The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Hello from Canada
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:01 pm 

Hello! My name's Kali.

I have 3 wonderful horses. My first horse, Atlas, is a half Arab (pinto) gelding. We used to take lessons and compete, but not anymore. Atlas has also developed an eye condition and is partially blind, but he is doing well. He's 16 now, and my best friend.

I also have Rosie, a Shetland/Connemara mare. She's lots of fun with a very 'strong' attitude (lol)...but that's okay, I love it that she's comfortable enough to act how she wants. I hope that doesn't sound like I let her get away with murder or anything :tongue: , I don't, but I let her...what's the right word...express (?) herself.

And in January I brought home a 5 month old PMU colt. He's a Belgian/QH. Quite scared/untouchable when he came. Now he's so much more confident. My first time 'starting from scratch' with a horse. He is doing very well and I'm very excited to keep working with him.

And a little about me...I'm a vegan, so I don't use leather. I've always hated bits. And I did not know there was a name for when you put a loose rope around a horse's neck and ride like that ( :) )! Anyway, I've always been very concerned about putting my horse's needs and wants before my own because he is gracious enough to let me on his back and listen to me so I owe him that. I don't like competitions, never did even when Atty and I were doing them. I don't even like saddles, I have a couple but I ride bareback or with a pad a lot. I'm interested in treeless saddles though. But also I don't want to offend anyone who disagrees with me and does something different! That's just how I think. My thinking has changed so much from when I first began, and it keeps changing as I learn more. Anyway, there's so much for me to learn and I feel like I've found a great resource here. So...hello! :) Looking forward to getting to know everyone and what you do with your horses. Thank you for reading.

ETA a fun pic of Jack and I (this was about a month ago?). Hope it's not too big, I'll fix it if it is: Image

Last edited by Kali on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:46 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, Kali!! :D

So great that you have joined us. I am looking forward to your contributions to our forum very much.

And don´t worry, you won´t offend anyone by just having a different opinion - it´s all about the way this opinion is voiced. :)

Warm Regards,
Romy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:59 am 

Welcome Kali!

One of the great gifts about this group and this conversation is that there is a deep belief that we are all each on our own paths -- we share ideas, challenges, triumphs, sorrows, joys, and silliness with each other, but no one ever says that someone else's opinion or path is wrong. How could we? It's not our path! :-)

So -- I, too, am delighted you're here and look forward to hearing more about you and your equine pals.

There are several people here who have Shetlands, and from what I read from them, they're all pretty convinced that Sheltands are going to take over the world... :twisted: :lol:

I don't think anyone here spends a lot of time worrying about letting our horses "get away with murder" :-) -- there's lots and lots of exploration and conversation about what each of our own expectations and boundaries are, but your goal of helpng Rosie to express herself is, I think, right on the mark with what much of AND is about.

Again, welcome!

Best,
Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:28 am 

WELCOME Kali!

I'm in Alberta!

I think Jack was lucky to have found you. You will have a blast starting him from scratch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:32 am 

Thank you for welcoming me guys! I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all. I've been on quite a few horse forums, and I love the 'atmosphere' here.

Yes, I think the Shetlands are plotting as we speak :lol: What adorable, quirky horses they are.

Karen, I'm in BC, so pretty close to you! We almost went to Alberta for the other Mane Event this year but didn't make it (did get to the one in BC though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:05 am 

I didn't make it to the Mane Event in Red Deer this year either. A friend of mine my be doing an exhibition there next year. If he does I will go for sure.

Nice to have another Canadian here! There are a few active...maybe a few more that just read here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:47 am 
Site Admin

Hi Kali,

Welcome!! :D

Kind regards

Bianca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Kali!

Warm regards,