The Art of Natural Dressage

Working with the Horse's Initiative
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:38 pm 

Edit by Romy: This is a collection of threads about horses that need a new home. if you know a horse who is looking for a place for life, you can add it here.

Yes, you read the title right… :sad:

It’s been a while in coming; I’ve been aware of the possibility for some time. Life changes, things change – due to Dad’s job, some issues with the farm, commute time, Catherine and I off at college (at least, I will be soon) and who-knows-where afterwards, and other issues, it looks like the best thing for our family right now is to move closer to the cities, sometime in the next 6-18 months (likely sooner rather than later). However, that means we’ll be moving to a smaller property – one that almost certainly won’t be able to hold horses. And because of how hard it is to sell horses (when we've sold before, even before bad economy, we've had horses on the market for years).

Now, we knew the possibility of all this before I entered the contest for the Andalusian, so we are definitely keeping her; we’ll just be boarding her somewhere. However, we can’t afford to board more than one horse, and even if we could, with my being in college I almost certainly couldn’t work with more than one horse (even one may be difficult).

So it look like the only thing we can do now is re-home – sell – Caspian and Deo. Maybe if you’ve read my diary you’ve noticed the past few days I’ve been riding him more traditionally, and that’s not a coincidence – in order for him to be able to go to a good home, he needs to be able to do “traditional” things. ;) And the better trained (in a more traditional sense) that I can have him, likely the better home he’ll go to and the better he’ll be able to adjust. At least I’ll be able to have him understand the basics. So I’ll be riding much more, and I may, may, even put him back in a snaffle, I really don’t know.

So, I’m endlessly excited about the Andalusian and will continue to be on here of course, chronicling that new journey, but sometime soon, I’m afraid Caspian’s and Deo’s diaries will have to end…

It’s going to be very, very difficult, but actually I am more at peace with it than I thought I would be. I know there is someone out there for him. He has taught me so much, taken me absolute light years ahead in horsemanship from where I was. I guess I could go on and on, but I won’t for now… You all understand what your first AND horse gives you. For me at least, it’s not so much like a part of me getting torn out as it is sadly saying good-bye to an old and dear friend, and yet knowing that although our paths are separating they are not ending. Caspian has been a golden thread in my life – now he can go on to bless someone else’s.

For Deo it’s a bit tougher, seeing that in “hard visible progress” I’ve only just begun with AND. So she will likely go back into a plain dressage/jumping training schedule, even though I will continue using some treats (just as I will be with Caspian) and still do some liberty for fun.

Although I am preparing to sell him to a traditional home, I would so very, very, very dearly love him to go to a clicker (or positive reinforcement) and a bitless home (of course, an AND home would be a dream come true...). I guess you all understand that too, I don’t need to explain… Are there places that I can advertise him? I was thinking on the ClickRyder yahoo group list, but am not sure of other places.

~Job 39:19a

www.cambriahorsemanship.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:45 pm 

i am sorry to hear this news....bad desicions...but sometimes it have to.
i am sorry i can not help you, i hope you find a very good place and all the strength you need in these difficult time. :friends:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:57 pm 

Oh - I am sorry hannah! But then again - can I ask you to take a look in my diary? I am struggeling my brain off these days with Vilja and maybe you have something clever to come with as you are facing this situation...? You have helped me with difficult decitions before - maybe you can again..... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:28 pm 

Thank you, inge and Kirsti. It's not going to be easy, but I'm hoping to advertise at least Caspian on the ClickRyder list and maybe he can go to a clicker home... boy, that would make me so happy.

I am sorry to hear about you and Vilja, Kirsti. I will go take a look in your diary...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'm so sorry to hear this! I read it in your diary already some time ago that it was a possibility, but I hoped that there was a way around it... :sad:
I'm completely in love with Caspian so I would love to offer him a home, but we live on the other side of the atlantic, and without a pasture and with only a small paddock a horse isn't possible for us either...

Too bad in this case that our forum still is only so small, it will be very hard to find someone nearby who can have another horse and wants to train AND with him. However, the clickrider list really sounds like a good option. You can also search for bridge&target groups - they also use foodrewards and targets for training. And I know that the English Heather Moffet forum has a lot of Americans on board as well and as Heather has sort of adopted one of Englands better known clickertrainers on her site and the forum, a lot of people over there are interested in c/t and classical dressage as well.

When will you be moving?

New horse book: Mandala horses!

Never stop making mistakes! Natural Dressage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:12 pm 

Quote:
I'm completely in love with Caspian so I would love to offer him a home, but we live on the other side of the atlantic, and without a pasture and with only a small paddock a horse isn't possible for us either...

