The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:54 am 

Thank you. I've put some winter pics up in my journal. Right now I'm jealous of everyone who has temperatures above freezing. :D :yes: :yes:
Birgit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:38 am 

Hi Birgit,

I just stumbled about all your posts in all kinds of topics - so I had to have a look in your introduction who this extremly active new member is ;)
Great to have you here! Your horse is beautiful and your riding (and your sweet daughters - I love that picture!!!) looks very relaxed!

As I'm just writing an article about the Appaloosa-Horse I just read somthing about the Palouse-Contry...

Warm regards from good old Germany!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:35 am 

Hi Franziska,
thanks for your encouraging words. We actually live very close to the Appaloosa Horse Club museum and have been there many times. My daughter wants to stop many times when we go shopping in the area. Appaloosa horses are developing so much as a breed, one of the Indian tribes here is crossbreeding with Akhal-Tekes, I believe to balance out the overly muscled influence from some Quarter Horse lines. Don't know what came of that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:39 am 

ooooh! That's exciting news that someone is trying to bring back the old qualities of the Appaloosas -- rangy and tough that's my Appaloosa!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:13 pm 

Hi Birgit, finally came to the source and found your introduction after being thoroughly intrigued by your posts over the last few days. What beauties the three of you are; you, your daughter and horse. Wow! :) I'm a homeschooler too.. and got tossed out of NHE finally, with all my posts still there.. they're probably still there. ;) Too many questions and things I wanted to TALK about.. hehehe. Homeschoolers tend to rebellion don't we?! Don't be fooled by Donald's seeming innocence.. he's another rebel in disguise. :D

:f: In answer to your music question, I've been experimenting with different kinds of music with my horses, after I was playing arouond with ring tones one day and realised that some of the more electronic sounding ones, many of my horses actually had an aversive reaction to. Harlequin LOVES Taiwanese folk songs played on a classical guitar and will come over to the window of the tackroom to listen and dream with his eyes shut whenever I play this CD for him. Sunrise prefers flamenco guitar, and is also partial to Bob Marley and Nina Simone. But she doesn't like Enya. All of them like Bach, but don't come up close to listen to it.. seems to be more like elevator music for them. Playing music and watching their reactions is fun!

:D Sue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:41 pm 

windhorsesue wrote:
Hi Birgit, finally came to the source and found your introduction after being thoroughly intrigued by your posts over the last few days. What beauties the three of you are; you, your daughter and horse. Wow! :) I'm a homeschooler too.. and got tossed out of NHE finally, with all my posts still there.. they're probably still there. ;) Too many questions and things I wanted to TALK about.. hehehe. Homeschoolers tend to rebellion don't we?! Don't be fooled by Donald's seeming innocence.. he's another rebel in disguise. :D

Moi? 8)

Sue wrote:

:f: In answer to your music question, I've been experimenting with different kinds of music with my horses, after I was playing arouond with ring tones one day and realised that some of the more electronic sounding ones, many of my horses actually had an aversive reaction to. Harlequin LOVES Taiwanese folk songs played on a classical guitar

I'm sure I would too. Now for the big question, how do they like instruments such as Erhu, Pipa, Guqin, Dizi, Guzheng, Yangqin?

My all time favorite, which I had the pleasure of hearing performed live by a full orchestra in Taipei in 1986, is still Galloping By the Great Wall. Now there is a piece of horse music. And if I remember correctly it too is folk music.

I find that I also like classical western music as played by that same orchestra with Chinese instruments. A heavenly marriage.

Sue wrote:

and will come over to the window of the tackroom to listen and dream with his eyes shut whenever I play this CD for him. Sunrise prefers flamenco guitar, and is also partial to Bob Marley and Nina Simone. But she doesn't like Enya. All of them like Bach, but don't come up close to listen to it.. seems to be more like elevator music for them. Playing music and watching their reactions is fun!

:D Sue

You've reminded me of why I just can't wait for this blasted weather to break and the snow to melt. I want to haul my portable CD player out where I can do some liberty work with Altea to music. I'm partial to classical guitar (as I happen to play it) and of course, given her heritage, both Flamenco and classical music of Spain and South America.

I could build a shelf and put the CD player out there for her now, but I'd rather isolate the music to just times we are playing together.

I'm glad this music thing came up.

