The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hi from U.K.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:20 pm 

Hi
I think i should start by saying that i am not as far down this road as most people seem to be on this forum but have finally plucked up the courage to introduce myself anyway.
I come from a largely conventional riding back ground (pony club, one day events etc.) and have started down this road in earnest since being in a accident which resulted in the death of a young horse whom I thought I was helping. I ride mostly other peoples horses which makes it difficult to practice natural dressage but I am increasingly incorporating aspects of it into my riding and groundwork I have trained a horse using clicker training before and found it very effected in opening up this particular very closed off frightened gelding but most of the owners i ride for dont see it as such a good idea.
I share my mums pony called bart who is 17 . We have had him since i was 11 and he has proved a brilliant teacher first carrying me round showjumping and hunter trials courses and now again in my attempts at natural dressage. He can now happily be ridden without a bridle although he objects to either headcollar or cordeo it seems with bart its all or nothing and he is very contientious about telling me when i have let a session go on too long or if his arthiritis is particually bad by either rodeoing his way to the arena doors or if i am on the ground aiming a timely bite or kick in my direction. He inspite of this is lovely to work with and we can do most the klaus hemfling lunge movements and has also done alot of clicker training groundwork. Undersaddle we can do most basic flatwork bridleless but arthiritis limits what work we can do. He will work nicely for me but i never truely feel like he is working with me and i do not blame him as i was not the best owner he could of had when i was younger. I have done the most natural dressage with a mimi who was basically ditched at our yard shes in her 20's and very very frightened she was the first horse teach me how to play, when i we work together its not training or schooling just fun, its nice not to have anyone expecting results from her at the end.
I am also riding 3 other horse at the moment but I am not as free with them to work as I would like. A 16.2 connemara cross thoroughbred who would be described by klaus hemfling as a half born one. A dressage horse who am aloud to ride in attempt by his owner to make him less shut off i just get on him most days let go of the reins and ask where he wants to go and finally a welsh section d mare who's owner only wants to hack but who has a very weak back so its my job to school her to help maintain a strong enough back for school work.
and thats me apologies for rambling advice for any of the horses i work with is very welcome I would love continue further down this road

Post subject: Re: Hi from U.K.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Catherine, welcome!! :)

Great that you have written an introduction and I am looking forward to reading more about you and your work with your horses (and to seeing pictures of course ;)).

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:17 pm 

Catherine, how lovely to have someone else from the UK :) Whereabouts are you?

I can see you will enjoy it here, I too look forward to hearing ore about your horses, and would love some pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:18 am 

Welcome Catherine,
there is a magical world here to discover :D
Colette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:03 pm 

Im from swindon which is south westish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 am 

Hi!

I know the difficulties of riding someone else's horse... I do it myself, luckily the owner let's me pretty much be. She has faith in me. (Which I had to earn the first 2 months, by then we trusted each other and she went on a holiday for 2 months leaving me with her horse :))
I'm in luck the owner is quite relaxed when it comes to what I want.
Every time I start something new (I tried almost everything just out of curiosity) she's thinking it does nothing, no harm but also no good. 'Till we show her she's wrong :)

So I know how it is, to have it not your horse, but start that bonding with them. I;ve been riding her for five years now. Most people around the stable forgot I'm 'only taking care of...'

My advice is to talk with the owner about what you want, why you want it and what you think is helpful about it :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:01 am 

Hi Catherine!! Great to have you here and yay for another memeber from the UK. Won't be long before we can ahve a maasive UK AND meet up! lol

And aall I can say is waffle away to your hearts content (I know I do at times) it's great to hear about how other people work with thier horses....oh and like Annie said...photos...we need photos! :yes: Yes...we are a very nosey bunch! ;)

One more thing....welcome to AND!! I'm sure you'll love it here! :applause:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:26 am 

Hi Catherine
Im from UK as well, Middlesex area, London.
Welcome on this site, Im only new as well only joined yesterday.
Hope to hear more about everything. :f:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:10 pm 

I'll hopefully put some photos up at the weekend, they're all on my camera.....not entirley sure where it is

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:06 am 

Hey Catherine and a big welcome to you!

I don't think you've got anything to be at all shy about in terms of your experience and where you are on your journey!

Bart sounds like an absolute pip. :)

Am looking forward to hearing lots more!

All the best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:53 pm 

Hi Catherine

A warm welcome here!

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Hi Catherine,

Welcome :D

and an AND meeting in the UK would be so great!! Just a short plane trip away :yes:

Kind regards

Bianca