The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hi i'm Tanya
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:58 am 

Hi i'm Tanya,
I've been arround horses and dogs since I was a baby, I was taught to ride traditionaly but about 5 years ago I started to play with the horses with just a rope arround thier necks, they loved it and so did I, untill a few months ago I never understood or went much futher with this. I was looking on the net about bitless work with horses and found NHE, and thats a story for another day, It did however open my eyes to the possibility of having the greatest relationship with my horses that I had ever imagined.

I live in Australia and have the privalige of looking after 20 beautiful horses and ponies. We used to breed Highland ponies but now most of our horses are reascued from abuse or neglect.

I have stoped riding since I found out about NHE and i'm loving it, it takes off all the preasure, I can just 'be' with the horses. I guess I will ride again when the time is right, but for now i'm just happy to hang arround and play them and I think they are to.

I'll just post one pic for now of my darling Eilidh, she is the love of my life, shes a 13.2hh, 14yo Highland pony mare and I've had her since she was born.

Edit (please excuse my awful spelling)

Wow it's been a long time, I had to take a break from here for a while (even though I had just arrived) alot of things have been happening in my life and the NHE thing put me off forums (lol).
I have had a lot of preasure from people to "compete and ride properly" in the last few months and most of it has come from someone very close that I thought would support me all the way, she understands the no bit part of things but not the rest of it. I aso lost someone very dear to me and it has made me realise that life is short and I need to get my bum in to gear! There is so much I want to do!
Needless to say all these things have led me back here, I need the support of like minded people, to know there are others out there that have the same dreams for thier horses.

I have started to put together a proposal for the Pony Club Assosiation of Victoria to hopefuly convince them to allow the use of bitless bridles. I know its not much but its a step towards a better future for horses. If anyone has any info that migh help convince them it would be very much apreciated!

I am also trying to organise a Share your experiences/knowladge/clinic of sorts to explain and demonstrate the relationship you can have with your horse by not using a bit or punishment by using cordeos and playing games that sort of thing. Anyone in Victoria Australia thats interested I would love to hear any ideas you had, if you think its a good idea or bad? and even better, if you'd like to come.

Now back to the unfinnished introduction...

You've met Eilidh so here is her Dam Penny, 29yo, 12.3hh Highland Pony mare
Hunter, Eilidhs not so little brother, 14hh, 13yo Highland Pony Gelding (the big grey fellow)
Eilidhs first foal Ceilidh, 4yo, 13.2hh? Arab x Highland mare
Eilidhs seccond foal Coolie, 2yo, aprox 13.3hh, Stock horse x Highland gelding
Eilidhs 3rd and last foal Bonnie (other wise known as monster pony, she is already boss of 5 out of the 6 other horses in the paddock) , 6 month old, Qarter horse x Highland Filly
Cara, Ceilidhs first baby (a bit of an accedent, don't regret it at all though lol, Her daddy Tom was suppost to be infurtile because he was so badly starved for his first 2 yoears of life), 8 month old, quarter horse x arab x highland filly
Nichol, 9yo (i've had him since he was 4), 12hh, australian pony, we reascued him from abuse, I was suppost to just have him for a month to do some ground work with but that didnt happen, I fell in love and no one else could get near him when they tryed to catch him (because some idiot chaced him with a car till he couldn't stop and slit his mouth with a knife) so they decided he wasn't worth re selling and I could keep him, Thank God! Hes the little man that started the playing with the cordeo (because of his mouth). (he says please excuse his large tummy, hes been working on it at the gym)
Denny, 15yo, 15hh stock horse gelding. He was reascued and then re rescued, its a long story. Hes such a sop, all he wants is cuddles and he'd lick you all day if you let him.
Thunder, My baby, 15yo, 15hh clydesdale x some sort of pony (cob?) gelding. He was rescued from a very ignorant man wholike to watch him run so he chased him arround with a stick and got him stuck between the house and car with a cart on (he was broken to harness). Hes very sensitive now but sweet and so honest, and an absolute pig of an eater!
Luke, 5yo, 16hh, connemara x TB gelding. I bought him to showjump (thats never going to happen now) hes having a career change to lazy bum baby.
Tom, 4yo, 14.3hh Quarter horse stallion (to be gelded), Cara and Bonnies Daddy, Rescued from starvation. I think we have finaly found him the perfect home with a lovely lady who is very willing to just spend time with him and love him and when hes ready ride him bitless.
Tug, 9yo, 9hh shetland x mini pony. He and Snow where dumped as uncatchable colts after a marrage break up. Hes absolutly brilliant, he can calm down almost any horse and hes best friends with Hunter which is something because Hunter is the bossyest pony i've ever met, he NEVER lets another horse near his girls ( Eilidh, Penny, Ceilidh, Cara and Bonnie) accept Tug, hes allowd to eat with him and they play like foals for hours together.
Snow, 10yo, 8.2hh shetland. Snow is so sweet, cuddly and loves kids but hes very unsure of tall men. I think he might have been hit buy one when he was a young full of himself colt. I'm looking for a home for him with kids and loving willing to learn people. (if you know anyone), I hate to do it but he loves the attention of kids and he won't get it living with me.
Lily, my first pony, 19yo 10.2hh shetland x welsh. Shes a cheeky little girl, she used to buck be off all the time (I probably deserved it, though I was too young to know why).
Barnsy, the newest arrival, 16hh, 12yo TB gelding. His old owner bough him as a show horse for $10,000 (the fact that you can put a price tag on a living animal in the first place is descusting), he reared on her a few times and she decided he was dangerous and should be put down, I found out and said I would take him. Hes so sore in his girth, back and hindquarters and she rode him so tight and tense its no wonder he reared, hes so sweet and smart, when I bring him up to do his massage he moves arround for me to get the 'good spots', i've started him doing some gentle streching too. If you know any good streches for those areas we'd love to know!
We have a few other short term resedents too one of them is jessie a 19yo, 12hh welsh mare.

