The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hi from South Africa
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:58 am 

Not sure how to start so I'll start with the end.

I live West of Pretoria and North of Johannesburg, in the bush. I have two horses that live at home, George a 9 year old gelding and Eryn a 2 year old filly. They are both Appaloosas. They share the land with blesboks, springboks and a tame ostrich Daisy.

I just left the NHE forum where I stayed over 8 months, the good thing is that I have already two friends on this forum, Birgit and Jessy. So Hi to both, it is really nice to know you are here.

I still haven't made up my mind concerning riding. But for the moment it is not important to me as I'd rather be on the ground, of course I will never use a bit or have shoes on my horses. Before NHE I used the clicker and I also haven't made up my mind if I'll use it again or not. I must seem confused to you, which could be true, but in fact I am really trying to understand my horses better and the most important thing for me is of course the relationship I have with George and Eryn.

Last week Thursday, I opened the paddock and Eryn left for her walk. But George stayed behind and spent time with me for about 30 minutes. He then called Eryn a few times. But still didn't move away. I finally saw her but she kept her distance then she came cantering and bucking and performing everything she could think of doing. It was really nice to watch. After that she left as usual in front of George.
On Friday I watched Carolyn Resnick DVD "the Waterhole Rituals". And on Saturday I finally understood that George is the leader. All this time Eryn has been walking in front and I didn't realise that horses lead from the back. In my mind a leader is in front, I thought she was a strong character!!! I hope my hang ups won't be in the way that much and make me such a slow learner!!! George and Eryn have shared my life for 1 year and a half!

I still have everything to learn and I know that sharing on a forum is a great way to do that.

Before having horses, I worked in a famous cheetahs farm where I was a trainer. I used the clicker. The funny thing is that I left because management wouldn't allow me to work with the clicker or treats anymore.

I always had dogs in my life and I enjoy training them, I also stopped the clicker. I still use positive reinforcement and I understand that the click is more for the handler than the animal, it helps the timing of the handler, it is still a great way to mark a behaviour.

When I arrived in South Africa in 1991, the first thing I did was join the mounted reserve police. It still seems strange as I am completely non-violent, in fact it was a very good way to learn about the country and I was back into a horsey environment.

Home before that was Switzerland, near Geneva, two years before I left, my horse Kodex died. He was a Belgian warmblood. I wish I had known then what I know now about horses as he was ridden the old fashioned way.
I love horses since I can remember. I wish there were more space left for wild animals.

Blue

Post subject: Re: Hi from South Africa
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:13 pm 

Hi Blue,
So nice to see another south african here. (Well import anyway!!!). I came here from the U.K. in 95 and live in the western cape.
I too was on NHE (like many here) and it does take a while to get your thoughts together.
A thread I found very helpful was:
http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1652

I also very much like Carolyn's ideas and listened to her podcasts which were really good:
http://www.inhorseharmony.com/waterhole-rituals-with-carolyn-resnick-episode-1-of-3/

Welcome here and take your time, please share your thoughts as no one here will jump on you (I promise!!!!)
Best
Annette

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:53 pm 

Hi Annette,

Thank you for your welcome. It is really nice to "talk" to you as I remember some of your old posts on NHE but you weren't there anymore! It is nice to be able to share with someone of the same country as not everything applies to different part of the world.

And YES it feels so much better on this forum. On NHE forum the threat of being banned is always there, it makes it very uncomfortable. I still learned a lot though! So not all is bad principally because there are still a lot of respectful and knowledgeable people on that forum. This one is so much more open minded. I again have a lot to read!!!

Blue

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:31 pm 

Welcome to AND Blue! :f:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Blue!! :)

Looking forward to reading more about you and your animals. Hey, AND groundwork with an ostrich would be a wonderful thing, wouldn´t it?

I hope you will enjoy our forum.

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:40 pm 

And Annaliese SHuttergal is here and is happy to see yu too!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:05 pm 

Thanks Karen and Romy. Great Annaliese to see you too!

I just lost what I wrote! So I'll try again may be it will be a duplicate!

