The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:26 am 

Our labrador-retriever, Catoo, is over 10 years old. Since about 9 months he is more quickly out of puff and then often seems as he had a frog in his throat (rattles), and that he sometimes badly manages to get up we pinned on his age. On last sunday nevertheless, as we came back from a walk around our gravel pit, we saw that his doing was not fine, he panted and he seemed to us as he had a pain. And in addition to that we found some blood in his feces. :sad:

Yesterday the vet listen to his chest and vetted his abdomen with ultrasonic. The doc told us Catoo's heart is healthy but it turned out that he has a greatly enlarged and inflamed prostate. He meant, these largeness is borderline and when we don't act at once his shape will deteriorates sharply, at worst it develops cancer. Now the options are: castration which induces the prostate-decrease or an ectomy of the prostate. We decided us for the castration and hope that can brings the effect which Catoo needs to get better soon.

Is anybody here who have experiences with this?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Admin

I don't have any experiences with this, but maybe this thread on curcumin benefits may help? Susie has been posting lots of information on this over the years, and Karen has had good experiences with curcumin when her dog Rio got cancer.

All my best for Catoo! :f:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:45 am 

Oh, thank you for the link and for your wishes, Romy. :f:

I have never heard before about the effect of curcumin. Can be quite a interesting alternative to conventional medication, also for humans. At present Catoo have to ingest 4 pills in the morning and 2 pills evenings. On the one hand there are antibiotics against the inflammation and on the other hand painkillers. That's really steep...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:48 am 
Site Admin

TakeItEasy wrote:
I have never heard before about the effect of curcumin.

Me neither, but since several people here in the forum have tried it (for different things) and everyone was totally amazed by the results, it's the first thing I would try if I or my horses had a problem where this was an option. :smile:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:42 am 

Seemingly is nobody here who has/had a dog with this difficulty. Whatever, our dog is not longer more a man now... ;) The OP yesterday went well, admittedly he losts his virility but - we hope so - not his health and his vitality.

He receives antibiotic and painkillers for two days, the follow-up check will be on 6. May. The prostate needs till a half year for dwindling and only then you might say if the operation was helpful for his problems or not. Wouldn't have guessed...

In addition to that the vet founded a bulge on his tongue. Will see what the test result will bring. Could be that this the cause is for his rattling and breathlessness when he strains physically. Hopefully it's not cancer.

Poor fellow! This morning he looked so sad and vaguely inquiring. He seemed to ask me "What you did to me?" :pet:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:55 am 

For few days we got the test result about the biopsy of the tongue-lump. The good news: It's no cancer, the bad: it's inoperable, so that we have only the hope that the lump not becomes bigger. But I feel a bit gloomy, because Catoo rattles more often during our daily walks and he seems growing faster tired and zonked. I have the feeling that it becomes stronger then formerly, unfortunately. But what else can we do? I could try to mix Curcurmin in his food. I don't know if he will like that. :huh: But it's worth trying... Apart from that he still is the smart and playful dog that he ever is. Still hopefully for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:49 pm 

Hi,
I don't have experience with what you are discussing but do wonder what he is fed? I had a german shepherd who had an autoimmune disease which could not be fixed but I did manage to "buy" him an extra two years of quality life by feeding him a "BARF" diet. I went to every expert who all told me that I could only make him confortable and at that stage he was constantly on antibiotics and cortisone injections :ieks:
I did some major reasearch after my vet handed me the book "give your dog a bone". It changed my thinking and I went all out and followed the Barf diet for the next two years. He was able to come off the drugs and had a much more vital life than he had before.
I do know how difficult it is to watch a loved dog (your best friend really) suffering and feeling like there is nothing you can do. Please google the "BARF" diet which stands for bones and raw food and maybe you can make some changes to halt or slow what is going on and give him a few more quality years.
I know Josepha feeds her cats a similar diet and do believe that just like humans if you can get good nutrition and what the body needs in enough quantities it has a better chance of healing and being able to fight any breakdowns in the system.
I hope he feels better soon :sad: :f:

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:57 am 

Catoo gets a dried food for seniors by "Hills". We think it is the best food for him, he is fit, his fur glares and since then he has not more these diverse digestive- and skin-problems like years before (vomiting, diarrhea). With BARF I am unfamiliar, so that first I have to inform about. But thanks for your tip and your warm wishes, Annette! :f: