The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:06 pm 

Akashe wrote:
WOW Donald, your mother actually built your home? You come from some amazing stock! No wonder! I'd say that's an impressive mother :wow: My imagination is congering up a picture, please tell us more.

I know. She was impressive. An artist -- I grew up painting murals with her on our living room walls. And on my own bedroom walls.

We had pianos, huge Chinese drums, giant quilting frames, a clothing design studio, all kinds of interesting things in our home. And she was, for most of the time, a single mom to me.

She was also a ship welder (WW II) a commercial photographer, and a great administrator. You don't think she really "built" that house without help, do you? She was good with saw and hammer but also good at directing others.

She did fashion shows (I remember packing trunksfulls of her designs) in Mexico City - the temporary fashion center of the world while Paris was occupied by the Nazis. Sold everything she took there.

Used to make me suits tailored like Saville Row. Such a proper little gentleman I looked, despite my own true wild little self.

And her friends ... whoeee. I remember being taken flying in an open cockpit plane, and on fast boatrides in highspeed boats, and going for a long trip in a gold ... really gold plated, with real gold that is ... open topped Cadillac.

It was only later as an adult that mom told me that the driver was Elmo Lincoln. The silent movie start and the first "Tarzan." Her boyfriend of the moment, it seems.

Mom was, to say the least, Bohemian. Our home was often full of people from all over the world. I was, when really little, often "parked" with our Chinese family while mom was off on her adventures and industries.

I spoke better Cantonese than English until I was three and we moved to Calistoga. Then I spent time hanging out with two men that had a cabin up the road, one french, a chef in San Francisco, and one Central American who I think was the son of a deposed dictator. They spoiled me rotten.

Even when they were gone for the week I could hang out on their patio under the grape vines and play Caruso 78's on their wind up standup Victrola. And listen to the classics such as Albert Ketelbey's "In a Persian Market."

I still love being alone with music, nature, animals, though I'm highly sociable with people. It's just that I learned to enjoy my own company so much back then. And never felt deprived.

I certainly ran wild around our cabin, into the woods, swinging from vines over the creek, and collecting Salamanders (Water Dogs we called them), out of the pools in the creek bed.

Akashe wrote:

Your rattlesnake story reminds me of collecting spiders in my grandmothers barn with my cousins. We had two jars full of the black creatures when we took them inside to show our moms. They didn't scream but they were a bit scary when they saw the red hour glass on the bellies of the critters.

:lol: :lol:

Akashe wrote:

It still amazes me that here in this vast land of the internet where I can make friends from across the globe, that I can also find friends right in my back yard!! Really, the same state amazes me. When I first started reading your posts I was happy you were on the west coast!

Calistoga is a very 'hot' tourist destination filled with private limos, with tinted windows, and the elite on the weekends. There are spas on every corner.

Not in my mind. In my mind it's still wild country were the Bohemian crowd went to swim naked in the creeks, and have all night parties around campfires.

I've a round burn about two inches across on the inside of my forearm where a creek bed rock used to encircle the fire blew up and a hunk went up my coat sleeve and got stuck there.

I was crying a little, and my mom told me that I was okay (she didn't know) and I could stop crying now (she thought I was just frightened), and I promptly stopped. Mom's know what's right, right?

So I just shook the piece of hot rock out and enjoyed the rest of the evening watching the crazy growups. Mom found the burn the next morning. She was mortified.

Akashe wrote:

Kelseyville is still a tiny spot, not even a real grocery store yet! The lake is still beautiful and full of deer and wildlife. I could see it if I cut or trimmed up a couple trees. It's an incredible spot and I feel so lucky to be here. The prices are still low for California, though. Maybe you'd want to look at that property again! :lol:

I can smell the heat and the dry grass, and the oak trees. Thanks for the invite. But ...

'Fraid not. I'm very much in love with both the rain forest (there go my neighbors just now up the road in front of my place I can see from my second floor office window, with their goats, to get their mail) and the high open country too just an hour or so drive away.

