The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:34 pm 

Not sure where to put this , so moderators feel free to move it :)

the horse crucified and risen is on special for 5 pound in kobo reader

just thought you guys might want to know :f:

cheer Ali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the tip! :yes:

I actually bought the book two weeks ago when I was at a horse bookshop. I was very surprised to find it there and decided to buy it as I felt I had to, having been in that forum for quite some time, but I still haven't started reading. I did leaf through it, but the pictures are really gruelling and the text just so very negative and aggressive that I couldn't bear going any further.
But that's the great thing about a paper book - you can always tear the pictures out of it! (which in this case I'm really going to do)

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:16 pm 

Yes I quite agree Miriam :yes: I also felt this with his book tractate on a school mount ( sorry if I spelt this wrong )
Beware they are quite spiteful :ieks:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:17 pm 

I wanted to become a member of that forum but it was denied to me. I don't know why. The only things I said in the instructional email was that I read and watched all their material, I love my horses very much and that I'm an online student of the WHR. I also send photos of how I trim my horses hooves at liberty. I send another email asking for an explanation and I send one directly to the Canadian guy Michael, who told me about the online school in the first place, but he just ignored me after that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:49 am 

yeah its a strange place there - I would love to get hold of that secret manuscript he talks about :study:

sorry for silly question but what is WHR :blonde: ?

P.S I love that smiley :blonde: :funny:

Last edited by Ali on Thu May 08, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:27 pm 

I think by WHR, Ulrike refers to the Waterhole Rituals by Carolyn Resnick.
There several threads about it - here are two for example:
http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4266
http://www.artofnaturaldressage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2123

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:09 pm 

Thanks Volker :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:20 am 

Oh sorry! Yes, it's the Waterhole Rituals.

Yes, I really love it here! Everyone is so welcoming, helpful and friendly!

I don't even care about what they have to say, now that I'm here.

Their books and DVDs might be good to open the eyes of some but those who already love their horses as they are don't need all this heavy, negative stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:53 am 

I find it strange that Michael didn't respond. I attended a seminar held by Michael Bavilaqua(?) and CloƩ in Northern Quebec last summer and I told them I was practicing clicker training with my horse. They didn't agree with this way of communicating with horses but they were very open about how it was positive to the horse. On the other hand, Carolyn's method does use some "leadership" behaviors (just like horses amongt themselves) which I believe may be the reason why you were denied access to their forum. I also stopped using the WHR because I thought it was too demanding to my TB (especially the go trot and come up and taking territory rituals) but that's me. I'm happy I learnt the WHR. But now I have learnt how clicker training and free shaping works and I'm happy with that. I believe all cruel-free methods are great. the method we follow depends on our own personalities and beliefs. As long as the horse is happy, that is what counts (IMO of course).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:49 pm 

Carolyn always tries to impress on people not to demand anything from the horse and not to have any agendas. Also she warns from practicing any of the rituals before a strong bond and love relationship has been formed during Sharing Territory, the 1st ritual. The territorial rituals and games are all about politeness around food and come up and go trot is comparable to the running games and horses really love playing. Carolyn makes sure that the horse always has the opportunity to leave her company. She does not offer her leadership to horses until they ask for it.

Michael responded to my emails until they didn't want me at the online school.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:37 am 

I did follow the WHR a few years until I started training Dreamer a TB who did not run away but rather challenged. My horses know me. I am not a "leader" by nature but I love being with my horses. So Magik, my 22 y.o. QH would literally mock me when I tried to take his territory. He knew I wasn't scary enough. He did leave but at a very slow pace. On the other hand, Dreamer, the TB, when I tried to take his territory, he would challenge me and not move. He would stand, with his head so high and sometimes snort. I don't think I was in a good position to challenge him.

I'm not saying the WHR did not help my relationship with Magik, it did alot, especially the Sharing Territory ritual which is absolutely fantastic. Magik learnt he could trust me enough to fall asleep, his head over mine and just breathing over me (what a feeling that is!!). He also companion walks with me all the time. But he knows I'm not his leader. He can read me like a book. But he knows I would never hurt him and I will protect him (I protect him from Dreamer's attacks).

With Dreamer, clicker training helped so much. He now wants to "play" and the more I teach him stuff, the more he wants to learn. Since he nips alot, I'm teaching him to back up two steps as soon as he approaches me. He's now backing up on his own. then I taught him to touch a stationary target. So when he starts getting pushy, I'll just say "target" and point to the stationary target and off he goes to the target. He is such a fast learner. I think he needs this type of stimulation to be happy.

Nevzorov is completely against clicker training since they believe it's a bribe and it interferes with the true relationship. Well, IMO, if giving a reward to a horse when teaching a behavior is a bribe, well I guess I'm guilty but it's working so that is what counts. My horse is happy and everything is positive.l

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:41 am 

I too have problems with sending my horse away but that's where all of Carolyn's games come in handy. In the 5 Piles of Hay Game my horses learn to move on without me making them. It's a friendly request to give up the spot their on for me and they can always choose not to. Reciprocal movements have been a great way for me to fit in with my herd and they can relate to me the way they relate to each other. The other game to show the horse that running away and coming back is fun is the Carrot Game, where the horse runs between two persons and finds carrots at both ends.

I have only just started to do clicker training like things because I used to be worried the horses could become pushy and nippy around the children. We basically have the horses living in the house with us and to me it was not worth the risk. Now, with the Waterhole Rituals as a foundation I don't worry about it at all. My children could be wearing apple dresses and the horses would not touch them. We have had too many picnics together for that to happen.