The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Wotabi and Gauda
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:18 pm 

Hello to you all,

It took me a while to introduce myself, but finally here I go.
I am AnneMarie (AMA=initials), living near Brussels and I am the proud owner of 4 horses.
Three of them make Wotabi: my first love: Wodan (10yr), my big man:Tachat (13yr) and my baby: Billy (8yr), 3 geldings which I have had for about 8yrs now.
Gauda is a lovely little mare which I only just managed to buy on May 1st. She is 2yr.

I was a 'late discoverer' even though I said at my 15 that one day I would own my horse.
Well, it took me till my 43rd before this actually happened, but then I had 3 of them in less than 6months...
Three horses and none I could learn to ride on: Wodan and Billy were still far too young, Tachat I bought disabled on the hind legs at the age of 5!
He was meant to become one of the top jumping horses in Belgium (made perfect 1m40 jumps at 4yr). But the harsh training he got on this pro(!) level, while his young body was still growing so much, was almost fatal for him.
I bought him to help him get better (what did I know about horses?) and saved him from becoming steak... which also counts for the 2 others actually!
(It is amazing how people sell good horses for slaughter, just because they want to get rid of them - disgusting! :evil: )

Anyway, I started with NH lessons, did a lot of groundwork and just being with them, which I love to do (especially in the dark, but than I am a bit crazy...)
I had a few riding lessons but somehow I did not find the right teacher that really suited me.
So with a bit of luck I can sit on my horses' back and stay on there while walking or even for a gentle little trot. I love to do so without a saddle, even though for Tachat I need a saddle because he is pretty boney and he throws me up in the air when he trots. But then, he is a giant horse... and I am only a little lady!
Galopping I have done only a few times and I always start laughing like crazy then, something in my tummy makes me do so :D

But to continue my story about the horses:
Up till last September my horses were living at a farm where they were in a herd 24/7 outside on the prairie.
My little filly arrived at that same farm last year april. She was just 1yr old and already extremely traumatised by her previous owner. She was scared to death for people.
Nobody could come near her, let alone get in her stable. She stood there shaking in her stable, with 2 oversized halters on, one still had a (sort of) leadrope hanging.
As soon as I saw her, she stole my heart. I asked the old farmer if I could keep myself busy with her. I felt my horsemanship had become 'natural' enough to help this little creature to trust humans again.

It took me several weeks, doing less was better, but after 3 weeks I could cut the rope and the halsters. :cheers:
A little later I could stay in the stable with her, rubbing her gently with a carrot stick. Then came the rubbing with the hands and so on. After about 6 weeks I could put a rope halter on, take her out on a lead to the yard, take off the halter and let go. When I came back, I could 'catch' her pretty easily since she liked being with me.
The farmer allowed me to give her name and I chose Gauda after the Spanish colourful architect Gaudi. The picture (if I manage) will tell you why.
But when my boys moved to their own prairie, I had to leave her behind since she was not for sale.

I went to the farm every now and than to have a chat with the farmer and to look at 'my' Gauda. She recognised me each time and came to me as soon as she could, to have her cuddles and sweet words wispered. I guess you can call me a horse whisperer in the real sense of the word! :D
The farmer realised that there was something special going on between this filly and me and recently he decided I was allowed to buy her if I wanted.
As if I would not have wanted it...
So now I have 4 beautiful creatures on my prairie (and a few smaller size at home: 2 dogs and 1 cat, oh yes and 1 husband too :love: )

I am still dreaming of being able to ride properly one day. To me that means: no saddle, nothing, just my horse and me in 1 flow together.
Don't know if I will ever be able to do so, but I am sure I will be able to learn a lot from all of you.
And in the meantime my horses and I have a good time together, which is the main thing anyway!

This is mainly what I would tell you now, otherwise I will soon be over y 60000 characters :funny:

Oh yes, one more thing: I think this forum is lovely and I love the positive attitude of all of you!
Thanks for being nice! (makes a change with most other forums...)

AnneMarie

PS: So far so good, only I don't see how I can add my pictures, so I can show off with my beauties??? :sad:
(I am more silver than :blonde: , but that does not seem to help either...)

Post subject: Re: Wotabi and Gauda
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:45 am 

Welcome!

I loved the story about Gauda (I love Gaudi also maybe that's part of it) and I want to see pictures, lots of them...

The post the picture, you should upload them on the world wide web (I use photobucket, but many others are suitable), and post the link on this forum. In this case we can 'click' the link and will be guided to the corresponding website... which is half the fun of having the pictures in your post...

