The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Whould you help such a horse, or let it go?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Don't know 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 0
 Post subject: Snoopy, the great change
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:56 am 

It's a long time since our last update here, much have happened, and our litle guy has shown a lot of change, emotionally.

A tiny resume of what we know of his past life:
Shetlandspony 17 years old
Birth name: Surprise

And thats about it, we don't know more about his origin, hes a tiny hairy mystery, though, we do know that he for longer periods of time, were a ridingschool pony, and we do know that he did not like it at all, he turned to agression towards humans, especially towards kids. He were an fat litle lump og teeth that came charging for you in the padock, and on top of that, his self-asteem were down to 0, the whole pony got this aura of pain and depression glowing around him. A lot of people think I'm wierd for taking him in, I personally think it's wierd to leave him, I mean, how could I possibly do such a thing? I guess we actually were quite alike

Last weekend, we atended a clinic whit Ellen Ofstad, a werry talented woman(if you ever get the chanse to attend her clinics, do so), I learned lot's of new stuff, but more importantly, my pony, mye tiny litle sweetheart of a pony, loved the whole session, although there were other people he had never met before that practiced whit him, His positivity charmed the audience, and their afection made him feel great, I nearly sat there whit tears in my eyes, to see him have so much fun, It's now hard to imagine all the Frustration and anger he once held towards humans.

There are lots of tiny experiences like this, and I'll share them one by one later, they all thought me stuff, maybe they are able to tach others as well, Snoopy really is the greatest tutor I've ever had, and I hope that his previous troubles and our past four years might also help others.

Cheers Lia and Snoopy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:13 pm 

Congratulations for all your achievements! It´s surely wonderful to have changed the life of a horse so completely with positive training.
I can see why you´re happy to have found Ellen as a trainer, it´s so rare to find someone who uses positive methods with horses. Even clicker training, as acknowledged as it may be, is still very hard to find among horse trainers.

The horse owes us nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:01 pm 

Indeed, luckily, as I am from Norway, I get the chanse to attend her clinics often, and I still havent found even one statement that I dissagre whit her, she is, if not the only one, one of fiev that use this method, or atleast that uses clickertraining as a training method at their clinics, the only other trainer I know about is Piet Baker, who cooperate a lot whit Ellen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Annelie,

very nice to read from you and cute little Snoopy again - I was wondering how you were doing. :) My little Pia has also been getting these comments about being such a nice and friendly pony recently. It wasn't too long ago that some people suggested that she was dangerous and would become a little monster if I don't discipline her.

Warm Regards and I hope to read from you soon,
Romy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:11 pm 

Yeah, those litle comnts really warm your heart, don't they? :)

Last weekend we attended a clinic, again, and one of the coments we got, really made me think. It sounded like this: "it's so nice to finally see a shetlandspony that's full of life and that shows so much happiness! He really is something different from the ones I rode once I was younger, they were all grumpy and mean!"
Then I told her about his past, and she could'nt belive it, she then understood that they also brobably were like him, tired of working whit the same stuff over and over, whit impatient litle kids on their backs all day.
I feel sorry for them, and I'm quite shocked that it is so common for shetlands to be this way, ofcourse, not all of them are, but this is not the first time I've heard such coments, and i nd upp whit the same question in my head each time: why don't peple see it? Not even when a horse screams it out by the top of their lungs, whit attacking, why don't they react and ask why the horse behaves that way?

The girl I mentioned is really cute, and great whit horses, Snoopy really liked her(and the treats in her pocket ofc.)