The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Sharing recipes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:14 am 

Thank you everyone!! Romy, thanks for the link to the thread. I missed that one completely!

I love the inspiration to simply experiment...thank you for that. As I learn about the tastes of different spices and ways to use them I know I will experiment more and more. My Randy is away, so while he was gone I did try a few things that I knew he wouldn't eat, and when gets back it may be that we cook separate or partially separate meals...but that is ok. He's ok with that and so am I.

Angel, your post had me eating a big load of spinach with my veggie burger. I didn't put anything in the spinach, but I did mix up a little tahini with garlic, sea salt and lemon juice to go with both the burger and the spinach. It was subtle, but nice.

That smittenkitchen.com.... :ieks: What a treasure trove! I could get lost there for days. Thank you so much for that!

When my weight is more reasonable and I know for sure that I am in control of what I eat, I do wish to make some sweet things once in a while (and crackers!) and I want to make them myself and not buy them. I am even thinking of getting an ice cream maker this summer. There are so many additives in ice cream now...and Randy can't eat some of them. He's allergic to some.

All in all it just fuels my resolve to make everything from scratch (except dark chocolate...LOL).

I'm doing great. LOADS of energy. Feeling wonderful! :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:06 pm 

Good to hear that Karen! I am also currently recovering from the stressful year and focusing on the quality and value added of food I eat. Thankfully, Spain where I am currently residing for a few months, is perfect for this! Veggies and fish, tofu and seafood are yummmmy.

Thought I d share two small snacks when u need an extra energy kick in between or as a 'dessert'.

- Frozen Banana! It tastes super sweet when frozen and is great.

- organic and bio brown rice cake with cottage cheese or low fat fromage fraise. sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with wild flower honey. :thumright: goes perfectly with green tea or coffee

- grilled sweet pineapple/pear/peach with cinnamon ( I love cinnamon and super good for u as well) and a spoon of cottage cheese or fromage fraise

I also love thick blended soups of veggies. Just throw any combination of veggies (e.g. broccoli, zucchini, spinach for a green version or sweet potato, zucchini, cauliflower for a reddish one) with some spices and olive oil into the pan, cook until tender and blend to the desired thickness. Perfect for cold, yacky weathers!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

people always ask me for veggy recipes but I have non... We simply eat the same recipes but choose organis ingredients and replace the meat with meat substitutes:)

I love nigella lawson, gordon Ramsey, Bill Granger, Ainsly Harriot, Antonio Garluccio, Ken Hom and of course Jamie Oliver :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:53 pm 

What a lovely thread this is turning out to be. :clap: :clap:
I still love sweet treats. I'm planning to make some chocolate myself that is without sugar. I bought some cocoa butter online and will try making small batches of chocolate with either agave nectar or Xylitol.
I wanted to share my favorite breakfast:
Plain full-fat yoghurt with blueberries or other berries(thawed frozen), banana, some rolled grains (barley,oats, rye) and nuts or pumpkin seeds. Sometimes I put in cranberries instead of blueberries and then I add a little honey or agave nectar for sweetness. Yum!

Birgit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:16 am 

I found a really nice website:

http://pattycake.ca/recipes

Look up black bean brownies...MMMmmmmm. Lots of vegetarian dishes. Many things I'd like to try!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:30 pm 

Hey Karen --

Here's a current fave:

Sauteed bok choy with shrimp

One bundle of bok choy (or a few if you can find baby bok choy, which is fab).
Wash and cut up the bok choy until it is in 2 to 3 inch long pieces (and slice in half if using regular bok choy)
Tablespoon olive oil
Tablespoon sesame oil
Chopped garlic
Frozen cooked shrimp
Soy sauce to taste
Hot pepper flakes to taste
Toasted sesame seeds

Heat a tablespoon each (or so) of olive oil and sesame oil in a sauté pan
Add a teaspoonful of chopped garlic
Add as many frozen cooked shrimp as you'd like (the little ones work well for this)
Sauté until shrimp have thawed
Add bok choy
Drizzle with soy sauce
Add hot pepper flakes
Sauté until bok choy is tender
Add sesame seeds

Yummy!!!

