The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am 

Hello, my name is Margaret.

I've just started getting into the natural horsemanship. I've started doing some of the Parelli horsemanship but I've also been learning from videos of Linda Tellington Jones (T-Touch) as well as John Lyons on working with horses on the ground. I use to show Dressage (low level) but when I injured my back a few years ago, I gave up horses and showing. When I was given the ok to ride again (fall 2007), I purchased a Friesian cross. I thought I wanted to get back into showing but realized that I really never enjoyed it when I did do it. Instead I decided to enjoy my horse's company and if I decide to ride, I ride..if don't want to ride, than I don't. I don't know if I'll get to the point of riding without a bridle (my hangup not the horse's), as I've always been taught you need a bridle when you ride a horse. I've tried riding her with just a halter on but but she respond to it like she would a bit. And so my re-education begins. :) I own one horse (Friesian/Percheron/QH cross) and two Belgian Shepherds (a gron and a terv).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:00 am 

Welcome Margaret!

I live in central Maine, just down the road from you <G>!!!

And I have a 'big' horse too! And Border Collies!!

We love photos and videos here, if you have them!!

Brenda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:03 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, Margaret!! :) :)

Oh, I would also love to see pictures - your horse sounds like such an interesting mix! I am looking forward to getting to know you and your horse better. :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:23 am 

Hello to you, Margaret, and welcome to AND.

From your description of your horses and your horse activities it appears you are going to find some interesting and useful things here.

And likely, you'll have fun too. I certainly do.

I hope you can post pictures, and maybe videos too?

Currently I am servant and hopefully one day friend to an Andalusian mare that is in foal, and due in the next couple of months. Building her a home. You can see her at my album listed below. The Altea album is about her. And that is her as my Avatar.

Donald Redux

If you are curious, you can see both my current and my historic photo and video albums at - (guest password is 'haumea')

http://photobucket.com/guestlogin?albumUrl=http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff51/donald_redux/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:55 pm 

Welcome Margaret, your horse sounds like a very interesting mix of breeds. Can't imagine what she would look like. Hope you put a picture on soon, I bet she is lovely though. I have only just joined as well and everyone is very friendly and helpful, and there is lots to learn. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:24 pm 

Wow, Thanks everyone. I will try to get some pictures uploaded today or tomorrow at the latest. I actually found out about the AND site through a Parelli Forum and had to check it out. I believe in broadening my horizons and my mare is teaching me that :D. I tried to upload some earlier but their too big so I have to go into them and edit them to make them smaller. I've read some of the topic (in the groundwork section) and found them very insightful. I'm looking forward to learning alot from everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Margaret :D !
Wow, I'm curious about your horse, what a wonderful cross :yes:

Kind regards

Bianca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:57 pm 

Hi Margaret

Welcome!
I have to follow the crowd: pictures please :D
you just make me curious towards your horse. He sounds so great.

Regards