And to finnish off for tonight (its getting late) just some fun pics.

Last edited by puffinfire on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Tanya
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:07 pm 

ooooooohhhh, i am so excited! :yes: :cheers: i am so glad that you are here and i can get to know you in a less.........hmmmmm......well, you know......less....high pressure ;) ;) forum ;) ;)

i love highland ponies. i used to have the best highland pony on earth, and i wish i could find her, but she would be over thirty now. they are great. :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

i cannot wait to see more from you and really get to know you. but feel free to open up as you want to. there is no rush :yes: :yes: as i have already told you, they are all loving on here and accepting. we are all here to support each other :applause: :cheers: :kiss: so welcome!!! :applause:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:29 pm 

I'm really glad to be here to!!! It's seems like such a wonderful enviroment already! :friends:

Do you know the stud name of the pony? or her brand? I might be able to track her down for you. :f:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:35 pm 

oooh, that would be great. i will look over some old photos of her. all i know her name as was Brandy. she was dun. and she was built like a tank!!! i realy loved her :love: :love: :love: i will have to do some digging to find the photos, but i hope that i find something that could help as i just miss her so much! :yes:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Tanya!! :)

Great that you have joined us and I am looking forward to reading more about you and your ponies... and seeing more of your beautiful artwork of course. :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:40 pm 

Welcome Tanya!

I adore your art as well....beautiful!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:54 am 

Hi Tanya

Well another Tanya, my name is Tanja too, just a little different is spelling.
Gorgeous horse!

Welcome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Tanya!!

Welcome here :D

Kind regards

Bianca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:55 am 

Thank you all for your kind welcomes! I'm so glad to be back on here. :yes:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:06 am 

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: yay!!! you are back on here :applause: :applause: :applause: need my fellow Ausies here with me. this is great!!!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: cant wait to hear about how things have been going, hope all is ok, and you have been safe through all the terrible weather conditions and natural disasters we have been having. :kiss: :kiss: so glad you are back!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:17 am 

Hi Jessy!!! :cheers: How have you been???
The weather here has actuly been not so bad. (all though at the moment we have gale force winds blowing everything arround the yard, Hehe). :funny: How has it been at your place?

We have a new addition to the family, Barnsy, theres a bit about him up the top. A new dog addition too, Pippa a 17 week old female Kelpie. I've just been reading about your boys and thier puppies, they look so happy! The pic is her and my boy Boadie, 5yo Husky x Kepie x Staffy x Heeler. :love:

The horses have all been going well. Nichol especially, hes descovered how much fun standing on blocks of wood is. Sometimes i'll be cleaning the paddock and he'll walk over too his stump, stand on it and look at me. :funny: :funny: :funny: Hes started to learn spanish walk from doing it to. The other one that has been going really well is Bonnie, she thinks shes human, despite my best efforts to let her just be a horse in the herd, she follows me every where and when I leave the paddock she stand there and whinnys, she even leaves mum to winge at me. If I have the horses out she'll follow me into the shed or the house or the horse truck and she can't stand it if another horse comes to colse, she trys to eat them! LOL it's a very funny site to see a 6 month old trying to bash up 6 older horses and often sucseding. I don't think they know what to do with her. :blush:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:04 am 

hi there :D :love: :love: :love: what a cheeky adorable little pup!!!! i love kelpies! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Quote:
The horses have all been going well. Nichol especially, hes descovered how much fun standing on blocks of wood is. Sometimes i'll be cleaning the paddock and he'll walk over too his stump, stand on it and look at me. Hes started to learn spanish walk from doing it to.

