The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:50 am 

Hi everybody!

AndreaO sent me the link to this forum a few weeks ago, just when there was this big rumour at NHE-Forum. Since now I only read here but now as Annette (we left NHE together) has introduced herself here I want to follow her example.
I already tried some of the lessons here and made my own experiences with it. It's absolutely wonderfull that all this information is given here so openly!!! After beeing at NHE you just can't believe it in the first moment. There is so much to read, that will keep me occupied evening after evening...
Also the climate and style of discussion is absolutaly wonderfull. Even if I don't agree with everything, I have the feeling that is no problem at all. We can learn so much from each other althoug (or because?) we go different ways and don't all believe in the same things). I was at NHE only about three month but I already felt some of the strange influence it has on oneself many of you describe here.

Okay, about me:
My name is Franziska, I'm 40 years old and live in the Black Forest in the South of Germany. I'm married and have two little girls (2 and 4 years old). I'm a journalist and write for a Horsemagazin.

My horse is called Filux, he is an 8 year old gelding. His breed is called "Schwarzwälder Fuchs" wich is a local breed of coldbloods. He came to me when he was 1,5 years old.
My husband also has a horse, Remo, 10 years old, also a "Schwarzwälder Fuchs". He came to us when he was 5 years old.

We keep our horses in a nearby farm (10 minutes walk). There they have there own open stable with paddock, where they stay at night and in the winter the whole day. In the summer during the day they are on pasture together with three other horses.

Before discovering NHE I did dressage, kind of Natural horsemanship (not Parelli) and trail rides with my husband. I'm into horses since about 30 years so I had time enough to try out all different styles,teachsers, methods...
Since August, I tried my best in doing nothing, with many ups and downs. at the moment I have the feeling I have to find my own way, reinvented some of the things I did before but there are also things I won't do any more. I really changed my point of view quite a lot and I'm happy to go on with this exiting journey.

So much for the moment, I'm looking forward to get to learn and make new experinces with you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome over here!

And yes, do disagree with what you read and post your own experiences - we can only learn more from that! :D

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:17 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome, Franziska!! :D

Great that you have joined us. That´s the nice thing here that we can actually disagree with what others are writing, so like Miriam said, please feel free to write your opinion whenever you want to. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your horses and reading more about your interaction with them.

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:50 pm 

Hi Franziska!!

I'm glad you have landed here -- I enjoyed your posts - and now I can continue.

Mouschi

(prairiebutterfly)
hope I'm not confusing - just wanted to include my name from the
other board - even though I was new there too -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:40 pm 

Good stuff...love it that you are here too......

Guess we need a challenge to see who can start their diaries first (but then again, you will probably win as I really need to get off this computer and see to my neglected family!!!!)

I think we will see more people soon.......just a feeling I have......

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:36 pm 

Welcome Franziska!

Franziska wrote:
Even if I don't agree with everything, I have the feeling that is no problem at all. We can learn so much from each other althoug (or because?) we go different ways and don't all believe in the same things).

Indeed. It is so beautiful to be able to exchange ones ideas and thoughts without being reprimanded or talked down at :D :D :D I do get so much inspiration.
I decided just now to try without any food rewards, for reasons that have nothing to do with the reasons that are given by NHE. And if I decide later to switch to food rewards after all, I know everybody will still be friendly to me here.

I am looking forward to read your diary here :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:39 pm 

A warm Welcome from me too!!! I'm glad that you are here! Annette told me you will come!

With Love,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:30 am 

Thank you very much for your warm welcome!
As I am a little bit "forum-tired" at the moment, I'll probably write not that much in the near future, but read all the worthfull and interesting information that is available here.

And for a first impression here are some pictures:

Filux:

Remo:

Filux and Remo:

Filux and me:

My husband with Remo:

Filux with my daughters:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:19 pm 

Hi

Welcome!!
You horses are gorgeous!!
Have fun

Regards

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Oh wow, they are so beautiful! :D And I can really imagine them doing natural dressage, collecting like huge power packages (haha, this doesn´t sound like a real word in English :wink:). What are you doing with them at the moment and what are you planning to do in the future?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:15 pm 

Hi Romy, good question, what am I going to do?

I don't know exactly at the moment, I'm kind of reorientating... I want to find a way between the pure and radical NHE approach and what I did before.
I never was a hard rider and always interested in alternative methods but I used bits and even spurs and was quite ambitious doing my dressage stuff sometimes and did not always listen to my horse. :oops:
My time at NHE really has changed my perspective and I see many things differently now. But also I don't believe in all things that were told at NHE and so I have to find my own way now - with all your help, I hope :) I surely won't use bits anymore and probably also no bridle at all. Let's see.

My experience in the last weeks was for example, that I can teach things to Filux very easily with food reward, but that it doesn't feel good for me. He becomes very eagerly and nervous and does all possible exercises to get one all the time. And I get the feeling he is only interested in the treats and not in me, and I would prefer to become interesting for him myself... :)

This afternoon I'll have some time with Filux and perhaps, if it feels o.k., I will sit on him the first time for many weeks and have a look what I can do there with my new ideas (no pressure, let the horse decide...).

Perhaps I should start a diary, although I planned to have a little forum break... :?:

See you all soon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Franziska,

Wooooww stunning horses!! :inlove:

Welcome :)

Kind regards

Bianca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:40 pm 

Welcome Franziska!

Lovely, lovely horses!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:35 am 

Hi Franziska, and welcome!

Your boys are spectacular. (And I love the husband head eating action!) 23

You may have already found the thread, but there is an interesting discussion going on using pressure, using treats, etc. with lots of really interesting thoughts and different opinions...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1808

And here's a very interesting thread on stimulus control when using treats:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=685

And here's a really interesting one on variable reinforcement:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1735

Anyway, welcome! 23

All the best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:08 pm 

welcome with your power horses..i like them..
we have also nearby a swartzwalder about 20km seen him ones.
he is still a real man 29 much show power hahahaa