That would be a dream come true.... how I wish I could get Caspian to you! I guess I'll just have to perfect that Magic Beamer Upper Instant Transporter Machine in the next few days so I can just send him right over. 8)

Quote:
You can also search for bridge&target groups - they also use foodrewards and targets for training. And I know that the English Heather Moffet forum has a lot of Americans on board as well and as Heather has sort of adopted one of Englands better known clickertrainers on her site and the forum, a lot of people over there are interested in c/t and classical dressage as well.

Thanks for the ideas! I will look into those. I went on the Heather Moffet forum and became a member, and then afterwards found that only paid members can post (unpaid ones can only read).... are any of you on there that I could send you the info on the horses to post there, if it's not too much trouble?

Quote:
When will you be moving?

We'd like to move in the next 6-12 months, but perhaps ideally at the end of the summer, when Catherine and I are around to help move. Right now the horses are one of the limiting factors, and so ideally they would be sold by June. They'll be going up on the for sale websites probably this weekend/next week....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

oh, such a shame you are on the other side of the ocean... somehow I really see Caspian with Els (who used to be with Amiro).

And I know Miriam loves chestnut horses :)

I am sure you'll find the perfect humans for them!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:51 pm 

Josepha wrote:
oh, such a shame you are on the other side of the ocean... somehow I really see Caspian with Els (who used to be with Amiro).

Oooooooohh...... wouldn't that be just wonderful?? :love: :love: :love: If only there were a way of getting him over there.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:21 pm 

Makana wrote:
Josepha wrote:

Oooooooohh...... wouldn't that be just wonderful?? :love: :love: :love: If only there were a way of getting him over there.....

:love: That would be perfect, Caspian seems like such a great horse to me. :love:

So unfortunate that we live so far away...

I hope you find a good home for him and Deo... It must be so hard. I know how you feel :pet:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:55 pm 

I have no idea if this is the right place to put this, but am desperate to try and find this lovely horse a great home.
She belongs to the daughter of my best friend, and they have been meaning to sell her....just never got organised. Daughter now gone travelling, and not sold her horse.
Marmite is a lovely well-mannered, 'traditional' horse. She is a 16 hh ISH, with Criminal Law as her sire, who, i didnt know, but was a famous eventer. She is 12 yrs i think, and a sweet, polite horse. I have treated her with equine bowen, as one of my case studies, and found her to be very sore in the withers, neck and back, and was really screaming out fo some TLC. She is bad to load in a trailer, her feet are always losing shoes, and she is getting spooky out hacking. Her owners really are not experienced enough to fix it all, and she will be a work in progress, but a really simple task for anyone off this site i feel....she is aching for a more natural and understanding way of life. I have considered having her, but i cant ride her well enough, and dont like huge horses....all i could do would be bowen her and take her shoes off, also, we dont have enough room.
If anoyone knows of anyone, even if they are traditional, it wouldnt matter too much, as long as it would be a good home.....she is a very sweet, polite horse, and is in mid Wales. I feel she would benefit hugely from natural dressage, she is a long angular horse, and needs to get more supple...
If anyone can help, thanks so much, i have been worrying about her getting a good home for a while.... :pray: :f: :f: :f: :f:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:57 pm 

I forgot! Owners would want money for her.....in an ideal world...£2000, but feel sure a bargain could be struck for £1500-1200 specialy if it was a great home....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:58 pm 

I think it's always worth asking........can any UK members give a home to a twenty something Fallabella. She's called Cinderella, and her owners are haveing her put down. The mother of the owner called me today, and asked in a last ditch attempt to see if I knew of a suitable home for a tiny. They don't want any money for her obviously.

I just wish I could take her, but I always fear with these types that they can't have much grazing, and I always worry about them getting fat, laminitis etc, and all the keeping them in small fenced off areas is so grim, I'm also so busy with my three.

I told the sweet old lady that I would go and see her tommorow, I'm afraid I might fall in love, if anyone here wants a photo I could take some tommorow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:31 am 

oooohhhh :sad: i wish i wasnt so far away. oldies are my specialty!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: i am in love with old horses and i love littlies :love: :love: :love: i really hope that you find someone, the only person i know overseas is in wales! too far???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:42 pm 

Oh Jess, I wish you lived nearer, and I do think Wales would be a bit too far for her. I went to see her today, my heart melted, she's has been neglected, her feet are all curled up at the front, and she has a history of laminitis. Apparently these little Falabellas are quite rare, all originate from the same stock, it's such a shame to end her last years so sad.

I have made some phone calls today, we'll see. They insist on putting her down at the end of the month. All because his new bloody girlfriend wants her gone :twisted: I wish I could take her, it's so hard for me to say no, but I'm so stretched for time and money with my lot already, and this girls going to need both. Also I don't know if I could put an old tiny in with a huge young shire, I could make a little paddock with electric, but would constantly worry if she got out.

I hate being confronted with things like this, I love all animals and old ones especialy deserve some happiness and dignity at the end of there days.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:26 pm 

Is there a Falabella society that the owner could out her details on. Maybe someone who has Falabellas would like another one!

So sad....