The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:26 pm 

I thought there was an official GOTM sticky, but I couldn't find it for some reason. If there is, feel free to move this post there! :)

I came upon another GOTM technique on one of the horse email lists I'm subscribed to. What you do, is lead the horse up to a low barrier (like a barrel on its side). Then, simply lure the horse's head (or use a target) over the barrel and down and as far out as it'll go. The horse will step up with his hind legs to compensate, and at that moment click. Continue luring his head out and clicking for hind leg movement (even putting a voice cue on it) until he won't move his hind legs any farther. (At that point, you can see how far he is physically capable of doing GOTM, if one leg is consistently taking less weight, etc.)

This worked AMAZINGLY well. As many of you know, Caspian and I have simply never been able to get GOTM. Before AND I tried to teach it with pressure (totally didn't work). In AND, I continued trying to teach it... and it still didn't work. He'd get stressed and would never understand and got very confused and thought I wanted hind leg jambette and just hated it. However, with this technique, the very first time, within just a few minutes his hind feet were probably within about 18 inches of his front feet. The second session (after my ride) went much faster and within almost no time at all his back feet were maybe a foot from the front!? And he stood like that, quite content. Magic!! :D 8)

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:39 am 

This is the same magical way that Sue's horse taught herself...over a low ditch, while trying to reeeeeeaaaaach the rice on the other side! Did you see the video?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:42 am 

:D Yeah! As an update on that, we're now able to get a "half" goat with just a ground pole as a restriction. :) That is.. we've got as far as her hind feet coming in half way to her fronts. I'm happy with that at the mo.. Any more than that and she just moves her fronts because it's easier. :f:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:28 am 

Karen wrote:
This is the same magical way that Sue's horse taught herself...over a low ditch, while trying to reeeeeeaaaaach the rice on the other side! Did you see the video?

Oh, that's right, I did see that! But of course, I guess I just thought "direct line": I don't have a ditch; I need ditch to do GOTM; therefore, I cannot do GOTM. :D :D I'm so glad to hear that it's still working for you, Sue!

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

Post subject: Re: 2: Mountain goat
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:23 am 

i found a really fantastic link to pedistal that i think will help me working on goat on the mountain. i am posting it here so i can find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCJgk5dL0dM

how beautiful it is!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:07 pm 

Thanks for posting Jessie. I will try this as soon as my hubby makes me a pedestal.
Jocelyne :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:25 am 

hi Jocelyne, ooohhh, i am so jealouse. a pedistal!! i use the wood pile or tree stumps or anything that we can climb onto. but i have not got anything that would be suitable for this. do you have a design plan, or do you know where to get one? i will have to do a lot of sucking up to some mates, but i might be able to geyt them to make me one, but i will need a blueprint for one that is safe. :yes: :yes: :yes: let me know how your one goes :friends:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:30 am 

I have been working with Lucy on pedestal rocks and she has started to tuck up her hinds, so sort of a real BIG Goat on the Mountain!!! She really loves to climb on things now,and is getting better balanced and agile and also much stronger!

Here's a clip from a few days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7W1A98m0tU

It may still be processing so check back later if you can't view it!

My plan for a pedestal is to use old truck or tractor tires filled with sand (and a board bolted underneath so I can move them around with the tractor!!). I want to try several tires, maybe 2 or 3?, to make a taller pedestal, with a big tire on the bottom and then progressively smaller stacked to the top??? That seems stable and safe I think???

Enjoy!

Brenda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:41 am 

hey there Brenda :D :D :D , i just really loved your pedistal mountain goat. that was really cool. i just made this really long comment on there, so i will sound like i am repeating myself. but i LOVED it!!! :clap: :applause: :kiss:

i have just started to play with this a little, but have found problems finding a suitable pedistal, but now that i have seen your rock i think i actually have a big rock down the back that i can use. so i will go see.

the tractor tires sound great. post pics when you have done it!!! :cheers: :yes:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:26 pm 

Thanks Jess!!

Where I live we have TONS of rocks (Trust me, you DO NOT want to plow a field up here!! YIKES!). My earth guys think I'm nuts, 'like Oh no, I WANT that rock there!'!

My tires are still frozen under ice and snow but will certainly let you know how the tire pedestals work out!

I think? Karen had a link to someone who used tires filled with sand for pedestals???

Anyway, our land is an old farm so has LOTS of old truck and tractor tires laying around, which cost $$$ to dispose of so I'll recycle them I guess!!

Brenda

http://www.youtube.com/user/Jack04574

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:19 pm 

I'm going to begin trying this with Skylark, as I think it would benefit her loads... Will see how it goes. Thanks for the great description Karen.