The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:51 am 

Hi Everyone... I would like to re-intrduce myself as it has been a while since ive been on this site(i have to admit proberally about a year or 2 :blush: ) due to work commitments and other things going on in my life.
My name is Emily and I have 2 beautiful horse... my gelding 'Lorenzo' who is my heart and my beautiful girl 'Moon'. Lorenzo is a pure bred Arabian, rising 17 this year and Moon has just turned 4. Recently I have been spending quite a bit of time on youtube and have watched the 'art of natural dressage video's'.. which are amazing & have really inspired me to create a better relationship with my horse. I do study natural horsemanship(Parelli),studing level 3/4 and have been a student of theirs since 1998 but I have always felt that something was lacking in my relationship with my horses.. maybe It was the fact that most of what i saw in the natural horsemansip circles always had that little bit of 'make' to it and it wasn't the horse purly doing things because they want to. Im sure this isn't the case with all natural horsemansip.. but just what i have been observing and experiencing for some time. When I first visisted this site( 2 years ago i think) I started learning and putting a few things i had learned into practise.. I was overwhelmed at the results and it seemed to awaken my horses spirit and for the first time 'Lorenzo' wanted to play with me... he was even initiating some of the sessions.. which was really cool. Since then I have just been playing with what i have learned through this site as well as my natural horsemanship. I have been playing around with a bit of spanish walk, playing with the ball and bowing. I now have got to a point where i feel that is so much more i need to learn. My dream is to be able to ride bridle-less and offer my horses the lightness they deserve. I am very excited about learning about haute ecole movements.. I think it is the most beautiful thing but only if its done without tack and force. I created little video of Lorenzo and I- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It7STZKP3Lk
This is my boy Lorenzo-

...and my girl Moon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:30 am 

Oh Emily when I see people like you that are not on the telly been natural with their horses, it just brings a tear to my eye, both you and Lorenzo have an amazing bond.
You and lorenzo looked beautiful in the video and its people like you that give me the inspiration to be natural with my horse Quillo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:05 am 

Hi there,

that really is a beautiful video! What a fabulous relationship you two have.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:17 am 
Site Admin

Welcome back, Emily! :)

I also enjoyed watching your video. Lorenzo is such a wonderful boy and I can really imagine how much he blossoms with a positive-reinforcement-based approach in his training. Please keep posting videos and writing about your progress with each other. :)

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:21 am 

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments. :smile: I am so glad to be back on this fourm.. just waiting for some nice weather so I can get out to the paddock and play.. We have had some pretty crazy flooding and the ground is extreamly soggy.. but the rain is appreciated.. Im sure the farmers will love it.
I am really excited about strarting with Moon.. I havn't got to know her very well yet but I admit Ive also been a bit slack too.. and she's looking a bit bored in the paddock. Moon is extremenly high spirited and cheeky... Im sure she will really enjoy playing with me. Im really thrilled with how Lorenzo is progressing.. he seems happier, more enthusiastic and exuberant... I love seeing him grown more confident & we are having so much more fun learning together. Will keep you updated.. pending on the weather improving.. fingers crossed ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:28 am 

Hi Emily, welcome! Lorenzo and Moon are just beautiful!

I used to do Parelli (just level 1) a few years ago with one of my horses, but also started to realise what you have noticed, about the 'make', that it wasn't the horse choosing/wanting to do things. I wanted my horses to want to play with me, so I went in another direction... and I'm so glad I did. :)

Quote:
Im really thrilled with how Lorenzo is progressing.. he seems happier, more enthusiastic and exuberant... I love seeing him grown more confident & we are having so much more fun learning together.

Wonderful! :cheers:

Crazy flooding and soggy ground: tell me about it!!! I am waiting and waiting for the ground to dry so I can play properly with everyone again, but it keeps almost drying up and then raining again.:evil:

I hope you'll start a diary, I look forward to following your progress. :smile: