The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: East Coast US?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:06 am 

I have a small barn in New Jersey, (US) and am having a heck of a time finding other Natural Dressage folks. I got into ND when I still rode/ worked for a very radical German-school FEI rider, hated my job and couldn't understand why. It's been a long journey getting from rolkur to where I am now and I would love to trade notes with like-minded riders. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any in my country, let alone my state. I am also considering taking on a few students who really want to ride this way, (I'm kind of done coaching for conventional show dressage... the horses tend to get pushed hard and the whole meaning of what dressage actually is seems to be lacking, at least in my experiences.)I would love to hear from folks who teach this, as I'm a little unsure where to start. I have a feeling that flyer would look a little strange at the local feed store... "learn classical elements of dressage without a double, or maybe even a single, bridle... and while your at it, become your horse's best friend, too." There's just so many crazy-driven show riders in my neck of the woods... I doubt many of them would even consider ND for a second. Although... people, ponies and politics are often surprising, as the saying goes. Any ideas from folks who have been or are going through this sort of thing would be very much appreciated. Actually, any ideas from anyone at all would be quite welcome too! :)

Post subject: Re: East Coast US?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:30 am 

Welcome :)

Sounds like you neck of the woods is a lot like mine ;) Horsey people are oh so opinionated about things like this .
It is great that you have turned you back on the harshness of conventional dressage and made the decision to stop coaching .But I am Sorry I don't know anyone near you , I think we have quite a few members who are in the US . I wonder were abouts are you ? I know Leigh is from New York ....

If you are confident you can teach people about AND then I think you should go ahead and put up a flyer . You may be surprised how many people would also like to change , they just never thought there was an alternative . I would be prepared for some opinionated callers though , but who knows :smile:

Good luck :thumleft:

Post subject: Re: East Coast US?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:02 pm 

Thanks for the advice Faldor! I think I'm going to go ahead and advertise in April and see what happens. I've been reading a bunch of topics on here and this site has really inspired me to go for it. Everyone is so open and honest about things, and kind. You guys are great!