You can do the same thing with Napa Cabbage -- and you can forego the shrimp and add honey and soy sauce to the oil before you add the cabbage -- cook over medium high heat until the cabbage begins to carmelize.

:)

xo
L.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:24 pm 

Thank you Leigh!! I haven't tried cooking with Bok Choy. I can get baby bok choy....I've seen it. Thank you! :applause:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:22 pm 

I was a junk food addict. Really. I'm over it for the most part, but in the whole time I've been dieting, the one little craving that sneaks up on me occasionally is some tiny little voice in my subconscious reminding me how much I love potato chips.

I refuse to buy any, because faced with a whole bag of them I know there is no way I could summon the will power to only have a few, plus there is so often stuff added to them that I really don't want. My goal is not to purchase anything processed (with very few exceptions). I'm trying to find ways to make most of what I like, on my own without ever buying something in a package.

But that little voice was still there. Remember potato chips Karen? You used to love them so....remember how they taste? The decadent saltiness and the light crunch...

I mentally put my hands over my ears and hum to drown out the voice.

I tried to make some in the oven. Some with regular potato and some with sweet potato. Dismal failures. Either not crunchy, or they burn. Disappointing disaster time and again.

Then today, a friend posted this on her facebook page. OMG...really? Potato Chips...(I mentally start drooling at the word "chips")...in the microwave? REALLY?

I put ONE skinny small slice of potato into the microwave...

...and out of the microwave came a small, crispy, flavorful, PERFECT slice of absolute heaven (even without salt!). :love:

http://www.foodgal.com/2010/01/microwav ... ps-really/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:38 pm 

Karen wrote:
OMG...really? Potato Chips...(I mentally start drooling at the word "chips")...in the microwave? REALLY?

http://www.foodgal.com/2010/01/microwav ... ps-really/

:ieks: !

. . . :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I'm in love. Hehe!

I have been trying to buy much less processed or packaged foods too but it's been difficult, I'll admit. I'm only able to 50% of the time but that's an improvement from before! Today for lunch has some very small chicken tortillia wraps (with lettuce inside) and brown + wild ride along with beans. All covered in a wonderfully tangy salad dressing! I'm learning how well various (non sweet) salad dressings spice "normal" dishes up when you're short on supplies. :yes:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:46 pm 

I recently signed up for this:
http://www.habitchanger.com/programdetail/feedingyourkids

I struggle with my youngest ones eating habits, but even if you don't have kids it gives you lots of fab ideas for changing bad eating habits into healthy ones and offers alternative healthier choices.
They send you an email daily and encourage you to take tiny steps towards better eating.
I had already made some changes to my buying/preparing of food, but it's nice to have fresh ideas and to be kept motivated!

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:07 am 

I made the potato chips in the microwave.....took about 6 minutes and turning (plate gets very hot!) but they were delicious!!!!

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:50 pm 

I tired them with sweet potatoes but was less successful. They go from a little chewy to black (the sugar burns) in the blink of an eye. I wonder if there's an interim step I could take to make them work better. Not sure. The chewy ones were incredibly good, but no crunch. The regular potato ones were amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:04 pm 

Karen, I made some Kushari (Egyptian national dish with rice, noodles and lentils) for the first time yesterday and it's delicious!!!

You need:
1 cup of cooked rice
1 cup of cooked Macaroni pasta
1 cup of cooked lentils

Heat 2 TBSP olive oil and add 1 finely chopped onion and 2-3 minced garlic cloves. Saute until golden, then stir in 2 cups of tomato sauce , 1 tsp pepper flakes (or whatever spices you like), salt and pepper, simmer for 10'-15', add a little water if necessary.

Mix rice, pasta and lentils together, portion the mix into individual bowls and top with tomato sauce.

And one of my favorite recipes is Roasted Cauliflower:

Whisk 3 TBSP olive oil, 1 1/2 tsp. each ground cumin and coriander, 1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper. Add 1 head cauliflower cut into 2-inch florets, tossing to coat with oil & spices.
Bake at 450°F for about 20'-30' until tender, stirring halfway through roasting.
Serve with lemon wedges.