The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:35 pm 

We just begin to work on this figure! He still searching his balance, but the last part of this video he did a few good step!!!
I was a bit too hurry in the beginning of the video, because my cameraman might left quickly, so i asked a bit too fast to nirvana, which one was finishing to eat, and not ready to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls7QonHKkrk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Laurie,

totally cool that you are working on the Laufcourbette, too, because that's what Titum and I are trying to figure out at the moment as well (Laufcourbette from this Saturday) and I am more than happy to get some inspiration. Can you maybe write in a little more detail how you are working on this? That is, what cues do you use for which part of the movement etc.

Thanks in advance!! :)

Warm Regards,
Romy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:14 pm 

wow good :applause:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:23 am 

Thats Awesome - Well done!! :thumright:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:44 am 

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Very nice Laurie!!!!!!!!! Go Nirvana!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:00 am 

Romy, you use a MANURE FORK for motivation??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sue

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:59 pm 

Romy
Thanks!! Romy doing a great job too :) But his work look more like a laufcourbette. Nirvana is too hight to be a courbette. Someone told me when a horse was walking and rearing it was called " Bôt" in french.
I don't can give somes cue on my work because the only thing a did was take a few step in front when he was rearing and i reward his move. That wasn't really hard to learn him lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

They both look great! I especially had to laugh about Titum, he walks so extremely collected, and then still has his tail sticking right up in the air! :funny:

I like Nirvana's walk as well, very smooth and balanced, it reminds me of the one Blacky does (although at the moment he confuses it with the pesade and the courbette). He has also tried it a couple of time in the levade, but that is quite hard to do and it just looks really weird! 8)

I simply combined the cue for the pesade a couple of times with the voice cue for walk, and soon Blacky started combining the two. The AND Haute Ecole video we made actually records one of his first pesade/walk attempts with just one or two steps. Nowadays he can do five or six - but all he wants to do is to jump now. 8)

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

Post subject: Re: 4: Walk courbette
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

I thought this was such a great topic that it should be a sticky in the Exercise section.

@ Romy: In the other walk coubette video you have on YouTube, Titum is actual jumping with both his hindlegs in the air at the same time. It looks like when he goes faster, he's experimenting with the real jumped courbette! :ieks: :)

Post subject: Re: 4: Walk courbette
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Miriam, great that you turned it into a sticky! And yes, I know, in one of the fast laufcourbettes he used both hindlegs - I made a slow motion version of it so that I could really see it.

The other thing we were trying to get a jumping courbette were extremely low rears with his weight shifted back and then I moved backwards away from him - and he jumped after me with his hindlegs while he still had his frontlegs in the air. :smile:

With Titum it really did not work at all to even give him an idea of jumping during the high rears, but with the low rears it worked just fine. I am looking forward to his next courbette phase, because right at the moment he finds it boring and prefers eating while rearing.

Oh, and I will just add the other laufcourbette video here, the one with the tiger.

I just copied this small explanation about how we started the laufcourbette from our video topic:

I did not teach him, he taught himself, like he does with most of the things we do. When we began to practise the high and long rears, he sometimes made a backwards step to maintain balance. I encouraged that and so he became used to moving while he was up. And after a few days he sometimes, although very seldom in the beginning, also did a forwards step. I rewarded that a lot. Now he is doing more and more of them. He knows that this is getting rewarded, but whatever I do to encourage him to walk forwards all doesn´t work and instead makes his rears much worse, because he focuses forwards too early and shifts his weight forwards and so instead of walking while he is up, he bumps down on his frontlegs. I guess I need a better timing ;), but for now I do not interfere but only reward his offers, which become more and more frequent.

...and then some days later I tried the tiger again. Last summer when we had learned the tiger rears it had been totally impossible to cue forward movement during the rear with the tiger, so I didn´t really expect anything in the beginning, but for some reason it worked. It´s the same thing like it had been with the rears: the tiger did not help at all to get started, but once Titum had an idea of the movement, the tiger was helping to get duration and focus. :smile:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

Now I read your explanation of how you started, I remember that it was the same over here as well, that indeed was the phase before I started asking for the walk. First I too started to reward for a balance-step back and sideways and only when Blacky started to experiment with that (and forgot that he actually could also just stand still 8) ) I started to ask for it with the voice cue.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:07 am 
Site Admin

I have another question about this: some days ago Titum experimented with walking forwards during the very low rears. It´s a bit hard for him so he only gets three or four steps though. I love this and will continue rewarding it anyway, but what is a real laufcourbette supposed to look like concerning height? More like a levade or pesade?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:10 am 
Site Admin

The real laufcourbette or walk courbette is more like a pesade, walking on the hindlegs in a high rear. But it's funny that both Titum and Blacky have started to do the same in a low levade as well. I guess they've just invented a new style of doing it. They really are in sync, aren't they? :funny:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:56 am 

Lasuria all i can say is wow !!!! i love your horse