The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Why am I not as active at AND as I used to be?
I have moved on in my interests 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
I did not find here what I was looking for 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I did not get enough feedback or helpful replies 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
The members/topics who were my reason for writing here are gone 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
I do not like how the forum is run 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I have personal issues with one or more of the people here 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I have found another means of discussing horses (facebook, blog, other forum etc.) 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
My need to discuss horses is satisfied - the relevant questions are answered already 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Other (please explain in the topic) 47%  47%  [ 16 ]
Total votes: 34
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:56 am 
Site Admin

The facebook group is open, some of my fb friends have started to 'like' the page.

Here is the page:
http://www.facebook.com/artofnaturaldressage
Maybe people from here who are in fb can share the link.

Now I am interested in that lunging video of Volker :green:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:59 pm 

I know this is an old topic, but I decided to post my little contribution.

This forum is the love of my life. Even now Sjors is sold -and I miss him very much- I keep coming back so read, think and read, think and process again.

I know I did not post a lot of answers here, but thats mainly because I hadn't enough courange to do so. Being a newbie, the questions you have that are already in the forum etc. And, I felt a bit discouraged by nobody answering on my (very few) dairy posts with Sjors. I would have loved to write more and more, but I thought that, if noone was going to read it, whats the point?

Maybe I just should have gone on and one, but I am a person that needs some encouragement. I'm not sure if I have my wordings right at the moment, but I hope the most of you understand wat I mean.

After that the farmer who oned Sjors decided to sell him because I had to go away on my internships. One in the Netherlands, but far away from Sjors, and with not enough time to visit him every weekend, and one in the USA where I am at this moment. The farmer decided that since nobody took care of him when I wasnt there, he could sell him for a good price.

That, and they never understood my vieuw anyway. His daughter made it very clear to me I wasnt welcome anymore after selling Sjors and taking care of a toroughbred who hurt her leg while jumping a fence (barbed wire). So, now I am sad about Sjors and the situation that happened here, and do not have a lot to tell you guys except: "I miss my little Haflinger".

On the other hand to end with a positive note: I found a barn where I can do some clicker training with the old horses (targetting etc).

This forum gave (still gives) me the hope/confidence that, once I am able to own my own horse, I can do it the AND way. And I will do it the AND/my way.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you very much for your reply, Arike! I am sooo sorry that I did not reply to your diary posts, and I have no idea why I didn't. Perhaps it was a time when I was very busy, but of course that's not an excuse. :blush:

Sorry to read that you had to sell your cute little Sjors, but I still hope to read more from you in the future and I am looking forward to learning from your experiences with the other horses that will come your way. :smile:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:48 pm 

Thank you Romy!

I hope to keep reading and learning from all of you, and when there is a horse on my path that needs care, we take him or her in. Thats the decision my boyfriend and i made. When we have our house and averything is settled doen, then we go and look actively for a horse -if so, his preferences go to a draft, so if someone knows a draft who is in search for a new owner.. ;]

Meanwhile, I try and post some more too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:55 pm 

Arike, I'm sorry that you stopped writing in your diary. I know the feeling of no answers to your own posts, when they seem so important to oneself. You can be assured though, that there's always someone reading your posts, even if they don't write something in response. I for example read each and every new post, but I only respond when I feel I have something meaningful to contribute. (Or when I can't help it and have to say: 'Cuuute!' :funny:)

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Houyhnhnm wrote:
I for example read each and every new post, but I only respond when I feel I have something meaningful to contribute. (Or when I can't help it and have to say: 'Cuuute!' :funny:)

Same here. I also read everything, but I try not to write too many posts that contain just smileys or messages like "Oh, that's great!" - even though that is what I think most of the time when reading a diary entry. But I have noticed how these kinds of posts, when they appear in large quantities, actually keep me from reading in other forums, because I find it so annoying to search for the bits of content-information in between all the "socially motivated" posts.

So please don't feel discouraged if I do not reply, because most of the time this has nothing to do with what I think about the writer or his posts but just with me trying to keep the forum informative.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:18 am 

Dear Houyhnhnm (I am really curious where that name came from) and Romy :kiss: ,

I blame nobody for this, but maybe myself ;)
I am encouraged to write a bit again, now I can try something out with Travis, but since thats only for a few weeks there is probably nothing much worth writing.

We'll see, and otherwise we have to wait till i found a new "guinea pig" :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:11 am 

Arike wrote:
Dear Houyhnhnm (I am really curious where that name came from)

I know that nickname is a bit unwieldy ;). It comes from Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. The Houyhnhnms are a race of highly intelligent horses which Gulliver meets on his travels. They are probably symbolic for the ubiquitous racist oppression at his time in colonialistic Britain. It's at the same time the most wonderful allegory of human-horse interaction, I think.
What's interesting is that Swift spelled the name so that it resembles the word "human" when neighed by a horse ;).
Here's a wikipedia link if you want to dig in even more...

Arike wrote:
I am encouraged to write a bit again, now I can try something out with Travis, but since thats only for a few weeks there is probably nothing much worth writing.
Well, actually I think that sometimes the best thoughts and insights come from chance occasions - as opposed to carefully planned every day training. The real good stuff happens, when you least expect it. Often even with people who are not with their horses day by day, as that makes you kind of blind sometimes for the subtleties of human-horse interaction.
So really don't think that you have to have your own horse to be able to write meaningful things here - for me it's all about keeping an open eye :f:.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:42 am 

Houyhnhnm wrote:
Arike wrote:
Dear Houyhnhnm (I am really curious where that name came from)

I know that nickname is a bit unwieldy ;). It comes from Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. The Houyhnhnms are a race of highly intelligent horses which Gulliver meets on his travels. They are probably symbolic for the ubiquitous racist oppression at his time in colonialistic Britain. It's at the same time the most wonderful allegory of human-horse interaction, I think.
What's interesting is that Swift spelled the name so that it resembles the word "human" when neighed by a horse ;).
Here's a wikipedia link if you want to dig in even more...[/ quote]

Very interesting! I have found my next literature project.

Quote:
Well, actually I think that sometimes the best thoughts and insights come from chance occasions - as opposed to carefully planned every day training. The real good stuff happens, when you least expect it. Often even with people who are not with their horses day by day, as that makes you kind of blind sometimes for the subtleties of human-horse interaction.
So really don't think that you have to have your own horse to be able to write meaningful things here - for me it's all about keeping an open eye :f:.

Okay, I think youhave convinced me, and I really want to Introduce Travis to you all, because he is so special. :green:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:47 pm 

Wonderful topic :smile:

I'm actually writing after reading Miriam's post and feeling quite quite "linked" to it, because I was the whole lot depressed myself.
And I love the mandala book...if you'll read this, Miriam ;)

As goes for quite some others here, I lost my horses, because they are not really mine, and I haven't been around here in quite a while, but I'm glad I found my way back and I'm very excited to see what's going on and who is still around from some years ago...

:f:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:09 pm 

Volker wrote
Quote:
I know the feeling of no answers to your own posts, when they seem so important to oneself. You can be assured though, that there's always someone reading your posts, even if they don't write something in response. I for example read each and every new post, but I only respond when I feel I have something meaningful to contribute.

Romy wrote
Quote:
I also read everything, but I try not to write too many posts that contain just smileys or messages like "Oh, that's great!" - even though that is what I think most of the time when reading a diary entry. But I have noticed how these kinds of posts, when they appear in large quantities, actually keep me from reading in other forums, because I find it so annoying to search for the bits of content-information in between all the "socially motivated" posts.

That explains a lot...
In the beginning, I found it strange as well, that there are less answeres than in other forums. But actually, I start to understand it and in the meantime, I start to appreciate that very much.

I didn t expect that, but it is not that easy, to cultivate my own forum style 8)