The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:42 pm 

I was told by Katie Hufton about this forum. She was talking about the 'Chase the Tiger' method, and I saw a few videos. I have a Left Brained Introvert Paint horse gelding that is dominant and is very good at learning new tricks especially when it comes to pawing things. I really like the idea of "Natural Dressage" and would love to learn more about dressage first naturally, instead of through average trainers that put specialization before foundation. I am determined to learn more about the "Chase the Tiger" technique because through it I believe we both together willingly can accomplish great things.
My horse is not a 'dressage' horse but I believe any horse can benefit from performing dressage. He is an uphill horse that uses his hindquarters and naturally carries himself uphill, he has a beautiful trot and a flowing rocking horse canter. Now that we are in a higher level of horsemanship our relationship has blossomed and he will willingly do things for me, which makes tasks and life a lot easier and enjoyable. I have his respect, he has great impulsion and has natural flexion. Therefore he is naturally collected, which will make dressage a great persuit along with other disciplines.

Please visit my website at http://mariahpnhelms.blogspot.com/ for more information about me and what I do.

Savvy ON!
m

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:28 pm 

Hi Mariah!

Welcome!

I just took a look at your website -- it's beautiful and you're obviously doing great stuff with your horses! Loved your blog entry about undemanding time; that was just lovely.

I think there are a fair number of people here who have used (and some who still use) a number of Parelli methods -- you'll find, I expect, some conversation about pressure vs. rewards based training and how people have found, in their own understanding and experience, how Parelli has worked that. You may not agree with everything! :-)

But, one of the amazingly cool things about this forum is that people are, like you, excited about learning -- about, with, and from each other and our horses, and that no one here has decided that there is one way to do anything. So we're all learning all the time and no one feels like they've cornered the market on "the" way.

For me, this forum has been a life line -- a group of the nicest people I've met anywhere, (and truly the kindest group I've ever come across in the horse world!) with perspectives coming from first time horse owners to longtime pro trainers and everything in between, from all over the world. Very open, very curious, very thoughtful, very supportive.

And I think you'll find many of the people here are approaching dressage as you are -- as a way to build strength, flexibility, confidence, and our horses' abilities to be "in" their bodies.

I think you'll have both lots to learn from and lots to add to the conversation!

Glad you're here.

All the best,
Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:06 am 

Mariah! I am so glad you decided to give this place a look!

I know you'll get tons of insight and new ways of viewing things. :)

Best of luck and I can not WAIT to see 'Fabio' Chase the Tiger! ;D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:41 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Mariah!! :D

Warm Regards,
Romy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:18 am 

Welcome to AND Mariah.

I'm sure you'll find lots of interesting things to try here....and of very helpful, open minded people too...makes the journey a whole lot easier. Enjoy! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:01 am 

Hi Mariah

I hope you will find lot of interisting things to continue with your horse.
I toke a look at your site, lovely horse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:56 pm 

Welcome, Mariah! Yippee, another new friend!

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:32 pm 

Thank you for all of your replies, I look forward to getting to know you all and getting to learn with you.

Where can I find more information on the chase the tiger method?

Best wishes and always, Keep it Natural!

Mariah

Parelli L3 Student

http://www.mariahpnhelms.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

Here is the link to a sticky from the groundwork section: Chase the tiger

Warm Regards,
Romy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:21 pm 

Thanks! I will start on it today. How long does it normaly take to teach this? I have a very food motivated horse and believe if food is involved he will have no problem learning! :lol:

Savvy ON!

Mariah

Parelli L3 Student

http://www.mariahpnhelms.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mariah,

Welcome!

Kind regards

Bianca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Parellifuture5*instructor wrote:
How long does it normaly take to teach this?

Oh, that depends so much on the horse... My Summy for example got it within a few minutes that the tiger was something that can be chased. Titum on the contrary who is not as self-confident as Summy understood the touching rather quickly, but he needed several weeks until he finally ran after it in an energetic way and actually chased it. But I guess that it doesn´t only depend on the horse´s personality, but also on his learning experience. It might be harder with a horse who has been trained to be "safe" and not to care for any potentially frightening objects or with a horse who has only been motivated by pressure and the release of it. And it can be pretty easy with a horse who has been trained with positive rather than negative reinforcement and knows that becoming active by himself is what gets him the reward.

Good luck!! :D And please tell us how it worked for you and your horse.