The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:13 pm 

Hi everybody!

First of all, I want to say that it is very difficult for me to write something about myself in English.
It even has kept me from writing a topic, because I am afraid of making stupid mistakes.. :blonde:

However, I persuade myself today and now I'm typing :D

Allright, to the point :yes:

I'm a nineteen year old girl from Holland, and for a long, long time I have a great passion for horses.
However, most girls who love horses in Holland go to the riders school (is that the right subsciption in English?) we call in 'manege' in Holland.

But because my parents thought it was too expensive, they didn't let me go.
Today I am actually thankfull for that, because I think that I never had learn Natural Horsemanship if I was went to the riding school in my younger years.

When I was 15 years old, I decided to earn some money so I could pay the riding school lessons myself.
I hoped I should found the same girls as me; full of passion for horses, to feel the horse and to start a journey together.
But I was so disapointed, I found nothing of the things I was hoping for.

The girls all got there to ride the horse, not to have a partnership with the horse..
I never went back there.

From that they I searched on the web and in the library for articles and people who were searching for the same thing as me: a partnership with a horse..

I found many things, and I've been reading many different theories for years now. Since I were 14/15 years old. (5 years)
Finally I can buy a horse myself, he is 2 years old, his father is an Arabian horse and his mother a Haflinger.
But I really don't know where to start now. Or maybe I know too much..

I mean.. You have Parelli, Monty Roberts, Nevzorov, Klaus Ferdinant Hempfling, AND, etc...

I think I will start with Parelli (I have the levels on DVD) but actually I want to do AND as well.
But I don't know how to mix it in a cind of way.. :huh:

I hope you can help me though this forum..!

Greetings!

Elvire Gort

Ps; I'm sorry if I used the wrong words or orthography.. :sad: :blush:
Pss: Some pictures with me and horses I have taken care of:
ImageImageImage

Last edited by Elvuuwiej on Fri May 08, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Elvire, welcome!! :)

I hope you will enjoy the forum and find what you are looking for. And don´t worry about you English, it is completely understandable. :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:21 pm 

Hi Romy,

Thank you for you welcome! :)

I'm sure I will find were I'm looking for! :yes:

Greetz!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi and welcome!

Why are you complaining about your english? it is great! :yes:

ha ha mix AND with Parelli?
you can mix AND with anything... afteral, within AND, it is not we who tell you what to do, it is your horse!

AND is not a method, it is a philosophy and it is different for each horse and his human.
And that is what makes AND different from all the methods in the world :)

Have fun!
haflinger x arab... wow that should be beautiful!

Warm regards,

Josepha

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:17 pm 

I cannot say anything better than Josepha and others have already said. So I will just say welcome and I know you will find your way with your horse!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:58 pm 

Hi Josepha (and to all people :yes: ) thank you for your warm welkom!

haha, thank you :blush: (for my english)

But about the 'mix' I ment to say that I don't know how to start..
The horse became this month 2 years old, and the only thing he knows now it to walk gently with a halter on. Nothing more..
They are now training him to go in the trailer. If he is ready I will get him to his new stable.

The point is that I don't want him to became stressfull.. New environment, new girl who takes care of him, new horses..
I'm afraid that it would be too much for him if I train him also from the moment I get him..
When can I start to train him?
And can I only go walking with him or can I also train him (Parelli, 'vrijheidsdressuur' (how do you call it in english?) etc) from the moment I buy him?

I really don't know how to begin..

I hope you can help me!

Thank you all!

warm reards,

Elvire

Ps; it really is a beautifull horse!!
I will post some pics of him in my profile, but he is already a realy different horse!
(He is now more bay than red, his tail is not white anymore (only a cople hairs are white) and because his winter hairs (??) are gone now, he become like his daddy; an Arabian :inlove: )
I have some pictures and a little movie on my mobile phone ,but I don't know how I must put it on my computer.. haha :blonde:
If I find out how to get the picture on my computer, I will show you!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Elvire,

Welcome here! :green:
You can start with just reading this -> viewtopic.php?f=27&t=111
and see what other topics within this section are marked with a 1. Maybe this will give you an first idea.

Kind regards

Bianca

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:52 am 

Hello to Elvire first,

I am also a newcomer on this forum and have sort of the similar problem.
Wanting to start with AND but not really knowing how to.
I have noticed that when you read the diaries, that gives good ideas also on what you could do with your horse.
I wish you all the luck with your beauty!

So thanks Bianca, pointing out to this topic is great!
I know I should be able to find it myself if I start screening the whole forum, but in the beginning it is all new and you just don't really know where to start.

I have recommended the forum to a friend of mine already, she is also struggling a bit with her Fjord (3yr).
She is a bit reluctant because of the English too, but maybe she will also just take the step.

We can only get better... :yes:

PS: I am just finding out about how to use these smileys, this one worked! :applause:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:44 pm 

Hey!

When I first got 'here' I just read a lot of posts (especially the '1: ...' posts in the groundwork section but also some of the 'further on' posts) and some diaries, some that just started, some that were somewhere on the way.

Just to see, how did someone else start, where did she/he bump into, what can I start with, what can become of this all.

I must say, that helped me alot! Though we're in our ups and downs we're doing great when it comes to bonding, so that's for me most important!

Good luck!

(oh, and start a diary yourself, people can really help here I noticed, especially when you put movies in! Great advice and really good to see how far you've come... I have a tendency to forget what we accomplished, reading your diary yourself might help then!)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:15 pm 

Whow, this forum is really great! :yes:
Al the people here are so kind!
What I often see on 'horseforums', is that people compete with eachother, and also kill each other with words..
The environment is great here!
So thank you guys for being so nice! It really is a warm welcome!

To Bianca:
Thank you for your tip! It is really helpful!

To AMA:
Welcome also on the forum!
It is nice to hear that I am not the only one having that problem; not knowing how to start
I didn't knew yet that you could post a diary on the forum, thank you for letting me know!
I think that would be really helpful!
I will buy my horse next Saturday, finally!
I hope I can make some movies from the beginning, and hope you can help me with problems.
I will read your topic also, I'm really curious about you (and your horse)!

to KDS:
Thank you for your welcome and advice!
Great to hear what helped you the first time!
I will read much as possible, and also start a diary on the forum (haha, never thought I would be so busy with this.. :funny: )
I will let you know if I have news about me and my little horsey!! :yes: (on my diary topic)

Kind regards to all you sweet people!

Elvire

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:07 pm 

Hi Elvire!

I wanted to also say welcome, and please don't worry about your English, it's just great.

And you have a Haflinger cross! I have a four year old Haflinger girl who I adore (and who constantly is challenging me to become a better horse person because she's so much smarter than I am). ;)

And, as Josepha and others said, there is no "right" way to approach AND -- and I think AND is something a little bit different for each one of us here -- that's maybe what I love the most about it. :)

Glad you're here, and I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

All the best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:19 pm 

Hi welcome!

Your horse sounds great! Can't wait to see some pics of this special mix :D

Regards!