The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:43 am 
Site Admin

You can just approach it like you do other clickertraining exercises: ask lightly with the cordeo for the right movement, and reward as soon as your horse shows a reaction that looks like what you wanted. Then you start to ask a bit more before you reward, etc.

Flexing the poll is the ramener, in Dutch it's called 'aan de teugel staan', being on the bit. So the poll (nek) becomes the highest point and the horse lets his head drop so that the nose is close to the vertical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:42 pm 

And when you let the cordeo touch the left side of the horse so he would turn his head to the right, does the flexion to the right needs to be total or just looking to the right, like "stelling naar rechts".

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

The thing is that the cordeo works the same as a rein would have worked: you can ask for a little flexion to the right, for example by squeezing it one time, and you can also ask for more by just continuing squeezing when the horse is already flexed in order to ask for more bending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:23 pm 

Miriam wrote:
But when you're then faced with a horse that's free, you suddenly don't know what to do anymore, because you can't convince him that your way is better than his and that he's the one who should comply.

Wow, I know this feeling.. I was practising PNH and I felt something like that but I didn't know how to say it!! What an epiphany! :cheers:

Quote:
These horses know what they're worth, and they see all our flaws into the smallest details. They know that we are totally blind, know absolutely nothing about ourselves and the rest of the world, that we have very limited powers of compassion and that when we would be stripped of all the means of forcing another, we are totally helpless. They know that we would feel so humble if we could really see the creature that's in front of our eyes - instead of the stigma 'Oh, she's so lazy, but when you show her who's the boss at the start of the training she'll be okay'. So that's where this AND training system starts. Being humble.

I was reading it with my mouth open.
Fantastic!!
Miriam, you inspired me to think :D
I like imagining when horse is talking to the other about us ;)
Imagine, for example:
Pola is galloping on the pasture to her buddies:
- Wooow! What a progress! Guess what I taught my human today!
- What, Pola! Tell us!!
- Look, the girl gives me a piece of carrot when I run to her. Finally, after 3 sessions spent with her she realized what I am asking for!!

Or conversation Bajer and Celna (they are horses from my first stable ;) )
C: Oh, I have just came back from the ride.
B: How was it?
C: Well... Something is wrong. Human was tapping me with a whip, it wasn't scary or painful but it annoyed me.
B: Hmm.. Your human is simply doing undesirable behaviour. You must tell him, that this is behaviour you aren't asking for.
C: But how? I know, I can do it through negative reinforcement. Maybe I should buck, when he is doing something like that.
B: Yes, you can. But be careful first. People are a very aggressive breed and they can suprise you by f.e. tapping stronglier. In Bajerlli Natural Manhorseship we use negative consequences, but you can also do it in a AUP way. In Art of Understanding People we use positive reinforcement.
C: For example?
B: Oh, I don't know.. It's your human, and YOU know him the best. But people like when we are stepping our hindlegs under the body. I know that your human has got a really hard character. People like to work.. But try first to encourage your human to play! I know, it's hard to achieve.. People learn SO long.. Sometimes they can't really understand what we are talking to them :roll:
C: True.. Ok, I'll try to do it next time.

Well, some of my thoughts :lol:

Sorry for offtopic :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:23 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com