The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:59 pm 

Hello Vanessa! Welcome!
And you are absolutely right, your boys are gorgeous :wink:

our introduction with photos: http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/viewtopic.php?t=744

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:37 pm 

Thanks so much, Joli and Tlove :) (and how rude of me not to have replied before :oops: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:15 pm 

I brought the new horse home on Sunday :D He didn't come from far away, so I lead him. It was a bit more exciting than I had anticipated; he hadn't left his quiet paddock for months, there was busy traffic and of course, we have not got much of a relationship yet.

He travelled almost the whole way in his trackside "passage" but stuck so close to me I was in danger of being squashed more than once :roll: (I've heard this described as "the velcro effect" and it seems very apt :lol: ).

Anyway, we got to my paddocks safely, and I turned him out immediately with Dante and Orlando. After a couple of sniffs and squeals, they galloped off, the new boy tailing, of course, though apparently he is very fast (he has had about 50 starts racing, and won a fair amount of money. But he is amazingly sunny and vibrant, not damaged the way so many OTTBs seem to be.) They all looked marvellous, only I failed miserably to catch any good shots :x It was easier when they stopped to drink, and roll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm 

Oh, Vanessa, these are wonderful!

I love how it tracks through how they're dealing with one another...it's a horse party -- like a little kid's party...

Everybody runs around really fast, then they eat, then they get crabby, then they eat some more, and then everyone has to take a nap!

Fabulous.

:-)

Best,
Leigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:47 pm 

nice to see the newcomer :)
looking forward to get introduced by you to him in october !
take care :)

www.equinebehaviour.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Your pics show horselife at it's best. What a great idea to make photo's of that moment! We forgot to when we brought SJors over for the first time, ten years ago... :oops: :roll:

THanks for placing them over here - and welcome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:43 am 

@ Leigh, I love your children's party analogy, only I did think when they were all around the trough it was like they were having a beer :lol: but i guess that's just the way my own thoughts run 8)

@ Donald, I'm going to be pestering you for advice about him in the meantime, you know :twisted:

@ Miriam, Thank you! i actually wrote CAMERA on my hand the day I brought the new horse home so I wouldn't forget :) But it wouldn't have occured to me to take so many pictures before this forum (and NHE)... it is wonderful how much we can learn from photos and videos. I love seeing other people's images...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:38 pm 

Vanessa - how great photos!!!

Looks like you have such a great life with your horses, wish I could come and see them all (and you fo course).... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:07 pm 

Kirsti, you and your family are welcome any time :D

Yes I'm lucky with the paddocks I keep my horses, they're nice and I don't have to share them. Only problem is, they're a 25-minute drive away, so I spend a lot of time in the car each day, and it's a nightmare if there is something wrong with one of them... I really envy you being able to have your ponies in the garden... (and the kitchen! I love that picture! :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:12 pm 

Vanessa wrote:

Quote:
@ Leigh, I love your children's party analogy, only I did think when they were all around the trough it was like they were having a beer but i guess that's just the way my own thoughts run

Teehee!

I'd just come from a young friend's graduation from preschool party and was struck by how much it looked like the dynamic there...from manic to conked out!

But on another day, it would probably have looked to me like they were bellying up to the bar and then crashing on each others' couches...

:-)

Best,
Leigh