The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Stomping does make it more difficult to train the Spanish walk, but it also puts a lot of strain on the front hooves, something I noticed when Blacky was a stomper... :wink:

Training the standing on a pedestal first won't harm the Spanish walk either. It's not really necessary as the Spanish walk in itself stretches the shoulders already, but if you have a frontleg that just won't come high enough, you can stretch this shoulder by asking the horse to place a frontleg on a (first) small pedestal, and over time make that pedestal higher so that his muscles are stretched further.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:08 pm 

[quote="Miriam]* Spanish walk: The horse stretches the frontleg forwards in every step he takes[/quote]

And its important to remember that the horse is suppose to move it's legs as the same way as the do in trot, or else it may harm the horses back..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:27 pm 

Sofie,

Can you explain a bit further? Do you mean the horse needs to diagonalize?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:50 pm 

Whenever I see Spanish Walk, the hind diagonal trails (or leads) the front lifted leg...so it is a walking, or four beat gait. I have not seen Spanish Walk done in a two beat gait.

Last edited by Karen on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:54 pm 

Same observation on my part too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:57 pm 

Sorry...edited my last post to make more sense. I have trouble seeing gaits (:roll: ...but every youtube video I see of horses doing Spanish Walk, are all four beat gaits. I can see how it could hurt the horses back...but if you are letting the horse figure it out slowly without force, they are less likely to do any damage to themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:50 am 

Karen wrote:
Whenever I see Spanish Walk, the hind diagonal trails (or leads) the front lifted leg...so it is a walking, or four beat gait. I have not seen Spanish Walk done in a two beat gait.

Limited by my english agein(Sorry)I'll try to explain it:
As you say, it's a four beat gait, but they move their legs as in trot, but if you see my last video, you'll se the improvment from my first film. At the last one it's almost correct, but in the first the beat is not correct. I'm working on getting the spanish walk in a two beat gait. Have a look at this vid, it's fantastic:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iiS-GciTz5E

http://LavaSofie.hesteblogg.no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:58 am 

Karen wrote:
I can see how it could hurt the horses back...but if you are letting the horse figure it out slowly without force, they are less likely to do any damage to themselves.

that's true, but often the horses I work with gets very exited and really want's to pleace me, and they forget thers backlegs. I don't think it hurts, but it's not healthy. But I do agree with you, but since it's suppose to be a discripsion of the spansish walk, it should discribe how it's correctly done? 'cos if the horse dont move it backlegs, then it's not spanish walk either. Than it's more like the dog trick "give me the pow". But it's a start to the spanish walk, but not acually spanish walk. Hope you understand :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:59 am 

Madeleine Balcer wrote:
Sofie,

Can you explain a bit further? Do you mean the horse needs to diagonalize?

sorry, did'nt see this post! But yes, thats exately what I mean, just couldnt fint the word :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:02 pm 

The video is great and in my opinion it shows first the passage then the Spanish trot, not the Spanish walk.

This weekend we had a clinic from a great French rider who studied 5 years in Portugal.

He explained the progression in teaching these movements

1st: you teach the jambette
2nd: the Spanish walk
Then as you trot you ask for a jambette to get the horse to have a suspension time at the trot that will eventually lead to passage
From the passage you teach the Spanish trot by asking for more amplitude in the front legs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Sofie&Katla wrote:
I'm working on getting the spanish walk in a two beat gait. Have a look at this vid, it's fantastic:

The Spanish walk really is supposed to be a four-beat walk, so it shouldn't become two-beat like in trot. It does get a bit more diagonalized 8) because the frontlegs stay longer in the air, so the hindleg will move more diagonal along too, but it should stay four-beat - with actively understepping hindlegs of course, because you are totally right that especially horses who start doing this exercise tend to leave their hindlegs at the back while walking forwards with the frontlegs. ;)

However, 8) if the horse does do a two-beat move with outstretched frontlegs like in the video, that's not wrong either, but it simply is another exercise: a Spanish trot (with more or less upwards jumping). The horse on the video does a really great Spanish trot too, I won't expect Blacky or Sjors to do it that expressive and correct ever.. :shock: 8)

If I were you, I wouldn't try to delete the real four-beat Spanish walk, but instead also teach your horse the two-beat Spanish trot. That way you have two healthy exercises instead of one! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:52 pm 

Miriam wrote:
Sofie&Katla wrote:
I'm working on getting the spanish walk in a two beat gait. Have a look at this vid, it's fantastic:

The Spanish walk really is supposed to be a four-beat walk, so it shouldn't become two-beat like in trot. It does get a bit more diagonalized 8) because the frontlegs stay longer in the air, so the hindleg will move more diagonal along too, but it should stay four-beat - with actively understepping hindlegs of course, because you are totally right that especially horses who start doing this exercise tend to leave their hindlegs at the back while walking forwards with the frontlegs. ;)

However, 8) if the horse does do a two-beat move with outstretched frontlegs like in the video, that's not wrong either, but it simply is another exercise: a Spanish trot (with more or less upwards jumping). The horse on the video does a really great Spanish trot too, I won't expect Blacky or Sjors to do it that expressive and correct ever.. :shock: 8)

If I were you, I wouldn't try to delete the real four-beat Spanish walk, but instead also teach your horse the two-beat Spanish trot. That way you have two healthy exercises instead of one! :wink:

I'm not planning on delete the four-beat spanish walk, but I'm trying to learn her the spanish trot. I know that if it's two beat, then it's trot, but it was just that one person over tolt me that she never seen it done with two beat. Have a look at my vid( http://youtube.com/watch?v=cclS7HVRPR4 ). Here you can see her spanish walk, and us working on the spanish trot. Like I sad in my presentasion; My english writing isnt that good, so thats why I'm not that good at explaning. Yet;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:58 pm 

This is a great video. You two seems to have so much fun otgether.

You have the Spanish walk quite weel nailed down. He is pushing from his back legs., They are not dragging.

Very inspiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:50 pm 

Hi,

I am a newbee at trick training. I have started training Jackson to do tricks just this year. Here is a link to a video of him doing the Spanish Walk.
http://video.xanga.com/ivyschex/48091873733/video.html

Please let me know how I can improve it. I am working to get him more collected.

Thanks,

Ivy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:14 pm 

Hi Ivy,

Jackson is very relaxed and balanced when you're asking him to do things. This is really nice to see. Also bitless...wonderful!

You have a really great Spanish walk. Improvement comes slowly, over time, through building the strength in the haunches, and gentel stretching exercises to help limber the shoulders.

Collection is built also over time, and Jackson is still young, so don't rush it.

Oh, and what we do here might look like trick training, but it's not :wink:

We follow the concepts of classical dressage, without bits or spurs and precious little pressure, for the mental and physical well being of the horse. The horse comes first, always. AND is a philosphy.

We learn from the techniques of the old masters, but in a more humanitarian way, where the well being of the horse is considered before all.

All that said, you can being to teach Jackson collection and stretching exercises by wandering through the groundwork stickies, learning and applying what you learn there.

All the exercises are interconnected and they all build strength and ability in the horse.

So what I'm saying is, that Jackson is doing great for his strength level. If you can practice other things (mostly in hand) like ramener at liberty, from a pose into movement, lateral work in hand (great for building strengh and extension), Goat On a Mountain, bowing, and placing one foot on a pedestal (then lowering the head), all at the horse's own pace, then Jackson will continue to grow in strength and continue to enjoy is time with you.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next