The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I do use a lot of extension during practice, with Sjors especially in trot, with Blacky especially in canter. But extension actually goes hand-in-hand with a lengthening of the frame (more forwards neck) of the horse, and in the past lengthening the strides was seen as a direct result of lengthening the reins/neck. Nowadays though the reins are kept shorter and extension is produced in most Grand Prix riders by the legs of the rider and the horse pushing into the bridle with a (artificially) shortened neck.

In baroque dressage collection always came first: piaffe before the first canter attempts. And it is quite logical that the horse first needs to know how to collect before he can produce a lengthening of his movements without immediately falling on the forehand. I know that Sjors is quite good at extending his trot (going faster by taking longer, slower strides), also with a collected headset, but with a longer, more forwards neck than you will see with most Grand Prix riders nowadays.

So I think extension is possible at liberty/ in corde indeed, but mainly after teaching the horse how to collect in that gait first: Sjors for example has quite a good collected trot and can extend with a flexed poll and wide movements. Blacky however still has a clumsy collected canter and also will still fall on the forehand if he lengthens his stride in canter. And that agrees with the classical way of collection first, extension later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:18 am 

Welcome in the new year :D
I have found a nice video of Hempfling on lunging. Actually it's a slideshow but it shows a progress in one horse's education:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsW6zGCGz5Y

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:45 pm 

These explanations are great, thanks a lot. I have been looking for something like this for a while now, thanks again

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:01 pm 

Miriam wrote:
Playing is inspiring the horse to move freely and boldly again. Playing is not standing in the middle of the arena and making the horse run around you. That is not inspiring. Playing is inspiring your horse to move by showing him yourself how much fun it is to move. If you have fun in running around, your horse will want to join you to see what it's all about. That's the start of natural collection: you initiate the movement, your horse imitates you. If he realises that you were right, that moving and running is fun, you have a very valuable tool in your hands; mimicry. Your horse has learned that mimicking your movements is fun. So if you run forwards, he will be eager to try that to and run along. If you stop, he will stop. That's the beginning. And if you slow down and then start moving more upwards...

Hello everyone!
I love all the information on this forum!! Here I can find the lessons I need in order to teach myself and my horse! :lol: Thank you!

I have a question: what if you are physically not capable of running around a lot? I can do a little bit, but not a lot...

Do you have any suggestions for that?

Greetings from France, from a Dutch horse lover!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:35 pm 

If you can move around, but not run, you can try on eof the many variations of "chase the tiger" or "stalk the tiger". It can be anything from a wild running game, to a more controlled form of lunging. Walking in a circle with the target (tiger) on the end of a long whip, the horse can be trotting or cantering around you on a larger circle while you walk a smaller circle to the inside. If you can slowly jog a circle, the horse will have to almost run to keep up with the tiget on the outer circle. Because this game, in all it's forms is learned through positive methods only, it remains fun for the horse (as all training should, but this one especially).

I would suggest you watch some of the videos (if you can) in this topic.

http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/viewtopic.php?t=475

If you can't see the videos, just ask here again, and I'll further explain the lunging!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:19 pm 

Thank you so much Karen! It is a great advice that you gave me. I looked at the information and movies you suggested, and last sunday and yesterday I already practised with my horse Fay. She absolutely loved it!! :lol: We had so much fun!

I loved the way she moved. She really carried herself with pride, she moved energetic and really powerfull, she played, it was fantastic!
In between 'chasing the tiger' she loved to come to me to give and receive affection.

It is a really beautiful exercise!!
Thanks again!

Further, I am working on writing my introduction for all of you. I promiss I won't stay anonymous! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:45 pm 

First 2 Chase the tiger videos are removed and the links are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe5CwweChzM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qtZFqAVssQ

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:16 pm 

Thank you Helen! I love your videos and photos, you make a very nice couple together with Esprit. And wow, what a beautiful horse he is.... !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:20 pm 

Thank you so much, Jolanda :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:00 pm 

Wow, Miriam! :lol: That definately explains so much!
Now, if someone can just tell me how to start playing with my treasure ....
There we are, in the arena, or paddock, or round ring. We look at each other.
If I walk away he will follow me like a puppy-dog! I'm still not sure how that happened, but he will walk behind me everywhere I go - weaving through things, over poles, in really small circles - or big ones - wherever.
BUT, if I run away he still walks! Its as if he thinks he musn't speed up ....
If I do something unusual or fast, he stops in his tracks and looks at me as if to say "what on earth was that?" and starts breathing heavily. Then I stroke him and he calms.
So what can I do?

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

I guess you'll find a lot of answers to the running question already in the Groundwork leven 1 topic on the wild games:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=129

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

And there is another discussion about running and playing:

Running and play

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:39 pm 

Thanks, Miriam. I have already read about half of that topic - I will continue after I've absorbed some of what I read. I'm sure I'll have to read through the whole topic several times. :)

Thanks Romy. I will definitely check that out!

Like I said - I've never before seen or heard of a horse that looks confused and breathes heavily like Freckles does when there's something "new" going on. I'm able to calm him by stroking, but that is not neccessarily helping him to figure things out ...

Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled. Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

Glen Grobler wrote:
I've never before seen or heard of a horse that looks confused and breathes heavily like Freckles does when there's something "new" going on.

Haha, I have planned for a long time to get Summy´s breathing on tape when he is excited about a new exercise - like an old steam train. But he is getting better and better (more and more calm), so I don´t know if I will get it, and I don´t know if it will work at all, because the camera has to be really close in order to record the tone. If I get it one day, I will post it into his diary. But don´t worry, Glen, you are not the only one...

Post subject: value of this forum
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:56 pm 

I am new to this group and just want to say how thrilled I am to have found it! I ride bitless and treeless and have Nevzorov's and Cynthia Royal's videos, and many many other training books etc. This if by far the most informative and thoughtful exchange I have found and I have learned so much already, which I am applying in my interactions with my horses. I am as excited about working with my boys are they will hopefully be interacting with me. I'm sure I will have questions, but first I must catch up on all the great information on this site. Again...I feel like I have come home!