Akashe wrote:

I too have always loved this area of California and the Redwoods. I just planted a few because that's been my dream as well, to live in the Redwoods. The land is still so raw and feels free. We have a fair amount of land that's available for trails too.

I'm hoping to be able to trail ride with Linus. He has that Friesian trait of standing when scared. He's not the bolting kind, unlike Shelby who lives on her tiptoes! I haven't been able to explore all the country side yet. Does anyone camp out? Trail ride? I just thought how difficult this method could be for off the property activities.

Also been too busy building the arena and now the barn is going up. I'm sooo glad I'm not trying to do that all myself. This wasn't a horse property when I bought it so I've had and still have lots to do. I can't imagine trying to build a house myself! (sheesh, or a barn for that matter!) At 50 years old I'll leave that to our contractor. I will do the chicken coop though.

The hard part is that all the work leaves less time for the horses. I haven't been able to play with my kids for a few days now. One thing is Linus is much more respectful in the paddock while I'm cleaning, after our play that day. I expected he would be more in my face to go play! Amazing...

Sorry to ramble on so...

Pam

No no, if it's too much OT for some they simply don't have to read it.

I'm sorry you have gotten too old to build houses and barns.

I confess I've had to cut back to barns-only myself, given that on my last birthday I turned 73. Boy, this slowing down with age is sure tough. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You'll need a guest password to look. It's 'haumea' if you want a peek at the barn I'm building currently. Three stalls wide, 32 ft long, 12 feet wide, and built to hold up our heavy snows (5 ft deep last winter), with large posts and beams ... 4x6in for the posts, 4x8s for the beams.

Don't forget the password: haumea

The Altea Palacio

Built the forms, mixed and poured the concrete, and now finally have hired help to put up those beams and the rafters and roof. Kate says she won't let me climb around up there. Darn it.

I came here not long after a cancer surgery, so weak that I could only split one chunk of firewood or two then lean on the woodshed and rest for ten minutes. But we warmed all winter with what I managed to split.

Trust me, if you push yourself, you'll get stronger by the day.

Thanks for the memories your post brought up. Things I hadn't really thought about so intensely for many years.

And I was just told (admonished really) don't spend all your time with work. Stop for play with your horses.

And if you insist on being a drudge, well, okay, then you MUST stop and play with your horses, or you will be guilty of neglect. It's your DUTY!

:lol: :lol:

There, have I covered all the bases?

See, now you must go play with your horses.

Donald R. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:25 pm 

Donald, reading this, and having been reading your words for about six months now, I have a "you really need to" suggestion:

You really need to write a book!

After you get the barn done, in the rainy evenings in your beloved rain forest, there's that computer...

:-)

xoxo
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:07 am 

My wife says the same thing. I'll give it some thought.

Donald R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:25 am 

Hi Laurel,

Thank you :D for the support. I will at some point figure out how to get a quote to work! :lol: Some of the best stuff comes out of rambling... when others do it!

I read some of Romy's diary entries. And I was so warmed by them and awed. But you know what? The stuff she does is so out of the frame work of what I know in my reality that in my mind she lives back a hundred years! Even though I read it and believe it... she must be in some sleepy little hamlet where there aren't any cars or she's really in a time warp... I have to put her in the present. I wasn't even aware that I had done that until I read your post.

They must be able to do this and be successful because of the relationship, right? I keep thinking that the more I forget everything that I've ever learned about training and follow the guidelines here and then my horses lead, that it will bring us to a place where the mutual respect and confidence that we develop in each other will keep us safe and not infringe on anyone else's rights. Like staying off of someone else's property or obeying traffic laws...? Is there more to this? Is this the road to liberty in open spaces?

I'd love to go camping but how do I prepare for that? Do the horses become so loyal and obedient and dependable because of the relationship? Or is it something more as well?

