The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 7:28 pm 

Hey all:

My cat Zelda landed wrong a couple of weeks ago and has subluxated her patella...in plain English, she got her kneecap out of whack and it apparently is slipping in and out of the groove. :sad:

I took her to the vet last week and he gave her an anti-inflammatory med that got her very sick --- scary sick -- after one dose, so I immediately took her off of it and worried for several days. (it can hit kidney function in cats, which it did for her -- felt awful about it!).

So, now I'm back to a limping cat.

I'm not sure how to get turmeric in her. Have read that fish oil is a very good anti-inflammatory, and she has loved sardines/oil when I've gotten them before. Am also trying (hah!) to keep her fairly quiet in the hopes that this can recover on its own.

Does anyone have any brilliant ideas about anything else we might try? She is a love and I hate seeing her hurting -- she is intermittently limping, with times where she can't put any weight on the leg at all.

Thanks!
Leigh

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hope you can get her to rest as much as possible. I do not know what you feed her, but our cats just take a teaspoon of curcuma with their raw meat.
Maybe you can offer some canned tuna in water with the curcuma?

And what works really good is Traumeel from Heel, but I do not know if you can get that outside of Europe/Belgium?

Our vets gives Heel intraveneus which works even better. There is no danger.

http://www.heel.de/Heel_com_About_Heel_ ... iveID=1125

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:48 am 

You might try wrapping (although difficult on cats) with hot and cold gels. You would need to wrap it so she can't lick/eat it!!! Or if you can hold her, maybe just resting that limb in warm or cold water will help with swelling. I know it's hard to watch them in pain but she will figure out not to use it too much when it hurts. I know it sounds cruel but if she can feel it she will rest it, once they get pain relief they run the risk of damaging it more!!!
Hope she feels better soon!!!
Ax

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:11 pm 

Oh, thanks to both of you!

josepha -- I've never heard of traumeel before but I can get it in the States, I've discovered. Looks like people love it -- and I think I'm going to try it on my sore elbows!

And it's safe to use topically? (The monk's hood/belladonna ingredients got me spooked -- but I do see people giving to their cats orally and am not seeing any horror stories...)

And Annette-- thanks so much for the reminder about letting her feel it so she doesn't continually injure it because she's thinking she's better. Really good to read! You're of course right.

I'm going to order some Traumeel today...

Thank you!

xo
L.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:36 pm 
Site Admin

Well, my cats still walk around at age 15, so... :) Maybe ask a holistic vet? not the chemical ones, they don't have a clue :roll:

I use traumeel for everything, on everyone! The gel for the outside, the drops for the inside. works like a charme 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:48 pm 

No, just wanted to make sure you gave it orally and everyone was okay!

I trust Josepha!
:)

Thank you!!!

:kiss:
L.