Donald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:55 pm 

I'm glad I checked my intro again. Almost forgot about it. Sue, it's really funny, something in what you posted made me think you are a homeschooler :) :)
I've been thinking how homeschooling has affected my way way of teaching animals and the other way around. I'll follow it up a little in diary, same with the music.
Donald, I can't wait to get my CD player to the barn, or my guitar. There was an article in Western Horseman recently about a guy from our area, Wylie Gustafson, who is a musician and horseman, specializing in cutting horses I believe. I heard he's a really nice guy. I keep thinking I want to get in touch with him and find out what he knows about horses and their response to music.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:21 am 

Quote:
something in what you posted made me think you are a homeschooler
I've been thinking how homeschooling has affected my way way of teaching animals and the other way around.

Yeah... the subversive art of unschooling.. it's particularly pervasive! :green: :green: :green: I find that teaching the horses in this way is also very very similar to techniques I use for accelerated learning when teaching English as a second language.

:f: Donald, I love that, galloping by the great wall too. I'll have to send you a CD I've got of a classical guitarist that I love to go listen to playing out on the Danshuei wharf. See if Altea likes it... And now I have ANOTHER reason to come visit.. I've wanted to learn guitar "proper" for years and years ... and will one day. I've only ever got as far as being a pretty good strummer.. but Classical guitar... aaaah.. that's the dream in my blood!

Sue

I have not sought the horse of bits, bridles, saddles and shackles,

But the horse of the wind, the horse of freedom, the horse of the dream. [Robert Vavra]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:47 am 

Birgit wrote:
I'm glad I checked my intro again. Almost forgot about it. Sue, it's really funny, something in what you posted made me think you are a homeschooler :) :)
I've been thinking how homeschooling has affected my way way of teaching animals and the other way around. I'll follow it up a little in diary, same with the music.
Donald, I can't wait to get my CD player to the barn, or my guitar. There was an article in Western Horseman recently about a guy from our area, Wylie Gustafson, who is a musician and horseman, specializing in cutting horses I believe. I heard he's a really nice guy. I keep thinking I want to get in touch with him and find out what he knows about horses and their response to music.

Heard of him. Can't help but be curious.

Donald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:52 am 

windhorsesue wrote:
Quote:
something in what you posted made me think you are a homeschooler
I've been thinking how homeschooling has affected my way way of teaching animals and the other way around.

Yeah... the subversive art of unschooling.. it's particularly pervasive! :green: :green: :green: I find that teaching the horses in this way is also very very similar to techniques I use for accelerated learning when teaching English as a second language.

:f: Donald, I love that, galloping by the great wall too. I'll have to send you a CD I've got of a classical guitarist that I love to go listen to playing out on the Danshuei wharf. See if Altea likes it... And now I have ANOTHER reason to come visit.. I've wanted to learn guitar "proper" for years and years ... and will one day. I've only ever got as far as being a pretty good strummer.. but Classical guitar... aaaah.. that's the dream in my blood!

Sue

I'd love to have you visit. Doors open.

As for guitar, I probably shouldn't say "I am a classical guitarist," but rather that I was. My hands pretty much are over when it comes to this. Some arthritis or something that produces a lot of pain when I use my hands certain ways, and guitar is one of those.

I'm thinking this year is the year I have all my oldness problems addressed. Feet, eyes, hands.

Though I did manage today to walk about 3/4s of a mile with little damage to show for it. Maybe all this healthy living is paying off.

The hands part is annoying since mine have always been farm boy strong and still are, but the pain that comes with using them, yikes.

The outdoor area where I used to do a great deal of training had a sound system that I often used to play music to accompany my work. It seemed to effect us both, horse and rider.

For the better.

Donald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:00 am 

Do you know what the word "danshuei" means? If my source is correct, 'join together sounds.' Now isn't that fitting.

I wonder what the Mandarin for "chord," as in musical chord might be.
A joining together of sounds.

Donald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:43 am 

No.. sorry to disappoint.. Danshuei simply means "clear water"... Now, arthritis in your hands.. sounds like it's YOU who needs to visit ME... you know TCM is particularly effective for arthritis. Arthritis is almost not seen here.. not in any severe way...

Sue

But the horse of the wind, the horse of freedom, the horse of the dream. [Robert Vavra]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:11 pm 

windhorsesue wrote:
No.. sorry to disappoint.. Danshuei simply means "clear water"... Now, arthritis in your hands.. sounds like it's YOU who needs to visit ME... you know TCM is particularly effective for arthritis. Arthritis is almost not seen here.. not in any severe way...

Sue

My brain functioning isn't.

"TCM?"

Donald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:20 pm 

Let me guess, Transcendental Meditation?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:58 am 

Aaaaaaaaaargh! You guys!!! Traditional Chinese Medicine.. acupuncture and Chinese herbs and diet change are particularly effective for Arthritis. :D And it's FREE here on the national health scheme!!!! :D