I have to go read some more of Romy's and get started on Sue's!! I am so lucky to have role models like them!!

Aren't the Redwoods something else!? The forest is so dense feeling without all the weight of undergrowth, but the trees seem to hear you, and hug you, and you can breathe them in, and hear them sleep. They are so friendly! IMO they are one of the wonders of the world. Pair that with a trip to the beach to watch the power of the waves. I'm guaranteed to sleep well that night because I've been loved by the earth.

We had a placer claim just outside of Yosemite when I was a kid growing up. We camped there every weekend for years. I remember taking baths in huge granite pools that had been carved out of the rock. And washing my hair in the waterfalls that ran from one pool down to the next. And real Indians walking past the cabin we stayed in when we arrived too late on a Friday night!

I wonder if I can plant a redwood grove and get the same effect. I think I'm gonna try and find out.

Hehe it's fun to ramble and reminisce! Your turn to tell us something about growing up where you did, Laurel.(or anyone!)

Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:53 am 

Hi Donald,

You have lead a most interesting life Wasserläufer. I whole heartedly agree that you should write a book. Your a great story teller and, wow, the stories you have to tell! Fascinating childhood!

I'm fading fast here so will have to finish this in another post tomorrow.

Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:37 pm 

That has got to be the most unusual parent story I've heard so far. I grew up with a guy who's mom went back to school and got her doctorate, I forget in what. They traveled abroad and went to the NON touristy countries and places like Turkey and Afghanistan. Some of the stories, the plain guts and bravery of a woman at that time in history going to the places she (single mom, 3 little boys)took them to...

Now I hear about your mom which would have set the clock back to an even more difficult time for women to get away with that. That's high adventure IMO. I'm fairly brave and don't much care what people think. I just am astounded by the guts of your mom! It sounds like she was on this wild adventure her whole life. At this time in our country, as I'm sure you know, she would have had difficulty buying a house! Banks wouldn't deal with JUST a woman. I'm 50 and MY mom had that problem when I was 1-2yrs. Of course it sounds like your mom may not have had to have a loan from a bank either.

High Fashion in Mexico! Dating Tarzan! Wild parties in Calistoga! I wanna go.

I was just thinking of my grandmother and some of the things she told me. I was impressed with the fact that she wasn't stiff and conforming either. She wouldn't talk like that in front of my aunt the school teacher. Running off from a husband with a small child in tow, family not letting her come home, divorce and remarriage, affairs later in life.

It must have been the 20's huh? Or the tail end that were wild and more free, like the 60's? As history repeats it must cycle too; wild and crazy free to the comfort of rules and structure.

Wow, I just can't imagine a woman doing all these things with a child as well. I got all protective and didn't have enough arms to keep the world away from my kids and me still be in it! What I mean to say is that I was too scared!

More stories Donald, please? I'll curl up in front of the fire place and read them. :lol:

Gotta go feed,
Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:21 pm 

Okay, yesterday the family all arrived so the party was on! Today I can recoup and tomorrow hope to get back to a routine. I get exhausted more than normal people and feel like a wuss when I tell my health problems but they are there so...even if they can't figure out what the problem really is! I've been told I have fibromyalgia and was happy to hear it only because it proved to others that I wasn't nuts. But since then I'm not in total agreement with that and neither is the new Doc.

I have constant pain and if I don't rest when tired will have terrible flare ups. I really believe in what you said though Donald, about pushing and doing a bit more so that you can continue to do a bit more. And I make a choice to be happy each day. The mental aspect helps too. Exercise is so important to happiness and a healthy body.

My new Doc has mentioned the mood thing again.

:roll: The fact is I'm happy in my life and would stay all day with the horses or working on the land doing what ever, if I could. It's my dream to be here so at least I know it's not all in my head. I have faith that what ever it is will one day be faught back into a dark hole never to return again. Until then I just have to be careful with this body. That feeling of being able to chop a hunk of wood into a size you can put in the fireplace is so satisfying! So I do a very little bit of that too. Okay that's out of the way! :lol: I hate bringing it up but it helps to explain some days AND for me to accept the limits too.

