The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hi!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:41 pm 

Hi!!

I've just wrote something of an introduction in my diary post but I'll repeat it here since I have found this place... albeit a bit late!

Now this may surprise you, but I have only worked with horses for 12 months... yes 12 months! Six of which were very intense for me and the other six were very relaxed and mainly spent researching, learning from others and simply watching horses.

Last year I mounted a horse for the first time in my 20 years of life, I was in the middle of France on a 1800 mile trek for charity from the Camargue in Southern France to London, England! No lessons, no experience just told to hold on and the horse would follow the others... and it did! More information about the project can be found at the White Horses Project website. On that trek across France I met some worlderful and not so wonderful horse trainers, learning an awful lot about a subject which I had no interest in just weeks earlier. Within six weeks me and a friend were appointed official trainers of the ten horses (even though we had a "qualified thearapist" onboard) and were tasked with preparing them to work with severly disabled kids as the horses would be donated to disabled riding centers in France and England. (We haven't recieved a single complaint about the horses!)

Having no formal training with horses or previous experience, the two of us could not understand why horses were treated so badly in so called "training sessions." This lead us to asking about natural/gentle techniques and so our learning began! My friend went off to learn from Monty Roberts and is currently having a TV documentary developed about his story... average kid, no experience with horses, volunteered for a charity trek, succeeded and went away to train as a horse whisperer!

The horse I have choosen to work with is a Zafran mare (Zeta of Wilki) who is seven years of age on June 27th 2009! (So not quite there yet!) She was backed and desensitized by my friend I spoke of earlier. No other training has been done (we produce happy horses, not regular income!) so I have a blank canvas to work with.

My diary will chart my progress and I may introduce a second member of the herd in the near future ;)

Post subject: Re: Hi!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andrew!

Welcome here and great you can train just with a fresh view!! Makes things a lot easier I guess!

Kind regards

Bianca

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:55 pm 

Hi Andrew,
Welcome here. Where are you from? Or should I say currently living and working?
Please post some pics of your very clever horse!!!!
It's great to have you here.
Best
Annette

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:08 pm 

Andrew,
I have just had a look at the link. How fantastic that you were chosen for this adventure. It must have been life changing. Brilliant, and hopefully you can put into practice what you learnt along the way and help others too. What a great opportunity and one I wish I could have had at your age!
I worked for a while at the RDA in Leatherhead, in Surrey as a volunteer, but that was many moons ago and I hate to say it, but before you were born. :funny:
Even then I wondered just where their horses came from, they really are very special horses and goes to show what gentle creatures they really are. They know when they can have a little spirit and when they need to remain absolutely calm.
Well done you for helping these horses and humans along their path. :applause:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:20 pm 

Hello there! :D

I live in the North East of England in small town called Guisborough. It's right on the egde of the north yorkshire moors national park.. but I've no horses here! Luckily, my place of work is just five miles down the road in a little village called Great Ayton (the boyhood home of the famous Captain Cook!) and is also on the edge of the national park - it gives us plenty of riding opportunities.

I train/work at the stud which the horses were born on and have lived on since, more information about them is available on the Zafran website! I'm sorry to keep plugging the link, it just makes it easier than me explaining it all! Plus, I just spent a few weeks developing the site ;)

I aplogise in advance for any errors/bugs, don't be afraid to let me know :)

Photo's are available here: http://zafranhorses.com/gallery/index.php?v=list&i=0&p=Mares%20and%20Fillies/Zeta%20of%20Wilki

I did add individual photo's to the post but they are huge and took forever to load. At least with the above link you can see scaled down versions with half the loading time :P

I will upload some training photo's in the next few days! BUt at least you can see my horse(s) :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:47 pm 

Ah man, she is truly beautiful!
It is nice to live or have a horse so close to open land, a rarerity these days.
How on earth did they get her tail to grow so long and be sooo clean.
I'm afriad my scruffy horse lives out in Africa and looks like a "veld" (bush) horse!!!!!
Would love to see your pics of training. I use photobucket, which works really well and quick. (Plus if your computer ever crashes, you still have an album out there in cyberspace!)
Hope you enjoy reading here as there are so many threads and exercises to inspire! :yes:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:54 pm 

Morgan wrote:
Ah man, she is truly beautiful!
It is nice to live or have a horse so close to open land, a rarerity these days.
How on earth did they get her tail to grow so long and be sooo clean.
I'm afriad my scruffy horse lives out in Africa and looks like a "veld" (bush) horse!!!!!
Would love to see your pics of training. I use photobucket, which works really well and quick. (Plus if your computer ever crashes, you still have an album out there in cyberspace!)
Hope you enjoy reading here as there are so many threads and exercises to inspire! :yes:

As far as I know, the length of the tail comes from plaiting! I'm not so sure about the cleaness, but I assume it's a benefit to the daily grooming of the mane and tails aswell the usual hoof pick and brush over. I'll ask and see what the owner has to say!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:08 pm 

I already said welcome in your diary, but I'll say it again! Welcome!

What breed are these horses?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:19 pm 

Karen wrote:
I already said welcome in your diary, but I'll say it again! Welcome!

What breed are these horses?

I wondered how long it would be before the "killer question" cropped up! The horses are from the Zafran breed, born and raised in Great Ayton and exclusive to the farm! There are currently eight of them in the world, and DEFRA (sorry forgot what it means!) are currently completing the neccessary checks to make sure they are a new breed.

The main bloods are Iberian, Arab and Thoroughbred! The other components are closely guarded to prevent any issues! An "article" was published in the Horse & Hound magazine here in the UK, http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/284455.html

I hope this helps! Sorry for the lack of specifics :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:38 pm 

Ah...ok...more or less like "Hispano". Very nice looking horses!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:38 am 

Andrew, what an introduction to horses. I read the rider comments, it sounds so positive from all the participants.
You obviously now realise why it is preferable to be rich and have horses and why most horse owners are permanently impoverished providing for their darling animals.
Horses are the most addictive substance on the planet, they get you at soul level, it is always deeper than simply blood, sweat and tears.
Plenty to read and share on this site, you have found a place which endorses your belief that training can be kind, fun and respectful. Susie xx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:05 pm 

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I look forward to reading and keeping up with your diary :thumright:

xxx