I am not sure yet what AND groundwork is. I have a lot to read! Daisy and her friend ate plants that poisoned them, her friend died and Daisy made it. She couldn't stand and I treated her for 3 weeks so she became tame. I then clicker trained her, she would spin, flap her wings but then she became glued to me and I stopped. She is always with me when I clean the stables for example and she gives me her eggs (in my hands). She is a really good friend.

George is scared of her but not Eryn. Sometimes Eryn chases Daisy who chases George in a circle. I never have a camera with me when it happens! One day Daisy was lying on the floor and Eryn went to her and inspected her all over then lied down next to her. Really amazing! Of course I was jealous! :D I love to be able to observe communication between different species.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:06 pm 

:love: :love: :love: oh Blue, you have just made my day!!!! :kiss: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

i am so glad that you are here now too. :inlove: this is such a special place to be, and i know that you will be able to chose your own path without judegement or criticism here :applause: :applause: :applause: there are many different paths on here that i have noticed, but they all have a common interest, and that is that we are here to better understand and love our horses, and in turn better understand and love ourselves. so welcome welcome welcome :giveflower: :giveflower: :giveflower: :giveflower: :giveflower: i cant wait to catch up more on George and Erin, as i feel like i am missing them. :love: :love: :f: :f: :f:

and photos, lots of photos :D :D :D :D :D cant wait :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:51 am 

:love: :love: :love: Hi Jessy, :love: :love: :love:

I don't know why I did not come here before! It feels like coming home!!! (and I am new!) I read a little on your diary, eventually I'll catch up. How are the burned horses doing? I didn't find anything about it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:43 am 

Hi Blue,
so glad you are here now. :) :kiss: :f: :f: :f: :f: :f: I'm so glad I checked in tonight so I could see your posts. I really think you will fit right in here. Looking forward to all the good stuff you have to share. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Birgit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:26 am 

Hi there. :kiss:

well, we are still waiting on those horses, but there are delays. POLITICS!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: the lady, Misty, that is the wonderful person that has organised it all, has been forced to resign because of all the messy politics. we are still pushing to get some here, but it is a slow process. it is hard to get in there and help. in the mean time we have donated loads of horsey medical stuff, but i want to actually help, and it is driving me crazy! :sad: :sad: :sad: this is life i spose. it is never easy to help. ;) i will keep everyone informed though, but they are saying that it could be a month or two befor they are in the clear and out of intensive care anyway, so we have a little while to get the ball rolling again. 8)

Quote:
I don't know why I did not come here before! It feels like coming home!!!

well... :D :D :D hate to tell you "i told you so!!" :funny: :funny: :funny: i just knew you would love it so so so so so so much! any direction you want to take. with treats, without treats. with clicker, without clicker. none of that matters. we all just want to have that magic and wonderful relationship with our horses, and so do you. so enjoy the trip, this journey is just so much fun :love: :love: :love: :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:28 am 

Thanks Birgit and Jessy. :l: :l:

My intro shows how confused I am at the moment. The good part is that both Eryn and George are very easy at the moment. I mean friendly and respectful. (even Eryn!) That is why there is no rush for me to decide on the next step.

Politics are a disaster when it comes to animals, there is so much of that here. Lets hope these horses will find their way to you soon! They deserve some TLC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:34 pm 

Hi Blue

Welcome here.
Have fun!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:00 pm 

Hi, Blue. Great to see more South African's finding this little haven. It sounds like you have been down the road less travelled.

:ieks: You have a clicker-trained ostrich - WOW - that I would LOVE to see!

I look forward to your ongoing adventures ... and as has already been said, please post some pictures of your creatures :funny: we like pictures here.

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:21 pm 

Hi Blue, and welcome. As you've already seen and felt you are going to like it here.

It looks to me as though you've been tested more than a little bit.

I'll share with you my own perspective on "methods," ie clicker, NHE, PNH, even AND.

It's all, to me, a means toward relationship with the horse. Each has something to offer in terms of new perspectives, but in the end there is just the horse, and myself, and how we are with each other.

Speaking of which, the sun just came out, and the rain has stopped, so my mother and baby, Atlea and her Bonnie, must go for their daily walk.

Please, when you have the time, collect and share photos. Do you have any of you working with Cheetahs, by the way? And of course I can't imagine anyone not wanted to see your Daisy, and her "flock."

:funny:

Donald