The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:04 am 

Hello!
My name is Regina and I live on the eastern side of Washington State. We have 80 acres of hills and woods of which about half is fenced for my two boys Moon Dance and Micah. I am a trail rider although in my youth I did some showing most of which was gaming, like barrel racing and such. I also love doing groundwork and I am so interested in what all of you are doing with your lovely horses. We have beautiful trails in most every direction of my home. Now on the downside of middle age, I love my horses more than ever and want to develop a closer and more understanding relationship with my boys.

I have been on the path of natural horsemanship methods for about 20 plus years. Many of these methods may get you a well oiled machine, but not necessarily a partnership. Well in the past 6 months or so, I have been on a search for a better way to be with my horses. Especially Micah, a Tennessee Walker, almost 4 years old. I am realizing that he may very well be my last horse and I want the best for us in partnership. I watched the dvd The Path of the Horse, which really got to me. I then absorbed like a sponge as much as possible from the websites , dvds and books of Carolyn Resnick, Klaus Ferdinand Hempfling, Alexander Nevzorov and some others.

I recently found AND and have been reading and reading. So much information and wonderful people and horses here. I do not know where to begin sometimes. I regret not finding this information years ago, but I am so eager to further develop my relationship and trust with my boys. Moon Dance is a 17 year old Saddlebred/Missouri Foxtrotter cross. He has been with me from birth, which I was there to witness and imprint. Thank you for this wonderful forum.

Regina

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:32 am 

Hi Regina,
welcome to AND and a new way of enjoying your horses. I'm from Eastern Washington, too, and am glad about everyone from the Pacific Northwest who joins. :)
Looking forward to hearing more about you and your horses and hopefully seeing some pictures as well.
Birgit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, Regina!! :)

So great that you have joined us and I hope that we will read much more about you and your boys. And wow, 80 acres of hills and woods for the horses sounds like a dream! Do you have some pictures?

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Regina,

Your home sounds like a paradise! Hearing stories like yours makes me feal warm and fuzzy inside, as that is exactly why Bianca, Miriam and I started this vivid green lounge :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:33 pm 

Thank you for the nice comments Romy, Josepha and Birgit. Birgit where abouts are you in the Pacific NW? I am in Chattaroy in the foothills of Mt. Spokane. I tried to attach some pictures but can't figure out how to do that. Can someone help me out?

It's a lovely sunny day here and I hope to have some fun with the horses this weekend!

Regina

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:06 pm 

Ok, this is a test to see if I added pictures correctly.
The first one (if you can see it) is Moon and Micah in the snow. Moon is the black and white, Micah is the black.

The next one is me and Moon on a trail ride. Hope this works.....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:34 pm 

Hi Regina,
great pictures. Is Moondance a Tennessee Walker, too? He's beautiful!
We are near Pullman, in the middle of wheat fields. I used to go up to the Spokane County animal shelter all the time to rescue dogs
That must not be too far from where you are?
Enjoy taking a look around here and hopefully you find a lot of good ideas and inspirations. I've been on here for a year and still haven't read nearly everything there is to read, esp. in the diaries.
Start a diary anytime you like, it's a great way to see how you and your horses develop over time. Some people make it mostly a photo diary, some chat with friends, some record their thoughts and feelings, either way, it's fun to look back later. I just looked at mine after a year and was amazed at what I did and said a year ago. :funny:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:57 pm 

Hey Birgit,
Thank you! Moon is half Saddlebred and half Missourri Foxtrotter. He's always been a handful too. 17 years old and never a boring ride. He's been know to do a lovely Passage at will particularly when we come up on Llama. :) He is finally slowing down some. He is loving Chase the Tiger and some wild companion walk/trot and cantering. You are not so far from me, about 2 hours? We used to live in Troy Idaho before we bought our place in Chattaroy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:08 am 

Yes, that is really close. We used to board our horse north of Moscow until two years ago and my first riding instructor was from Troy. Do you still have any contacts there? Definitely let me know if you're in the area. :)
Birgit