The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Learning Curves
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:26 am 

Hi :kiss: like most of us I have been looking around this site for a while. This is my first time on a forum and not sure what to write. I got linked up while watching vids on youtube.

I live in Marlborough, New Zealand. We currently have 2 horses - Cappy a 9yr old TB steel grey gelding. We got him as a 4yr old for my son who decided he didn't like him because he was to ponsie and wouldn't jump. I loved him and we do showing, dressage and trail riding.

Blacky a 12yr old stationbred black mare. We bought her also for my son for PC etc. She turned out to be a great friend. I have now claimed her cause my son is doing enduranceand she is too heavy for the distance.Blacky has a story to tell of mistrust, abuse etc. She is the reason that got me searching for a better way to communicate with her to bring her out of her shell.

I am on a journey this year of trying to find a better way and taking time out. I am not traditional but me and my guys do like to do low key outings. I would like to find a link between both worlds. I do use a straight rubber bit for outings (regulations) but not in the paddock or arena. I am always told to use more contact but my guys hate it (so do I) so I don't. They round themselves up naturally.

I took their shoes off today. Not sure how its going to go! Had to put them on just after winter cause they wore their hooves out too much (They are always running around).

Guess i'll figure it out along the way, its all a learning curve. It would be great being able to discuss and learn new things.

Post subject: Re: Learning Curves
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Hi Dee, welcome! :)

Very interesting that you found us through youtube. Which video did you see there? The AND movies?

I am looking forward to reading more about your horses and what you are doing with them. :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:45 pm 

Hi Romy

It nice to meet you.

:yes: I think it was probably the AND videos. I started searching parrelli, clicker training and barefoot subjects.

I love my horses dearly and I was looking for a way of bringing Blacky out of her shell and learning another way. Blacky is a sweet kind mare that tries really hard not to put a foot wrong. But you can see in her eyes that shes afraid of her past and comes across as being shy.

Blacky has had a rough life. She was hill raised until she was 5yrs (starved, malnorished, wormy, etc), bought in wild then roughly borken in. She was onsold to someone else who also used to ear twitch her and ride her on a really short reins etc.

She was then onsold to a lovely lady who wanted to save her as you could see she was unhappy. We got offered her on lease cause they liked the way Jaime rode and we look after our horses. We had 10 at that stage (mostly rescues). Then we decided to buy her. Weve had her for 3 yrs now.

She responds really well to rewards and becomes inquisitive and I love it!
Cheers Dee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dee,

Welcome :D
Yeah another Blacky 'in tha house' :applause:
Fortunately that she found a good home!

Kind regards

Bianca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:16 pm 

Hi Dee,
nice to meet you. Sounds like you are drawn to help those who can't help themselves like so many here. I've rescued a lot of animals and there is no greater joy than to give a good home to give to an animal or a child in need. :cheers: :clap:
Birgit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:47 pm 

Hello Dee!!! A warm welcome from me!!! :f: I think you will like it here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:13 pm 

lol I do seem to have a collection of animals that needed homes. I also seem to support a lot of people that need help to :pray: . A lot of people say its not my responsibility - but who's is it? I just can't turn a blind eye.

I do like it here. Everyone seems to be really compassionate and supportive. I have so much to learn - can't wait!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:25 pm 

Here's some pictures of my lovely mare

Blacky and Jaime swimming with Oliver and Annie

Rabbit Island Endurance Galloping along the beach

Walking to finish line

Marlborough Show Hunter Serries

I'm having trouble sizing these sorry. Hope to sort it out soon. I Hope to get some on of my little man cappy too, and some up to date photos.

Last edited by dee on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:06 pm 

Hi

Welcome
I love the swimming photos! how exciting!