The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:43 pm 

for those who are interested (or following) the storys around the blue tongue film on youtube
KFH will give a telecall about this. Check this site for more info.
http://www.dressagedisgrace.com/live-te ... -hempfling

In our country it is a very hot item, even anky have written in a newspaper about this. And she deny it :sad:
on that report came a flow of reactions....i am courious were it will end. What happens in the top sport??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:03 am 

I shall be at work during this teleseminar, so I hope to read the write up afterwards.

KFH is well regarded, but he is not a member of the competing dressage teams, his points will highlight the abuses encouraged by a few (hope only a minority) of top trainers, and maybe encourage the FEI to follow their own rules by making the horse's welfare paramount.
Certainly there will be mounting public pressure which might be sufficient to make at least some riders question current methods and look for enlightened alternatives?

Thanks for posting the link, will you have chance to listen to the broadcast?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:55 pm 

o yes i ll stay at home for this :D
i shall try it to save it on my compu. I believe Mark will make the contact and he makes it almost posible to download it as a mp3.
the courses with Carolyn i save it as mp3 so i can listen it over again. Because english is not my nature language i miss sometimes some things. and relistening will help me a lot. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:24 pm 

did someone from here listen to the telecall??

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:36 pm 

I did Inge. Did you catch it?

For anyone who is interested and who missed it, the replay is available at:
http://www.dressagedisgrace.com/live-teleseminar-klaus-ferdinand-hempfling

I understand that Carolyn Resnick is doing a telecall for them in December - I think some people on here like her work?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:48 pm 

I am listening to Klaus for the second time .. I adore how he brings up restoring a horse's dignity. The dignity that was broken by quick result training.

I wonder if our dignity is also broken by the training methods that rush....

(oh yes, I do know that from experience) ... :blush:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:49 am 

i think you can be right about our dignity.
i believe he told already about that, a kind of, the part of being born etc. dont know if you can remember?
he gave a lot of thoughts.

orangehoof,

yes i have listen. I| know also from Carolyn, i am following (still) her course.
i had listen by horseconcsious you can find there (if you are a member) more telecalls.
from all kind of people and also some more with Klaus, carolyn, linda kohanov etc etc

btw the site which you gave is made by the same person who made horseconcsious.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:49 am 

I listened last night. Interesting, also sad that KFH says many horses reflect society in the 21st Centuary, majority of horses with problems that KFH now deals with are those suffering from shut down, withdrawal and depression.
He seemed to imply that the so called "natural" Parelli and Monty type trainers, Richard Maxwell etc are causing horses to suffer soul death in order to survive in a robotic manner.
Which after seeing an RM demonstartion I can well believe.

I was surprised that KFH felt baroque horses needed reins and sometimes bits because their development has led to longer necks, they appear perfectly well balanced in freedom and liberty to me but I do not have a KFH eye.
(wish he had n't mentioned bull-fighting without making a case against it.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:47 pm 

i was not wrong when i hear that :sad: it sounds so strange....how can we see sometimes some videos from people were you can see a wel balanced horse ?? the same question as you...
i will listen again soon. For all the things i missed :D

i had already notist and that's is mine reason not to follow "parelli things" i saw it by my formal stable some people there with quarterhorses did parelli, and i did not like what i saw. But it could also that they used his advise in the wrong way ofcourse.
i dont know.....it is possible...
But what KFH can, can only a very few people too ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:13 am 

Thanks so much for posting this.
I enjoyed listening to KFH very much.
It seems the movement behind the well known names is happening. Great!!!! :D

I think the point he is making is that the horse needs to be taught to lift the head with the rider. Yes the horse would be perfectly balanced at liberty, but as soon as we add ourselves to the mix, the balance changes and there is a right way and wrong way for the horse to carry the rider which is influenced by the head and neck. I am currently working on exactly this with my horse. Bitless of course (which I was told could not be done) but he understands perfectly to lift his head just by me lifting the reins slightly. He needs constantly reminding though as he will travel with his neck and head long and low if left to be which is not good for him long term with my weight.
If you look at the old masters they had a hand position very different to what we see today where the hand was held much further forward and was lifted and dropped, not back and forth.
In the classical sense (traditional) it is a lifting of the bit in the corners of the mouth to raise the head, not a pulling/holding back. As soon as the horse responded to the lift the pressure was released.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon