The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:13 pm 

Hi, I'm Kali (kaylee). My fiance and I help rescue horses and have a program with kids and ponies in central Oregon. Here is one of our latest videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE8_bUCw-K4

We're starting an equine experiential learning program after realizing that people who have zero horse experience actually have a really wonderful way of being with horses, and can teach us a lot. So far, everyone loves playing with the horses using AND and CT. We rehabbed 120 rescue horses with CT April '08-'09 using 30 volunteers who had zero previous horse experience. That was a really cool experience.

I grew up riding hunter/jumpers and dressage. Thankfully, I've gotten further and further away from that scene. I have a BLM Mustang who I brought along through all her ground basic ground work without ever putting a rope on her. Then I decided to go to using a cordeo or halter occasionally, because it was clearer to her, and it seemed she was happier when she could understand more quickly. That's something I'm learning to balance - the simplest method for the horse to understand, with the most "natural".

I'm in the process of compiling together several books, including one about AND and CT, which is nearing completion. My goal with the books is mostly to make methods other than negative-reinforcement based training more accessible. If anyone has stories they would like to share, let me know!!

Kali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kali, welcome!! :)

I watched your tiger video, it´s lovely and Zoey is doing absolutely great!

Quote:
I'm in the process of compiling together several books, including one about AND and CT, which is nearing completion. My goal with the books is mostly to make methods other than negative-reinforcement based training more accessible. If anyone has stories they would like to share, let me know!!

What kind of stories are you looking for? Maybe you will find something of interest in the diaries here? Just ask the authors if you can use it before you publish it elsewhere, but of course that goes without saying.

Nice to have you here and I am looking forward to reading more about you and your work with horses and people... and seeing more videos of course. :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:21 am 

Hi Kali,
great to see another person from the Northwest. I'm in Eastern Washington. I'm very interested in learning more about what you do. I've done dog rescue using volunteers with very little knowledge and teaching them positive reinforcement in the past. It helped that they did not have to unlearn a lot first. It's so great that more and more people are doing this with horses. Looking forward to seeing more pics and video. As Romy said, I think you'll find lots of stories in the diary section and hopefully lots of other good ideas everywhere. I'm trying to learn about AND and teaching my 12-year-old daughter at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Wow that is excellent! and your are writing a book about AND?! How cool is that!

Welcome!!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:12 am 

Hi Brigit, Romy, and Josepha,
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm extremely excited about the book about AND and CT. It has already been a ton of fun and I plan to donate copies to horse rescues around so I think it will help some people, too. I love storytelling and so it was natural for me to start interviewing people and compiling my research :)

I heard something about an AND encyclopedia on the forum. Where would I look for that?

Thanks
Kali

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:55 am 
Site Admin

kvanagas wrote:
I heard something about an AND encyclopedia on the forum. Where would I look for that?

In the research material section: AND encylopedia. Not sure how useful it will be for you, though... except for some things like 'Chase the Tiger' those terms are not AND specific and the definition will (hopefully ;)) not differ from what you can find elsewhere.

Oh, and we started it back then but never really continued, so if you want to write some new definitions, feel free to do so. :smile:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:55 pm 

Kali, hello! That is such a nice video with Wally!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:43 am 

Hello Kali,

Welcome!
What a wonderful idea to write a book about AND and CT. I really think you can help a lot of people and animals with it. How exciting. I also love to write. And since I want to improve my English skills I joined this forum to combine those things.

Sandra