The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:54 pm 

My name is Jen Digate and I live in Milwaukee/Wisconsin/US.

My horse is a 4 year old Friesian cross who has never been taught by anyone but me. He lived in a large pasture until the age of 18 months and since then has lived with me. He is the horse I dreamed about since childhood, bold, playful, beautiful and intelligent.

In anticipation of buying him I took regular lessons with a classical dressage trainer, Lisa Morris, for a few years, who is one of the kindest, most understanding teacher I have ever had. She does use bits on her horses but they are never forced, her students are never berated and she welcomes questions with open arms because she is truly confident in her knowledge. I do not use bits, but I still go to Lisa for firm understanding of exercises.

I am a clicker trainer in my everyday life - I am a dog behavior consultant and am soon to be opening "companion horse training" to promote positive, bitless horse training that focuses on healthy relationship and knowledge of ethology.

I was a school member of the NHE site, but I found the environment oppressive and false. It felt to me like "training" was a four letter word and that everything was supposed to happen by spontaneous magic. Good training IS magic as far as I'm concerned. I often edited what Dragon and I worked on or was afraid to say I sat on him for 3 minutes to de-sensitize him to the idea that he cannot visually see me on his back. I want to speak openly with like minded positive horse people so we can truly learn.

I was very excited to find this site, and have huge respect already for so many of the wise women here - especially Karen and Miriam. I am honored to be on this journey with you. Photos to come soon!
Jen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:29 pm 

Hello Jen!

I was from NHE too but left the school for very similar and more added on reasons as yours. But I love your big boy and did enjoy reading about what you guys did. Not sure if you ever recieved my PM or not but it is good to see you.

I agree with you that good training is magic and we should not be somewhere we we have to edit what we do with our horses in fear of being jumped on. Well look forward to hearing more from you in the future!

Take care,
Eileen Darland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:51 pm 

Hi Jen,

I'm really excited to see you here! I've always enjoyed your posts and pics on the NHE forum.

Love your quote from "Le Petit Prince" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Jen - and wow, what a beautiful horse Dragon is! :shock: :D

We have a lot of Frisians in the Netherlands as you probably know, and I've always thought it sad that they are only 'allowed' in black. Now I see you're Dragon, I'm even more convinced that every color should be accepted. What a magnificent horse! I'd love to see a chestnut Frisian once too.

Thanks for coming here - and sharing all your knowledge on Training with a big T. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:36 pm 

HI JEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:44 pm 

Besides being TOTALLY excited that you're here, I am so looking forward to seeing more photos of the horse that gives me shivers. I love your Dragon Boy so much! I missed your wonderful writing and musing when your diary was moved to the school side on NHE...so it will be wonderful to read about your training and thoughts once again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:59 pm 

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I can't wait to post photos and hopefully video too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi and Welcome Jen,

I do not believe we've 'met'.
I was long time gone from the NHE forum and only a short while back there.

Wow, do I love your horse!

Warm regards,

Josepha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:54 am 

Hi Jen,

I was on NHE too but on the public side only so I did not get a chance to read your diary.

I look forward to it. Your horse is SO SO gorgeous.

Looking forward to learn more from you and seeing more pictures. I do clicker training to.