The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:07 pm 

hi guys...
it was a nice sunday we have had a very nice time.
I have met Josepha and spoken her for a few minutes. But she was very bussy.
I have watched her during her demo. She did it wonderfull. And the horse Percilla and her rider were doing realy great. A new environment and a lot of dirt. (the horse was affraid of water) but the horse was doing very well. They ride with a cordeo and make clear were they stand for..

After the demo was finished...suddenly within a few secconds the horse jump away very fast. The lady could not take it longer because the horse was taking big and small steps and take a quick turn. The lady fall off the horse..through a heavy barrier...o dear...it was going totaly the wrong way..it was going so well until that moment..those few seconds..the fence was made from concrete (do you write it this way) it was broken by her speed..
then everything goes quickly..phonecalls..help her for what was possible.. ambulance..and she drove away.
Josepha was very afraid..o man..so quickly and a bad end after a good demo..
I did not have spoken her later..she had also to do a story about bitless riding, so she had to go on.

So i do not know what the lady have..what i could see, she had a very painfull leg. But she could move it. So it was bad but not that bad as a broken back or some like that. I hope she will be fine soon.

I have also some good news :-)
i have seen Ralf (from here) and he did a good demo also. a nice horse and he did it so well.
and yes he showed some groundwork as we do here..
cashing a tiger, you saw the spirit in the horse..wow..

I have some pics but still on my camera..but as soon i have them i will place them over here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:32 pm 

I went 2 days, it was great.
Samantha (who fell of) is alright, in the afternoon she was already back at the event.
I still did not have enough time to see everything!!
But I saw Josepha's demos, they were very good.
I did not have the time to go to her reading.
I saw Donald Newe, Chris Irwin, Parelli, Ralph ( who was indeed great) and so on... But I was really impressed by Leslie Desmond! I ordered her book right away.
I also saw Raf his reading about meridians and energetic healing and I bought a book about that.
And I went to a reading about saddles and met a fantastic saddle-maker. I will ask him to come and take a look at Beau, hear what he has to say about his back.

I learned SOOOOO MUCH just by looking.

The best vacation in years :)
And my only in years too actually!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Yes Luckily Samantha and Percella are both fine :phew:

I went on sunday and it was great!! Ralph and Opositor were AMAZING!!!
And ofcourse so was Josepha but don't we all know she's great 8) Josepha explained the thoughts behind the 'fitness training' of our horses sooo well!!!
:applause: and Samantha and Percella were doing great at the wet paddock!! :applause:

I did see bits & pieces of some clinicians and some things just aren't my piece of cake like the leadership thoughts behind Parelli. Just a matter of personal taste I guess :wink: I didn't see Leslie :( so I read I really missed something.

Although Donald Newe is nicer to horses than most and has much the same thoughts as I, I couldn't understand his explanation combined with his actions to be honest. He says the horse is always right (so true!) but he the mare didn't want to be ridden and was clearly overwhelmed by all what was going on. Personally and according to his explanation which I agree on, I would not have ridden her that day. I'm curious about his thoughts behind going through with riding her anyway. Maybe he has specific thoughts and reasons for this but he didn't explain those and I personally find that a pity. I couldn't help to feel sorry for the nice mare but he has let the audience see that starting a horse is not about controlling with a bit.

Thanks to Josepha and Ralph for the nice time!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

Great!
Now I feel really bad for not going... :evil: 8)

I was really shocked when I read that Samantha fell, is she okay? And how did Percella respond to suddenly loosing her rider? I can imagine it was just as big of a shock to her!

I always hate to see people falling off horses. The last times I went to horse shows (Levade and Appasionata) both times several riders fell off their horses. Especially in the Doma Vaquera acts, with horses who looked very stressed to begin with and could barely be controlled with the long shankbits, so falling off certainly isn't limited to bitless/cordeoless riders... :wink:

I hope they are both okay!

And can someone tell more about Leslie Desmond? What did she do? What is her book about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:44 pm 

Miriam wrote:
Great!
Now I feel really bad for not going... :evil: 8)

And how did Percella respond to suddenly loosing her rider? I can imagine it was just as big of a shock to her!

do not feel bad..next year new chances :D

Her horse was galopping and take a quick turn, then she fall off..the horse did run a few steps further but look a bit as oohh..what have i done? were is she? but i am realy afraid of something. She stoped at the other side of the arena and walked alongside the fence. But was easy to catch. So someone did.

Samanta asked a bit later for her horse, and the lady was almost nearby so she could take a look on her horse and see that the horse was fine.
The horse was a bit upset, not much, but not more than before the demo.

I am glad to hear that she is fine. And have not very big injuries...pfff it was going so fast and hard..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:03 pm 

Hi

Nice to hear it was so great.
I have spoken to some people who also went to equistyle and they all said it was really great.

Today I met Donald in person, he is a very nice guy. Very wise and friendly. tomorrow another day. I hope I will learn alot more. There were also some policemen and I hope he got into their mind (with his bitless story) and they will start a change.

More details are following
Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:08 pm 

I was there on saturday, where I met Josepha! It was nice to talk to you. Oh, and sorry for not meeting you later, I went to the stand later that day but you where not there and we were in a bit of a hurry so I went home. But it was very nice to see you! I bought a new leadrope in her shop, since my old one was a bit too elastic, I could not work with it so well. This one is made from cotton, which i like best. :D

So... what we saw?
We saw Donalds clinic which gave enough prove again that he is a great horseman, but it's a pity that he gives a horse the first ride on a demonstration. I find such thinks quite useless... But still I was impressed how calm he stayed although the audience all got very tense and thinking he would fall of the horse.