If you want them to be showing in your post you'll have to put the link inbetween : [img ] (link) [/img ] (but without the space after img...
This is easily done with pushing the Img button right under de name of de subject (right before font size).

So: Welcome!

And it's true about the forum (I have to say this more often) I only have had positive and helpful reactions! Way better then most other Forums!

Kirsten

P.S. I actually am blond, it's been more of a help thn of a burden to be honest ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:57 am 

Waw, sounds great. You have your handfull with all of your horses.
I am really curious to see some pics!!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:04 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, AnneMarie!! :)

So nice to have you here and your horses sound lovely! Here is a little explanation about posting pictures.

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:20 am 

Welcome to AND I'm sure you'll love it here. Your horses sound wonderful and you seem to have such a great connection with them all. I look forward to reading more of your adventures. :smile:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:04 pm 

I will have to make the pics smaller first, than put them on a site, and then only can I make the link...
Will take just a little while, specially because I'm not an expert in these things.

Will try to do so later today or tomorrow.
Thanks to you all for the info. I hope it works out well.

AnneMarie

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:12 pm 

Hello and welcome. I think it's great that you are trying to help all these horses - I have an almost 6 year old that was damaged by being made to jump too early in his development also ...

I am looking forward to learning more from and about you.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi AnneMarie,

Welcome here! Such a nice story and so special that you now have Gauda permanently by your side!

Kind regards

Bianca

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:14 pm 

Welcome AnneMarie...I do hope you are able to figure out how to post photos. I really want to see!

Your horses sound lovely...so nice they found you and a beautiful life.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

What a wonderful story and I love how you say 'prairy' :)

Anyway, welcome fellow country woman!

And the best teacher we all can have, is our horse :)

Warm regards,

Josepha

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:33 pm 

Welcome to AND AnneMarie :)

Your story is beautiful, you have gathered some wonderful friends, horses do have a strange way of getting into our lives, every story I hear of unexpected horse arrivals are so magical, and your filly sounds very magical, I can't wait to see her too, and all of your other lucky boys.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:11 am 

Thank you all for welcoming me so nicely.
In the meantime I am stilly trying to get these pictures on a site.
Only, I am not too handy in these things since my husband is photographer and he knows all of it.
But he is touring in France and will be back only in about 10 days (I hope).
In the worst case I will have to keep you all waiting that long before your wish will be fulfilled :smile:

But you will realise that it is worth waiting for, they are the prettiest horses in the/my world !

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:45 pm 

I am feeling very happy and would like to share this with you!

Since last October, the 7yr old daughter of my cousin comes to me to learn about horses and riding the natural way.
She is a very sweet little thing and she has a naturaly flair with the horses.
Her name is Sophie-Anne, she works and plays with Wodan since he is D-pony size and the smallest of the herd.

Last sunday she had a ballet performance and I went to see it.
My cousin invited me for a dinner afterwards since both her father and her parents-in-law would be there too.
(I did not realise it was mothers day...)

During the apero, a present was given to the mother-in-law.
And than, all of a sudden, Sophie-Anne came to me with a nice pot of flowers, for my motherday!
My cousin told me that the little one had specifically asked her to be able to give something to me too!

I was so overwhelmed by feelings of love and joy!
I have always wanted children but never managed to have any.
THIS WAS MY FIRST MOTHERDAY EVER !

Thanks to Sophie-Anne, Bieke (her mother) and the horses!
:kiss:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:31 am 

Oh bless you AnneMarie, this is so touching to read, how very special that little girl must be. I'm very pleased for you, love does come in the sweetest packages.xx :kiss:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:17 pm 

Hi AnneMarie, and welcome!

Congratulations on your Mother's Day gift -- beautiful.

And this caught my eye:

Quote:
He was meant to become one of the top jumping horses in Belgium (made perfect 1m40 jumps at 4yr). But the harsh training he got on this pro(!) level, while his young body was still growing so much, was almost fatal for him.

One of my guys, Stardust, has a very similar story -- he was a grand prix jumper who got pushed too hard, which either caused or worsened some serious alignment issues for him -- years of being worked in extreme pain...he's come a long way back! Stardust sounds a lot like Tachat -- he's huge and has a huge trot, too! (And Tachat has been healing from his hind leg injuries? Would love to hear more about what what happening with him.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing more about your gang.

All the best,
Leigh