The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: A lesson in awareness
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:06 pm 

Anna showed me an interesting exercise the other day, which she had learned in a seminar: to put an egg on its top. :ieks:
I thought it was impossible to do that, but she told me that she had done it. And at one time real quick and easy - more or less without thinking.
I tried it yesterday and it was indeed an interesting experience. For one thing the success seems to depend a lot on the attitude with which I approached the task. If I was convinced that it's possible and just thought it's a matter of time, then it happened earlier. When I got impatient, because I wanted to succeed already, it could get almost impossible.
The second interesting thing I learned was to apply minimal pressure and be aware of every minute weight change on my fingertips. But once it was standing, it did not tip over as easy as I thought it would. Balance is a delicate thing, but also very strong...

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:49 am 
Site Admin

Oh, I love these little demos and analogies that you can learn in some seminars. My personal favourite, and one that has influenced me ever since, is about conversation.

Pairs of people get a picture postcard with rather simple motives, and only one partner can see it. He gets seven minutes to explain to the other one what is on it. The other one may ask questions and they can talk in whatever way they like. Then, after the seven minutes have passed, both partners are required to give a rating on a scale from 0-100, indicating how correct they think the listener's understanding of the motive on the postcard is by then. This usually gets rather high ratings in the 70-80 range.

Afterwards, the postcards are turned around and the listeners are shocked, now correcting their ratings to about 30. And then the person who was teaching the seminar said: "That is when you have seven minutes only to talk about a simple picture. Now imagine you are a therapist, and imagine how much you can possibly understand of someone who is trying to spread out his life for you in an hour."

At that point, it became clear to me that I had no idea. That it takes very little for me to feel confident in having understood the situation, believing I had a good mental image of someone's representations, and that our future interaction could be grounded on that. And that at the same time, this certainty is not an indicator for any kind of reality at all, it's just my own construction. I think I have become more careful since then in jumping to conclusions about someone based on how he is talking or acting.