I also saw Josepha's demo of course which was very nice. It was a pity that we could not see Owen, but it's so good to see she considers his health more important than the demo. It was interesting to see how the quite old horse, who was probably suppressed his whole life, reacted to the new wat humans approached him. Although it also seemed that this way of thinking was quite new to Loes?

I was happily surprised by Leslie Desmond. Although she does not want the horse to show much initiative she was quite soft in her actions and she could read the horse very well (she predicted what the horse would do and the horse did it each time). I liked how she thought about things and made the audience think. One time she said down next to the horse and she said she could not make contact with the horse because the audience was looking in between them. So honest, and so true, because when the audience looked away she could make contact.

I was a bit disappointed by Voest and (again) by Chris Irwin. They both explained that it was inpolite to do certain things to horses and while they said it the did the 'inpolite thing' to demonstrate it. That's IMO not so respectful to the horse...

Ralph and Opositor where great! Opositor is in real even more beautiful than on the movie and the pictures. Very lovely! It looked though like Ralph asked little too much since in the end Opositor seemed not entirely comfortable with the demo anymore. But of course it was only your second demo and the riding part was lovely and the spirit Opositor had during play was very impressive! it was a pleasure to watch the to of them together, such a good relationship. :D

The police horses were not very nice to watch, since the did not seem very happy, but I liked to watch the dog who looked very happy and eager to do whatever his man said. It was quite impressive what they showed and they inspired me also quite much.

I was shocked to read about Samantha falling of, how are you now Samantha? everything alright with you and Percella?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Percella was very 'uncomfortable' to say the least about losing Samantha and I felt a sigh of relief when we walked up to Samantha and they could look in each others eyes.. speaking about a bond between those two.. amazing!! :friends:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:06 pm 

about Leslie: ( I saw 4 demos from her)
but of course I'm not being objective ;)
she was very calm, not asking much of the horse, and was talking about being able to control 1 foot at a time so that you can make it clear to your horse what you want. She also came back to lifting the withers a few times. She was also talking about the fact that if you want a horse to do something you should picture it mentally, get the image in your head of what you want and your horse will respond. Visualize what you want and your horse will be more than willing to comply(?) she said. So I wonder how she works on that, that is why I bought her book. She also talked about not pushing your horse around because it does not work! You will learn your horse to push in to you.

I did see a few things when she rode when the horse did offer something and she took it on, also on the ground she went with the horse and let him sometimes decide what to do.
So I am very curious about what her book will be like. Maybe I expect too much :oops:

And what she finds important is not hand-feeding a horse. No treats what so ever, but we'll read about it and then see how she means it :)

She indeed is very strict about giving the horse his own space and NOT STARING at your horse :) AND BREATHING! that was so funny every time she told us to stop staring and start breathing.

And she did not want to give a show, she did what she found necessary and she did not 'give a damn' what you were thinking about it :) Great woman :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:54 pm 

hajj everybody,

samantha the rider here,,
I think percella did verry well, she did so great, it was our first time giving a demo,, so she did well except the end of course..

but it could have happend at home to so,,
I'm glad we're both allright..

but now after all these reports you read
, I'm a bit insecure, people say it wasnt good and all that, but i'm going to see the movies within seconds, so I can see it myself, and judge it myself..

edit : I just say some movies, she did great, me seat wasn't that good, I sit way to far in the saddle.. i do hold me to the sadlle in trot, but that's more to lightin (ontlasten) myself for her back than that i'm off balance.. and the padock was so wet that she some times slipped, thats also one of the reasons..
at the end she was just a bit to excited, but that's all,,

greetings,
samantha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:00 pm 

you did very good, the idea of being in a demo and I would have just fallen of because I was to tense to breathe! I really have a lot of respect for you doing this, you trust your horse and she trusts you, you could see that. Giving demos is something you have to learn, you could see it at Ralph's demo too, he is not used to demos the way Parelli is, and the horses aren't either.
People will always comment you, whether you do great or not, they'll find something to say about you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Barbara, that is exactly what we all needed to hear :)

And ain't that the truth!

off to giving lessons now after the store being over run, millions of phone calls and e-mails and loooooots of paperwork... (so still no chance to enlighten everyone here :roll:

I need 5 extra hours in the day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:56 pm 

perfect words barbara :-)
so it is...the dutch words are "de beste stuurlui staan aan wal" sory no english for this :wink:

I have watched Ralf too, when he said i ride sometimes in front of the horse/ leaning forwards to give the back of the horse more release, so the horse can make his back more rounded..
I give it a try today....and yes...it works!!
i had a wow feeling...i felt my horse under me and he make his back more rounded as usual..so i was very happy..
When i go sit backwards he was going back to his normal position... So yes i use this more in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:59 am 

Sounds great
I have seen some of the police horse in the clinic with Donaled. Two of them were really stressed and did not like all of this that was happening. The last day he convinced every policemen to ride bitless. Two of them rode on just a halter!!! You should have seen their horses...
There was this speedy horse who just turned into another horse, relaxed, curious and he had a very sweet look on his face. I have some pics of it, that I will post later on! Wonderful to see!

Regards

I wish I knew your world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:12 pm 

yes..pics..that would be nice..i have missed this part :?