The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:02 pm 

On NHE I kind of knew the idea of what I am supposed to do with my horse, and saw how it should look in the end, but there was always this question: how to reach that? What am I supposed to do first? Who can help me? It was all so blury, but when I found out this forum, suddenly, it is all so clear, and now I really get the idea and motivation. It's like the water becoming clear and bright, after so much time swimming in the blur.
It's great!

I only have one question, I'm sooo sorry if there is a topic about it, I'm new and didn't get to know the whole forum, so please direct me somehow:

What about very young horses, 0-3 yr. old? I have a chance on working with filly of some 7 months. The first rule: playing. Ok I understand it, but they sometimes like to kick and bite as part of their game. How to start with this youngster, acctualy, how to deal with kicking and biting? Do you advise some other approach?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Natasha,

maybe you will find some useful info over here: Dealing with a pushy horse

You can also post your questions to that topic if they aren´t answered there already... or just start a new topic. :smile:

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:03 pm 

Thanks Romy! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:36 am 

Thank you so much. This makes things more clear :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:15 pm 

I'm new here and I just wanted to let you know how exited I am about this forum. :) I find a lot of answers here that I have been searching for in NHE. Thank you so much for sharing all this information. I'm looking forward to get to know you all. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:02 am 

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

Best,
Leigh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:51 pm 

I've just read this after a hard day's work, in which the highlights (as always) were stealing five minutes to let another group of the mules I look after out into the sand school and let them play together and stretch their legs.. It's always amazing to see what beautiful natural dressage these guys pull off!

Anyway, after thoroughly reading the main post in this thread, i'm really looking forward to putting into practice some of these levels with Skylark... I also need to make a cordeo - I see there is a thread on that so I will look at some of yours for inspiration.

Thanks for this informative thread.
xx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:53 am 

In this section so we just start with all of the number 1?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:29 am 

The levels categorise the exercises listed here into progression similar to the classical or academic dressage training. It's a guideline in how natural dressage can be achieved, but I would not cling to it strictly. There are too many variables (individual horses and humans, age, experience, environment) involved that might make a whole different approach necessary.
I see the levels as a very good listing of exercises and a good place to start and to come back for review. You can see the way they are organised in this post by Miriam.

Still, for me the best way to start is to experiment. What does my horse know already? Where do I want to go from there? What kind of "exercise" can help me with that? No two horses will be the same in the way they learn.
There are certain exercises that are based on each other of course, like for example Jambette and Spanish walk. But there may also be horses who do Spanish walk just by themselves, so you just need to work on a way to cue that.
Basically all the Haute Ecole movements are inherent in horses, so it all boils down to the simple question of communication - a common language and an agreement of how to interact.
The rest then is just what it's name says: "exercise" (for body and mind).

You might also want to check out this thread: Different ways of starting to interact with your horse

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:34 am 

So re the levels

Where are the instructions...

What is the start to studying.... :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:36 pm 

soquilichiaus wrote:
Where are the instructions...
I'm afraid if you're looking for detailed step-by-step instructions - there are none. This forum is about finding individual ways of communication with our horses by experimenting with alternative ways of interaction. We will not propagate a method, or give strict instructions.

The only thing I could provide you with is a description of how I (personally) proceeded with certain exercises, but still I would not advise you to do like I did. Instead I'd suggest you look at many different sources and then pick out what you like and what works with you and your horse.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:00 am 

Like Volker said, it is more like general guidelines than specific rules. Every person/horse interaction is different and thus impossible to give one answer that can fit everybody. Sorry, I know that that doesn't help teach your horse anything, but I guess that's the goal. The goal is learning how to teach things best to yourself and your horse as individuals. More than that, it's learning about both of you through the path of teaching/learning things. After a while, it becomes less about learning specific objectives and more about your interactions and relationship with the horse. (At least it was for me, I don't know about anyone else.) So look at new directions and never stop experimenting! :cheer: