me and the horses said she was so happy to be with us, because here she did not have to hit the horses. At the barn where she was riding, you simply had to do what the instructors said and if she wanted to be with horses at all, that was her only choice - or at least that's how she perceived it.

Looking forward to reading more about you and your horses. :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:24 am 

Hello and welcome, Carolien.

I did ride in my youth, but then I stopped for 25 years because children are expensive so there was no money for horses. ;) I started again about 3 years ago ...

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:58 pm 

HI and welcome, Carolien!

Like many here, I started with horses as a child and then returned as an adult.

I believe with all my heart that people who have spent a lifetime with horses can teach others based on their experience.

But I also believe with all of my heart that people who are new to horses can teach others based on their fresh ideas and questions and different ways of approaching things.

Looking forward to hearing more about Isola Arizona, Kimaeda, and Remy as well as you!
;)

Best,
Leigh in California, USA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:37 am 

Hello and welcome, Carolien

My goodness, I missed your arrival. Sorry. I want to hear about your horses and you and what you are doing together. I'm looking forward to it.

Best wishes, Donald, Altea and Bonnie