Now for the drudge part! I had to laugh, you really are a joy Donald. I put the horses out in the arena so they could blow off some steam. My little cousins wanted to ride and the big cousins too! So that was on the agenda for the day. We were also pouring the concrete for the barn yesterday so it was a really fun party. Well the trucks and pumps were alarming for Shelby so she had herself worked up in a sweaty lather. I turned the sprinkler on so she could get cooled off and rinse off and she does love to play in the water...

The day was getting away from us and when I checked on the babies, Shelby looked glistening wet again. I was worried right away so I ran over to get a closer look. Her upper body, or neck head and shoulders were very wet and I got scared. I ran my hands over her and she was soo cold to the touch. Stupid me, I'm worried now how the heck she got so cold! Duh, the sprinkler! She never stopped playing! She'd been playing in that water for hours. Silly girl has a swollen leg today from an old injury. (It always pops up when she has too much fun on her own. She doesn't know when to stop!)

I was very proud of her though. I have been playing with Linus, and her and I used to play with in the arena after riding but she's kinda been a stick in the mud lately. Looking at us both from down her nose...She wasn't doing that yesterday! WooHoo she got her play back on! I'll be starting that journal/diary tomorrow. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I'm off to wrap the leg for protection and comfort. I'd be more upset about it if she hadn't had soo much fun yesterday. Her eyes were just wide with excitement instead of all that nervous she had when I put her in the arena. Life is good. I'll try to get some pics up when I get back inside. :cheers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:11 pm 

Akashe wrote:
She wasn't doing that yesterday! WooHoo she got her play back on! I'll be starting that journal/diary tomorrow. :lol: :lol:

That sounds fantastic! Your love for your horses really shines through. I'm looking forward to your diary. :D

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

Post subject: Donald MUST Know
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:12 pm 

I want so much to follow what you are doing as it happens. Please post some pics or vids too if you can so we can see the progress of your stable/barn and what is going on with your horses, including playing in the sprinkler.

Here I am freezing off portions of my anatomy :lol: and your horse is playing in the water. Too much.

I'm watching the sun pass by lower and lower in the southern sky. I guess it's right over you.

That part I do miss about California.

Donald R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Pam,

Welcome :D
Great to read your experiences!

Kind regards

Bianca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:06 pm 

Thank you, Bianca :D

It's a wonderful place to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:10 am 

Hello Pam, and welcome.

Sorry it's a belated welcome, though! I really would like to hear how things progress with you. I have some physical issues that get between me and my ambitions on a regular basis, and I absolutely agree with what you about mood being crucial to success!

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:38 pm 

Wow! South Africa! Thank you for the welcome, Glen. I be the country is beautiful there.

I have to apologize for not getting this up sooner. I thought I had made several posts but they didn't go up. I have been having trouble with my internet connection and it seems I sit and write and then post to 'make believe cyberspace' Kinda annoying as I wonder what I said wrong when I get no replies!! :roll:

Hope it works this time!! I put photos in the photobucket, like Donald.

http://s498.photobucket.com/albums/rr342/LadyAkashe/

I've yet to learn how to organize but there's not all that much there yet either.

It's been raining (in buckets)here for 5 days!! Donald you traded weather with me? Or something... !! No kidding non stop for 5 days. I feel like I'm back in Tacoma, Washington.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:47 pm 

The weather, Pam.

Apparently it's over for you and you sent it back. I wish I could thank you. :wink: :lol: :lol:

But it slows down my Altea barn-shelter-Palacio construction.

I'm enjoying your album, and especially admire Shelby. Looks well conditioned and fit.

Donald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:52 am 

WOW! Lovely pictures in your album - I like the expression both your horses have. Shelby looks wise and tolerant, and Linus looks like mischief in a fur coat!

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon