The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hello From Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:15 am 

Hi Everyone!

I have always had some involvement with natural horsemanship, and have also worked as an operant conditioner with dogs (and dabbled with horses as well). I currently have some clickers on their way in the mail, and came across this site which is very interesting!

My name is Candace, I'm 21, my husband and I raise dorper sheep (which we often take out into our community and educate the public with) as well as some of our other farm animals :-) We currently have 7 equine friends.

Rob-Roy 5 year old 16.3hh Belgian Gelding *please ignore tack, this is the day I tried them out*
Dante 9 year old 17.1hh Percheron Gelding *Again, please ignore the tack AND HIS RIBS! In this condition I could not leave him! In a month we have got about 50lbs on him, I will update his photos*
Cardi 8 year old 15.2hh Welsh Cob, Daquiri 16.1hh TB Mare, Star 16.3hh Warmblood mare
The heifers
one of our crossbred sheep
Another Star Photo eating her brunch with the cows
The two mini donkeys Sage and Ginger (Sage gained celebrity status in our hometown by riding on a float in the santa clause parade)
Baby Cie 22 year old 13.2hh POA mare and my 2 year old nieces mini Benji
Some of my naughty chickens, this is a trio of cochins
Baby chicks I hatched this fall

I am very excited to get started with my horses on their new projects, the two draft horses have been with us for about a month now, both are very well natured and seem to be quick learners.

Sorry for all the photos!
Have a great day,

Candace

Post subject: Re: Hello From Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:26 am 

Hi Candace,
welcome! Great to see all the photos of your animals. We have a similarly large group of a horse, dogs, cats, rabbits and ducks. I hope you'll enjoy this site. There is so much cool information, I found it overwhelming at first. Just look around at the topics that interest you. You can start a diary if you like or read about what other people have done with their horses. I've done a little clicker training with the ducks and the bunnies in addition to dogs and the horse. I bet the chickens and sheep would be fun, too. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:06 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, Candace!! :)

No need to be sorry about all the pictures, it´s great to see all your animals! All of thjem are nice, but I especially liked the ponies and donkeys.

I hope you will enjoy the forum. :)

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:18 pm 

Hi Candace, glad to have you here with all your animals. What a circus that must be. We LOVE pictures so no need to apologize for so many. More more.

Donald
Nettlepatch Farm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Candace,

They all must be in good care now :)

Warm regards,

Josepha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:38 pm 

Thank you all for your kind words :D

It is a circus (and/or zoo) here some days!! Not sure what I would do with myself without all of them to look after!

This morning I went out to the barn to find all of my chicks out running around the barn, pleased as anything with themselves :roll: Animals will be animals, if I didn't have pneumonia I would have attempted to catch them and put them back in their room.

The place where I bought the two big boys from (Rob and Dante) did not have any grain on property and tied the horses up in tie stalls without access to water on a regular basis and they really rationed their hay out. Rob had only lived there for 2 months at the time I purchased him, his owner came when I bought him and said "wow he's lost about 100lbs" and Dante had lived their for about 10 months. I was told that Dante got two flakes of hay at night, and 2 in the morning and none of their horses got any grain. At our house they have unlimited access to hay, they get about 5 pounds of sweet feed and 10 pounds of beet pulp a day.

Between 40-48 you can see one of our sheep Diamond and after you can see Sage the Donkey :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMhjtYo76fo

Have a great day!

Candace