The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: 2: Jambette
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:26 am 

Lifting a leg on cue is definitely a prerequisite of the Jambette. So you are probably on the right track ;)
As the Jambette is a behaviour that horses love to show, even unasked, I find it very helpful to have a clear cue for it. I would try to distinguish it as best as possible from other cues. Especially lifting a leg for picking hooves. So be sure you are facing forward when cueing for the Jambette, if you are not already doing so.

Your horse seems to be digging in his already learned repertoire of giving hooves and pawing to guess what it might be you're looking for. That's great. Now basically you just have to be precise in what you reward and what not. Are you using clicker training, by the way? I don't remember if you said so already...
If you reward only the small approximations that lead to the Jambette, your horse will soon know what you want. Look for every forward and upward motion, every stretch of the leg and reward. But right now, lifting the leg is fine. I would just ignore the pawing - it will stop eventually.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:59 pm 

Thanks again for more help! Never used clicker training, basically I ask until I get something that is close to what I want, even a try and reward with some carrot :) Do you most use a clicker for training there horses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:55 am 

I guess most people here use some kind of reward based interaction - like what you described. Not all use Clicker Training in a strict sense though. Like Romy for example and you can see at her results, that she's very effective :yes:
Personally, I prefer Clicker Training, because it can be very precise and effective in the way it marks the moment the correct behaviour occurred. But I do not always use a mechanical clicker as a marker, but also a word.
What helped me a lot was reading up the various books on Clicker Training, as they illustrate the underlying learning theory very well. And that is the key to all training, in my opinion.

The horse owes us nothing.