i know!!! Danni and Flossy are my biggest pedistal fans, they will go and stand on things randomly in the paddock and just stare me out until i go and treat them! :funny: they are just so funny!!! and great how you are doing spannish walk from pedistal too. i have tought bandi in that manner, actualy , he just did it, there was very little teaching involved! ;) he just offered a jambette once, and i just shaped it. he is so adorable. i love teaching from pedistal, he learnt to,,,, i would like to call it pesade, but it is not yet, he learnt to rear from the pedistal too. and wave!!! i love it!

Quote:
Bonnie, she thinks shes human, despite my best efforts to let her just be a horse in the herd, she follows me every where and when I leave the paddock she stand there and whinnys, she even leaves mum to winge at me. If I have the horses out she'll follow me into the shed or the house or the horse truck and she can't stand it if another horse comes to colse, she trys to eat them

:funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: hahahaha, i love it!!! i have the same with the yearlings and especially one, peaches!!! i cannot go into the herd without her right by my shoulder. she just feels that she is my best friend, and dont anyone else try to talk to me!!! :funny: :love:

i had a photographer out recently to take some shots, and he thought that it was funny that my horses are "people" danni was her typical stuck up self, i need to video her facial expressions!!! she just feels that she is better than anyone! :funny: :funny: :funny: and Doc, he is such a person, he fell in love with the photographer, and would not leave him alone, he was trying to smooch him, and was picking things up and giving them to him.... i had the treats, but NOOOOO, he wanted him!!! :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: and flossy is a bratty child that is spoiled rotten! LOL :funny: :funny: :funny: Aztec had a tantrum when i locked her out of the arena to play with the others and actually threw herself at the ground, and stomped her feet and struck at the ground!!! it was hysterical! :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

i just recently tried to turn Aztec out to grow with the big herd, and she wouldnt. she pined so badly and stressed out even with a friend, that i had to go back and get her. she dragged me onto the float and told me with everything that she had, i was never to do that again! i had to buy her a rug, because when i was rugging some of the others that needed it, she would come over and get under as i was putting it on, and try to take it!!! she thinks that a rug makes her special! :funny: :funny: :love: :love: :love: she loves it. i have never known a horse like her. and it is funny, because i have learned that some horses do prefer the less natural life.... i NEVER would have thought that befor her!!!! ;) :D horses are always teaching me!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:06 am 

Hello there Tanya, and welcome.

I so enjoyed looking at the pictures of all your babies and pals. What a delightful way to live, surrounded by ponies and horses.

I have only two, and they nearly fill my life up. Such fun.

I look forward to more stories about your friends.

Donald, Altea, and her baby, Bonnie (Bonalaria) - Andalusians - mostly.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:37 am 

Welcome, welcome, welcome :cheers:

Your horses are gorgeous :love: Look forward to hearing more about them

xxx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:04 am 

Thank you for your welcomes Donald and Sam. Yes it is a wonderful way to live! I can't stand going to work and having to leave them all. I'm very lucky we found a place we could afford to rent with enough land for them all.
I'm terrible at saying no. So I allways end up collecting more family, and then we get attached and I can't re home them.

Jessy, your babys sound like there human!!! :funny: :yes:
They are so much smarter than people give them credit for. I swear Bonnie was born with an adult brain, nothing phases her (unless people don't do as she tells them). Cara is completely opposite, I think it might partly be coz her mums so young? Shes very high strung and won't leave her mums side for very long even at 7 months, She loves people though just not like Bonnie does. I've been trying to think of some games for them to play, chase the tiger that sort of thing, do you know if letting them stand on a stump at this age would harm them in any way?

Tugs really funny with being up high, I had the horses out eating on the drive one day and the ramp of the truck was down, Tug and Hunter had been playing and Tug kept rearing and trying to reach Hunters head. I turned arround a minuite later and Tug had walked up the ramp and was playing the you bite me I bite you game with Hunter from the top where he could reach. :funny: :funny: :funny: